overclocking

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: overclocking
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #0
does anyone know how to overclock the pentium pro if so how or does anyone got a link to a site that can tell me?

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Warrior
Member # 5886
Profile #1
There should be a set of jumpers on your motherboard that control the clock speed. Each jumper corresponds to a different digit/power of ten. Is this a custom system? If not, you could go onto the website of the company that produced it. Though somehow I doubt any of these manufacturers would give information on their sites about how to possibly destroy processors. Honestly, there are enough customer service issues as it is.

I don't know any specific sites, but be careful.

:P

--------------------
We don't make the white chalky excrement that splats down and ruins your car's paint job. We make it stronger.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Since overclocking a processor is not actually destroying it (in the way smoking is not actually lethal, short-term), manufacturers probably have instructions how to change clock speed. And probably add a a big note of warning that you'll be decreasing the life expectancy of your CPU, and that the warranty will be voided, etc, etc.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #3
Overclocking can be dangerous, but it can also be handy, as long as you have the proper cooling setup. Sometimes, the settings are in the bios instead of on the motherboard.

Just don't fry your CPU.

</leetness>

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #4
Aran: Since the CPU is just an old P1, it won't last much longer anyway.

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #5
Make sure you have fans. And watch the temperature.

While I've never overclocked a CPU, I overclock GPU's regularly. If you aren't careful, it can get very messy...

As far as instructions, I won't attempt to explain on here. Google it!

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
I would think that one would just about do it.

EDIT: Wait, you were talking about overclocking. Nevermind.

[ Monday, November 28, 2005 20:17: Message edited by: Kasumetoru Sai ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
Tentacle monsters can be so condescending.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #8
This reminds me of my old classmate who wanted to overclock his pentium III 400Mhz CPU to a Ghz. To do this, he installed 6 giant fans, 10$ each, into his junkie box (which he found in a trash can; do not ask me how or why.). The thing actually worked! Well, but I heard the motherboard got burnt recently. It worked for eight months, that is.

He should just had bought a new computer. That would be both easier, cheaper and safer. But it is sort of cool that he managed to buff it up like that. He could not play Counter-Strike on it, though, as he planned to. It also looked extremly ugly with all those cheap fans on.

I suppose it was cool at the time to actually make a junkie from a trash can actually able to do something without (too much) lag.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #9
Personally, if I had that many fans available, I would put them on my PC regardless of whether it's overclocked.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by demonslaeyr:

Make sure you have fans. And watch the temperature.

While I've never overclocked a CPU, I overclock GPU's regularly. If you aren't careful, it can get very messy...

As far as instructions, I won't attempt to explain on here. Google it!

Should I be ashamed of my non-tech-savvyness when I admit I don't know what GPU even stands for?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #11
The GPU is the Graphics Processing Unit.

And yes, you should be ashamed. What's next? People not knowing what SCSI or WYSIWYG stands for?</joking>
</leetness>

[ Tuesday, November 29, 2005 06:31: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------