Spring cleaning the forums for the New Year.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Spring cleaning the forums for the New Year.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #25
I just bought 1600 MB a month ago partly for this purpose. The old archives are partly online already here (zipped form). Once I have more time I will upload them as html pages as well, allowing them to be browsed online.

And I still want to know what happened to the Valley of Thunder roleplay. I have a suspicion, but I want it confirmed first.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #26
I generally delete things on general that are very large and over a year old to free up space. I figure no one really cares if no one has posted in it in over a year. Valley of Thunder fell into this category, I believe.

[ Monday, January 09, 2006 06:46: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #27
Ouch.

You could have waited a week, you know... :(

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #28
Two little questions: Why not delete the closed and/or useless topics first? Most topics on the general forum may not be discribed as extremely usefull :P , but closed topics or polls are mostly closed for a good reason, and why not delete those? So that you would be able to save some topics?

Second questions: Will this clean-up have any affect of the ammount of personal posts? So that as an example someone with a 1000 posts will lose 200 posts, because they are older than sixty days? I quess not, but i just want to check it.

--------------------
There are 400 words in the dictionary that begin with "self" and only 8 that begin with "fellow".

When in doubt. . . mumble.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #29
Sorry, I figured nobody wanted things that were not posted in since sometime in 2004.

EDIT: Large locked topics over a year old were first. Your post count will remain.

[ Monday, January 09, 2006 06:59: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #30
This also means the stats next week will be unaffected - user postcounts remain constant. For what that's worth.

I got a Googlecache backup of the thread, by the way. It's more or less saved, and if we do want to finish it, we can do so anytime.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by no chicken for sale here:

Two little questions: Why not delete the closed and/or useless topics first? Most topics on the general forum may not be discribed as extremely usefull :P , but closed topics or polls are mostly closed for a good reason, and why not delete those? So that you would be able to save some topics?
If I am correct, it would take much longer to do that. I doubt Mariann cares which topics are deleted and which ones stay.

quote:
Second questions: Will this clean-up have any affect of the ammount of personal posts? So that as an example someone with a 1000 posts will lose 200 posts, because they are older than sixty days? I quess not, but i just want to check it.
As Aran said above me, no.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
While it is very likely (not being an admin, I don't know the UBB control panel but I have a good idea of the database structure) that closed topics can be deleted first. However, there are too few of these to make much of a difference, so the other topics would have to follow very soon after.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #33
Seems like we filled up the disk space quite quickly this time. Or was it about like last time?

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #34
How long ago was the last prune ? I thought someone said it ,but I can't find it.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #35
The last prune. Evidently Stareye deleted the PPP2 thread, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #36
I don't see how it really matters.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #37
But it existed a few weeks ago, why did you delete it, *i??? :confused: :(

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #38
No matter, it's gone now. It would have been better if deletions had been held off until after the archiving process, but there's little that can be done about it.

Unless someone knows what threads are gone and can get the Google cache or the Wayback archive for them. If so, mail the topic number and the title to me at arancaytar.ilyaran@gmail.com .
If you can't find out the topic number, leave it out and I'll find it.

On another note,

+-------+-----------------+-------+--------------+--------------+
| Forum | Name | Posts | Topics saved | Topics total |
| 1 | General | 43805 | 1262 | 1262 |
| 2 | Tech Support | 2643 | 502 | 502 |
| 3 | Announcements | 7 | 7 | 7 |
| 5 | Exile Trilogy | 2765 | 301 | 301 |
| 6 | Nethergate | 1093 | 128 | 128 |
| 7 | Blades of Exile | 1966 | 207 | 259 |

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #39
Wow, well done.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by Uhh... ben?:

Yes, but hopefully it will turn out to be less labor-intensive and all-encompassing than the last one.

That said, I still have my PPP2 files if ever needed.

They might be at some point - what forum are they in? I think I've got pretty much all of General and BoE.

quote:
Originally written by Slith Lord:

Maybe you got the original Xian Skull topic with you???

I never realized completely how PPP works, said that, I never found a PPP1 topic! Was it maybe cleared with the deleting of Misc.? :confused:

Maybe someone could explain what I have to do if I want to help in PPP3???! :rolleyes: :)

These questions have been answered before, but I thought I'd clear it up a bit more:

1. I'm not sure of the location of the original Xian Skull - it need not have been in Misc to be gone. Before PPP1, there were other purges, less openly announced (and less reacted to). These affected many forums, not just General and Misc. The threads deleted were also not archived anywhere.

2. The PPP1 announcement was deleted in the second board purge and archived in PPP2.
The PPP2 announcement was deleted by Stareye before I managed to save it in time for PPP3.
The PPP3 announcement still exists, being just a week old.

If you mean "topics archived in PPP1" rather than "the topic announcing PPP1", then I recently put up the PPP1&2 archive of General as a zip file. (To prevent confusion: PPP1 only concerns General, but PPP2 concerned almost all boards - the part of PPP2 available here is only the General part).

3. PPP3 is done. :)

[ Wednesday, January 11, 2006 01:16: Message edited by: OMGAlorael ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #41
Is it possible to download?

And on another note, I downloaded PPP2 today, as I said on Polaris. It's great! Thanks, Aran. :)

--------------------
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #42
Unfortunately, one thing we did fail to take into account, last time, is when games become consolidated into a single forum, the individual game fora still exist, yet they become forgotten about, only to be moidered in a purge. *Shrugs*

quote:
Agreed. Geneforge has a lot of pointless topics there anyway, so it wouldn't be a big loss.
I do advise that you never say that infront of Riibu... Unless you take particular enjoyment in your castration, that is. :P

[ Thursday, January 12, 2006 06:28: Message edited by: Eyes Like Blueberry Muffins ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Eyes Like Blueberry Muffins:

Unfortunately, one thing we did fail to take into account, last time, is when games become consolidated into a single forum, the individual game fora still exist, yet they become forgotten about, only to be moidered in a purge. *Shrugs*
I noticed that this time the Geneforge topics were moved from the original boards to the new one (check forums 10 and 16). If it was done the same way last time, they would be included on the series boards.

Anyway, PPP2 non-General will take literally months, at worst half a year or more, to sort and index.

quote:

quote:
Agreed. Geneforge has a lot of pointless topics there anyway, so it wouldn't be a big loss.
I do advise that you never say that infront of Riibu... Unless you take particular enjoyment in your castration, that is. :P

...so it wouldn't be a big loss. (Sorry, that just popped into my head and I couldn't resist.) :P

--------------------
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #44
Wait, I have no sharp knives ready! Or shall I not need one? My nails are kinda long. Would they do?

Actually, sorry to burst your bubbles and all, but I don't really care that much about those topics. I mean, anything that might have meant something to me in the past (see previous rant!) were the topics that were threatened by PPP2 and which I therefore saved. I still have them. So... All the same. I haven't touched the game in ages either.

The only good thing about my [unfinished] Geneforge (Annotated) Maps site is that pretty much all my traffic comes from those pages. The fact that people seem to be only spent about 5-10 seconds on average on the pages just, err... Shows that I really should finish my work and give people what they want. I just want them to plead first.

Go on. Plead me. I damn well double dare you.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
My nails are kinda long. Would they do?

Eep. :eek:

Also, Riibu, what format/structure are the pages in, and what forums did you save (and how much of them)?

--------------------
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #46
Hmm. Avernum trilogy, pages 21-28. Topics are saved as single html.pages, named f(orum)[number]_p(age)[number]_t(opic)[number], and a html.page showing the actual forum page with all the topics, so you can see what order they were in.

Exile trilogy, pages 10-14 (apparently, although folder 10 and 14 are empty), 16-20 (again emptiness) and 22-26. Some of those folders are like ^, but some are .. the difficult way. The html.page and a folder with files attached. That's the way I first started, but then there was the better way, and I redid most pages, except at some point I just got tired.

1-15 of Geneforge (every page there was :P ), most with the folder files but some as forumnumber_topicnumber. Plus poll results, if available.

General page 9, with folder files. This is where the first 'What do you look like' topic resides. And a topic by rosycat, which was resurrected and transferred from elsewhere (I think, or maybe just resurrected) where people thought Rosy and Scorp were back and were disappointed, and then they got confused as to whether Alec was ever a mod/admin or not.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #47
That's awesome - especially the complete Geneforge bit.

Considering what the full awfulness I encountered in PPP1 (where threads were saved as

forum_name/forum_page/topic_title [page_number].htm)

I'm extremely glad to know that your archive will be easier to index. :)

For the next week, I won't be able to do anything, but if you ever have time, I'd be happy if you could zip it and either mail it to me or upload it to http://stuff.ermarian.net (access info is noted there). :)

--------------------

Pages