Spring cleaning the forums for the New Year.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Spring cleaning the forums for the New Year.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
Alas, the number of old topics on the Spiderweb Forums is causing us to exceed our disk space at our web hoster. So the oldest topics will be pruned next weekend (Saturday, probably late at night).

The general board will be the first on the chopping block. If this dramatically reduces our disk usage the other forums will be left alone. If not, the next will be the Blades of Avernum forum, then Geneforge Series forum, etc. Anything older then 60 days will be deleted.

-Spidweb
Board Admin

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
Here we go again.

Aran? :P

--------------------
-ben4808
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #2
Is this going to be PPP3? ;)

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #3
Yes, but hopefully it will turn out to be less labor-intensive and all-encompassing than the last one.

That said, I still have my PPP2 files if ever needed.

--------------------
-ben4808
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #4
Maybe you got the original Xian Skull topic with you???

I never realized completely how PPP works, said that, I never found a PPP1 topic! Was it maybe cleared with the deleting of Misc.? :confused:

Maybe someone could explain what I have to do if I want to help in PPP3???! :rolleyes: :)

--------------------

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Slith Lord:

Maybe you got the original Xian Skull topic with you???

No, Xian Skull is gone.

I never realized completely how PPP works, said that, I never found a PPP1 topic! Was it maybe cleared with the deleting of Misc.? :confused:

PPP is when we try to go through and save all the to-be-deleted topics before they're gone forever. PPP1 only encompasses the General forum, and Xian Skull was in Avernum.

Maybe someone could explain what I have to do if I want to help in PPP3???! :rolleyes: :)

Aran was working on a PHP script that saves the threads automatically. If it's not done, you may be asked to help save HTML files of all the threads.

--------------------
-ben4808
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #6
Thanks, ben, but I already knew what PPP means and why we do that! ;)

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
Wait. Why delete the BoA forums before a forum like, say, RWG? GF series? A series? I mean, there's actually stuff that's valuable on the BoA forums that isn't already on GameFAQs.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
I agree. The Blades forum archives are by far the most useful things on here. We can always dig up answers to game questions again, but discussions over scenario design are a little bit harder to reproduce.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Slith Lord:

Thanks, ben, but I already knew what PPP means and why we do that! ;)
Because there are topics that prove to be excellent reading later on.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #10
I'm willing to help also I got tons of hard drive space to waste.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

I mean, there's actually stuff that's valuable on the BoA forums that isn't already on GameFAQs.

Agreed... I'll gladly help archive the BoA or Editor threads if it's needed, though hopefully it won't be.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #12
Save the forums!

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #13
Anybody know just how large the forum database is?
I'm mainly just wondering why (since you guys seem to have invested so much time into it) somebody doesn't just send Spidweb a burnable CD, a SASE, and 10 bucks. ;)

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #14
I only singled out the BoA boards because they are so large. Chances are pretty good that cleaning out the General board will get us most of the way there. I will leave both BoA boards alone for now and prune the Avernum Trilogy and Geneforge Series forums first (if I need to at all). I hope this is more satisfactory.

Mariann

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

I only singled out the BoA boards because they are so large. Chances are pretty good that cleaning out the General board will get us most of the way there. I will leave both BoA boards alone for now and prune the Avernum Trilogy and Geneforge Series forums first (if I need to at all). I hope this is more satisfactory.

Mariann

Agreed. Geneforge has a lot of pointless topics there anyway, so it wouldn't be a big loss.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Much better. Thanks, Mariann. :)

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #17
Mmm...prune juice.

I mean, seriously. Back in my day we had to walk five miles just to get to General, and you had to have your avatar strapped to your back, and those were heavy, and by God, we took black marks seriously in those days. Not like you namby-pamby no-good spammers these days, posting whatever you feel whenever you feel it. And we respected our elder topics. We didn't just send 'em off to the slaughterhouse the way things are now. We had class, by God. And good grief, will someone empty my bedpan?

EDIT: And when we told our post editors to make italics, they made italics. We didn't have to go back and fix them all the time by putting the 'i's in brackets, mon dieu.

[ Sunday, January 08, 2006 19:34: Message edited by: Robert the Fourth ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #18
Two questions:

1. When people preserve topics that are set to be deleted, where do these copies go? Are they available online anywhere?

2. Is it really necessary to just sweep away everything before a certain date? Couldn't select topics be deleted — such as those that are spammy, ephemeral, or those that repeat the contents of other topics — but leaving those that are old but still useful?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

1. When people preserve topics that are set to be deleted, where do these copies go? Are they available online anywhere?
Various places. Some are available online. Some aren't.

quote:
2. Is it really necessary to just sweep away everything before a certain date? Couldn't select topics be deleted — such as those that are spammy, ephemeral, or those that repeat the contents of other topics — but leaving those that are old but still useful?
That would require a great deal of effort on the part of one or more administrators, who are all fairly busy people. You can try to convince them to spend several hours of their free time selectively pruning the forums if you want, I suppose, but I don't like your chances.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Icshi:

Two questions:

Aran has them all, and he's working on a way we can access them. But at the moment, they're not available. Just so they're not totally gone.

You'd need criteria for "spammy and unuseful". One man's trash is another's treasure. Save it all. :P
EDIT: Thuryl just posted 2 minutes ago. :P

[ Sunday, January 08, 2006 20:16: Message edited by: Uhh... ben? ]

--------------------
-ben4808
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #21
I was thinking maybe forum moderators could delete topics under their jurisdiction. Or do moderators not have powers of topic deletion? Such arcane things lie beyond my ken.

[ Sunday, January 08, 2006 21:57: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22

Have a presentation on Friday, will be working on it all week. Script is almost working, will either run a final test on Wednesday or start manual archiving on Wednesday evening if it doesn't work.

The problem is the folder permissions, but I was able to get around that by having the script use an FTP connection to create the folders. Basically, there's nothing in the way of the concept, but if I remember correctly I haven't implemented it completely yet.

Also, it's a crapload of stuff this time.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
Valley of Thunder is already gone. Check topic #1775 - doesn't exist any more. What the? Did I miss something?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #24
tAran - what do you need to put the archive online? If it's just space I can spare 100MB easy.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley

Pages