Aaaargh! Windows!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Aaaargh! Windows!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
Okay, this is extremely off-topic, even for the general boards, but I thought you guys would know this, and Microsoft simply lets you pay for their help.

So this is my problem: I burned a disc (rewritable) on my Mother's Emac (Mac OS 10.3.0) and used a special program to do that, called Roxytoast lite 9or something like that). I burned the disc in the format "Mac OS and PC extended." The problem is that my PC Only read the last file that was put on the disc. So i put six files on it, not at once, but one after the other, and the PC will only read the last on the CD putten file. Can anybody explain to me what's wrong?

And another small question, I can't get to the tower of Zkal in the Avernum 3 demo, can I?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
Aaaargh! Mac!!!

Burn the CD on a PC. :P

Anyway, if it will only read the last file you put on it, you could put the files on one at a time, transferring them as you go. It's only six files.

--------------------
-ben4808
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Uhh... ben?:

Aaaargh! Mac!!!
:) You can also put it that way, yes.

quote:

Anyway, if it will only read the last file you put on it, you could put the files on one at a time, transferring them as you go. It's only six files.

Its hard to put things all at once on a disc when you don't really know what other files you'll be putting on it except for the files you already have, and you still want a backup. And its actually six folder, over which a hundred Photographs are devided

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

And another small question, I can't get to the tower of Zkal in the Avernum 3 demo, can I?
No, it´s not possible to get there until you register. The tower is near Gale which ís the only way to get there, and you can´t get there yet. :(

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #4
I have had a similar experience. It has nothing to do with Windows, or didn't for me - it was the CD-ROM drive showing it's age. It couldn't read multi-session disks. Could be the same thing here...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

quote:
Originally written by Uhh... ben?:

Aaaargh! Mac!!!
:) You can also put it that way, yes.

quote:

Its hard to put things all at once on a disc when you don't really know what other files you'll be putting on it except for the files you already have, and you still want a backup. And its actually six folder, over which a hundred Photographs are devided

Compress them into one file. Or don't Mac and Windows support at least one common compression format? Zip? Rar? Stuffit will help you on the mac I believe, and Winzip on PC.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

I have had a similar experience. It has nothing to do with Windows, or didn't for me - it was the CD-ROM drive showing it's age. It couldn't read multi-session disks. Could be the same thing here...
My CD-ROM drive is only a year old, i think, the CD_ROm drive I had before that (It took about a year and then it broke down) also couldn't read it proparly.

Arancaytar: Its no real use compresing them for the same reason as i told ben, and that is that is you only have one set of files to put on the disc, and you don't know what other sets of files you will put on the disc, its hard to compress the files you have and with that the files you don't have.

Another small thing: recordable disks also don't seem to work when buring another session.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
That's because CD-Rs can only be burned once. CD-RWs can be burned to more than once, but only the latest session will be read. That's what they do. If you want to keep everything, just copy whatever was on the disc already to the folder you're burning.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
I thought you could burn multiple times on a recordable disc, and could burn end erase stuff on a rewriatble disc. Maybe I was wrong? Anyway, Drakefyre, what you mean to say, is that I have to copy all stuff I want to burn on the disc afterwards into the same folder as I already burnt onto the disc?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
The other way around - copy what's already on the disc into the folder of stuff you want to burn now.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
Ah okay. If that's what you have to do, i don't really see the use of a rewritable disc. And by the way, all the macs do read all sessions that were burnt on the disc. What you see is multiple CD's appearing on the desktop.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #11
Normally, i would agree with SupaNik, and say that it is a result of an old drive. That frequently happens with older drives. They can only read the last session. It probably has something to do with the mac/windows conversion. CD-Rs normally can have as many sessions written to them as you want until you fill the disc, but my guess would be that macs burn multi-session discs differently form windows. Having never used a mac, I don't know for sure, but I would suggest using a CD-RW as well.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
A CD-RW can be burned with one set of files, and then if you want to add more you can burn it again (but you have to burn the original files as well as the new files onto the disk). If you want something completely different, you can burn that too. A CD-R can be burned once and only once. You can't add more and you can't take anything off.

—Alorael, who has never had his computer see a CD more than once. How does the computer read the data that's no longer on the disk?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
Actually, trying to use a more or less permanent medium to exchange files between computers is bound to run into problems. If there is any other way - say, if both computers can be connected to the internet (with a broadband access, naturally), then even that would be preferable.

And when burning a CD, you should get used to burning it in a single session. Use the program to arrange the files as you want them on the CD, then burn it all at once. Anything else is sure to cause trouble. Of course, that makes it necessary to choose in advance what files you need to transfer.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by An array cat:

Actually, trying to use a more or less permanent medium to exchange files between computers is bound to run into problems. If there is any other way - say, if both computers can be connected to the internet (with a broadband access, naturally), then even that would be preferable.

And when burning a CD, you should get used to burning it in a single session. Use the program to arrange the files as you want them on the CD, then burn it all at once. Anything else is sure to cause trouble. Of course, that makes it necessary to choose in advance what files you need to transfer.

I tried using a connection once, but after two days, my Imac G3 became so slow that i stopped it and re-installed the system. After a week or so my mothers Emac also became very slow.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
You needed more than two days to transfer the pictures? o_O

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by An array cat:

You needed more than two days to transfer the pictures? o_O
No, of course not. I didn't even try your suggestion. I just said i did it once, with no succes. After two days my computer slowed down considarebly and... you know the rest.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Either you were also transferring viruses or you are blaming something unrelated. Transferring data shouldn't have any effect on computers after the transfer is over for obvious reasons.

—Alorael, who highly recommends transferring by Firewire if you can, Airport if you can't but have Airport, and by floppy if you really need to have an intermediary. Transferring data on floppy disks is the way of the future!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
A CD-R can be burned once and only once. You can't add more and you can't take anything off.

quote:
And when burning a CD, you should get used to burning it in a single session. Use the program to arrange the files as you want them on the CD, then burn it all at once. Anything else is sure to cause trouble.
I guess that's a disadvantage of using Macs. I have no problem with multi-session CDs. In fact, I used to make them all the time to transfer drivers and game mods at lan-parties (back when we only had a 10 Mb hub). Perhaps it's just the way Macs handle CD burning.

quote:
Actually, trying to use a more or less permanent medium to exchange files between computers is bound to run into problems.
Unless that medium only happens to cost 50 cents a piece. You can just throw away the old burned CDs and make a new one.

And of course, you could just get a USB Drive, and use it to transfer files.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
50 cents??

I know prices vary by location, but I've a stack of CD-R's that I bought for $10. 200 pieces of plastic at 5 cents each. You should try to find a better deal.

*this message sponsored by fry's*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #20
Yes, perhaps I should. Then again, I haven't bought any CD-R's in a while, so I'm not too sure on their price anywhere.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
I guess that's a disadvantage of using Macs. I have no problem with multi-session CDs. In fact, I used to make them all the time to transfer drivers and game mods at lan-parties (back when we only had a 10 Mb hub). Perhaps it's just the way Macs handle CD burning.
I've had no problems with multisession burning either. You can't burn over what you've already burned, but you can certainly add to it.

quote:
And of course, you could just get a USB Drive, and use it to transfer files.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that would work for transfers between mac and windows. Your computer treats a USB flash drive as an additinal hard drive. I believe that the differing filesystems would make transfer by flash drive impossible. I could be wrong though.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #22
IIRC, you can use an IPod as a USB drive, and they work on both Windows and Mac, so I don't see why a regular USB drive wouldn't work.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #23
A USB memorystick (that's how its called I think) Does work, and it works quite well. i use it all the time. The only problem is its price. more then 50 euro's for one of 256 mb I think, and only 10 euro for a stack of 10 rewriatble CD's (that includes boxes).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #24
Sorry about that. i don't have a mac and have never had a mac, so I wasn't sure if a USB flash drive would work or not.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room

Pages