Wikipedia: Skribbane

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Wikipedia: Skribbane
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #25
i wonder who wrote that
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

[QUOTE]A specific entry for something like skribbane would not be allowed because such things are considered fancruft, meaning that they do not arouse interest to anyone other than fans of Spiderweb and has no place in a general encyclopedia.
If the Starcrafte folks can have an entry on the Xel'Naga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xel'Naga), why can't we have one on skribbane?

I suppose it has something to do with the fact that Starcraft is the national sport of an entire country (South Korea). Maybe once Spiderweb games have become the national pasttime in, say, the Duchy of Grand Fenwick, that'll be excuse enough for us to get away with the same thing.

EDIT: Well, well, well, lookie here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vahnatai

So why not skribbane?

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:46: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #27
The Xel'Naga are a major part of the plot of Starcraft. Skribbane is a sideshow.

Are you being intentionally dense here?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
Vahnatai wasn't exactly a well-received article, either.

—Alorael, who can live without spreading the skribbane gospel. The fewer who know, the fewer who cut into his supply.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #29
The answer is simple: make sure Skribbane is on Encyclopedia Etharian, and to make thoose people calling Vanthai fancruft shut up, take EE's Vanthai entry, with proper permission of cource, and repost it on Wikipedia, as most say there is way to little info

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by Belisarius:

The Xel'Naga are a major part of the plot of Starcraft. Skribbane is a sideshow.

Are you being intentionally dense here?

I was presenting my argument in light of the phrase "fancruft, meaning that they do not arouse interest to anyone other than fans of Spiderweb and has no place in a general encyclopedia."

The Xel'Naga would not arouse interest to anyone other than fans of Starcraft, and that entry has no place in a general encyclopedia.

Whether the game element is major or minor is irrelevant if "fancruft" is used to refer to any entry that fits the criteria mentioned above.

I don't think skirbbane warrants a seperate entry; I was merely presenting an argument.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #31
ironycentral.com is Jeff's own site?

Man, I need to start Wikisurfing. :P

--------------------
-ben4808
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #32
Irony Central is as good as Spiderweb itself. I wonder if he'll write a second Story About the Baby?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #33
I love Irony Central. Many's the hapy hour I've spent reading his hilarious rantings.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
From the latest entry:
One Thing I Know For Sure About the Next Child

I’m not going to write about it.

You know how people take tons of pictures of their first kid but hardly record anything about the second? This will be like that, writ large. The first child gets a whole book about her, published and everything. The second child gets, well, a copy of the book but with Cordelia’s name crossed out and hers written in with ballpoint pen.

And someday, when the next child comes to me and says, “Father, why didn’t you write a book about me too?” I will simply lift her on my knee, smile in my wise old way, sigh, and say, “Well, if you wanted me to write about you, you just should have been more interesting.”

So there you go.

—Alorael, who still has his SEP membership card and commemorative lead pipe around somewhere. He knows he should really use it instead of the rifle, but bad habits are so hard to break.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages