What game should I begin with?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What game should I begin with?
Apprentice
Member # 6573
Profile #0
I've played around with the demos for both Geneforge 3 and Blades of Avernum and have enjoyed them both, but I need some help committing to one game to buy and play through.

With the Geneforge or Avernum series, is it best to begin at the first release, or does anyone have any suggestions? I know the website states that previous experience with any game is not necessary, but I'd like to hear from those that have played.

Oh yeah, I'm on Mac OS X.

Thanks.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #1
Hey Addison. Welcome to the forums here at Spiderweb. Lets hope you stay around, huh?

Well, I would start with the beginning game within the series, or Nethergate, but really, it's down to preference. If you liked Avernum more, go for that. Otherwsie stick with Geneforge.

But, the great thing is, you can download massive demos for free, so grab a couple and start playing!

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #2
Get BoA. It has potentially never-ending gameplay. And a cool scenario editor.

--------------------
-ben4808
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Uhh... ben?:

Yeah, but at the minute, it has very few scenarios that are worth replaying. Or even playing. BoE though, has loads.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #4
If you got enough money and time, begin with E1-BoE and then begin with Avernum. Or you could just buy a game like Lost Souls, GF etc. which has nothing to do with the "Ermarian Games".

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

quote:
Originally written by Uhh... ben?:

Yeah, but at the minute, it has very few scenarios that are worth replaying. Or even playing. BoE though, has loads.

Right, but I don't know if he's looked at BoE. You should; it might be more worth it.

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 6573
Profile #6
Thanks for the help. I haven't even looked at the Exile games -- I guess I simply downloaded the newest demos.

I'm farther along in Geneforge 3, and I like it a lot. Since the gameplay varies slightly from game to game, I wondered if I'd regret finishing Geneforge 3 and then deciding to try the original Geneforge.

Granted, it will take me forever to finish one game (family, kids, job, etc...), since there are so many games in the series (both Avernum and Geneforge), I didn't want to "spoil" the rest.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
In terms of gameplay, it is a little hard to go backwards. GF3 apparently had a number of improvements that you will feel yourself missing if you play GF1 right afterwards.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Addison:

Thanks for the help. I haven't even looked at the Exile games
Maybe it´s a good idea if you look at them before playing Avernum. Avernum are the 3D remakes of the original 2D Exile games. But that does not mean that they are not so good. :)

--------------------

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #9
Blades of Avernum, its engine, gameplay and structure is much better (and personally I like the Avernum graphics more too). Also it has the better potential since there are many scenarios already available for free and still more to come. :)

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
In terms of gameplay, it is a little hard to go backwards. GF3 apparently had a number of improvements that you will feel yourself missing if you play GF1 right afterwards.

hey i played gf3 first then gf1 and gf2 and i preferred the older 2

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 12:23: Message edited by: The Forgotten ]

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Apprentice
Member # 6573
Profile #11
Ok, what I may do is go for BoA and/or GF1. I like both of these games, and I really don't want to load Mac Classic on my Powerbook. It looks like the games are going to keep expanding anyway -- Jeff Vogel must be one busy guy.

It's been great to hear what the experienced gamers prefer.

Thanks.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #12
Definitely do the Geneforges in sequence. The general escalation theme doesn't really make sense, otherwise.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #13
It might be a better idea to start with one of the Exiles first. I grew up on Exile II. It's pretty much obligatory to have at least played some of the classic Exiles in order to be a successful Spiderwebber and they really are a huge deal of fun. Even though theoretically Exile and Avernum are pretty close to the same, the differences in interface make them seem completely different. It's really neat to play Exile first and then see how it evolved into Avernum. Plus, Exile seems a lot more magical and fantasy-like than Avernum because of its more vivid, manuscript-esque graphics.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #14
Some of us are shallow enough to find Exile unfortunately unplayable now, though. I tried Exile 3 before Avernum 3 came out, and I couldn't even make it out of Fort Emergence before giving up. The interface is just so....augh. The spells are just...well, even worse (ie more complicated) than Nethergate. The graphics may be manuscripty to you, but to me they're just pixelated and unrefined.
The Avernum Trilogy, on the other hand, is beautiful. Particularly 2 and 3; I much preferred the few new graphics they introduced to the series.

If you're capable of enjoying Exile, more power to you. You've been through a unique game-playing experience. ;)

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

If you're capable of enjoying Exile, more power to you. You've been through a unique game-playing experience. ;)
I REALLY hope it won´t happen this way. Otherwise I will be... >_< :( :( :(

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6573
Profile #16
I'm not sure about the Exile games -- like I said, I really don't have a computer that can run them. But I just noticed on Spiderweb's homepage that the first two Avernums are going to be updated to work on Mac OS X! I guess I'll start with Geneforge 1...
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #17
No, Addison, I didn´t mean you to reply on my emotions, but SNM. Sorry for :confused: confusing :confused: you.

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

Some of us are shallow enough to find Exile unfortunately unplayable now, though. I tried Exile 3 before Avernum 3 came out, and I couldn't even make it out of Fort Emergence before giving up.
And as one who's played Exile much more than Avernum, I'd say the opposite. :P

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 6573
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Slith Lord:

No, Addison, I didn´t mean you to reply on my emotions, but SNM. Sorry for :confused: confusing :confused: you.
Not at all. I'm simply saying the only reason I'm not considering the Exile series is because of my computer -- I'm sure it's a fun game.