Sci-Fi and fantasy authors...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Sci-Fi and fantasy authors...
Warrior
Member # 6268
Profile #0
What are your favorite science fiction and fantasy authors?

My answer:
Tolkien, Rowling, Asimov, and Lewis.

--------------------
Un ronron ronchonne, un ronfleur ronfle.
Un rongeur ronge, un roi règne, une orange roule.
Ça c'est la réalité.
Mais si le ronchon ronge, le ronfleur ronchonne,
Le roi roule, le rongeur règne
Et l'orange ronfle,
Ça c'est une autre histoire.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Two out of those four, and they're the first and last of them when listed alphabetically. More clues? :)

I can't think of any others right now, although if you count Douglas Adams and Pratchett, for their respective genres, than I'd list those as well.

Edit: There are actually a lot more authors I like, but listing them all right now would take time that I don't have.

[ Wednesday, November 23, 2005 16:11: Message edited by: NaNoWriMo ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Warrior
Member # 6268
Profile #2
I forgot Douglas Adams...

--------------------
Un ronron ronchonne, un ronfleur ronfle.
Un rongeur ronge, un roi règne, une orange roule.
Ça c'est la réalité.
Mais si le ronchon ronge, le ronfleur ronchonne,
Le roi roule, le rongeur règne
Et l'orange ronfle,
Ça c'est une autre histoire.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #3
A.E. van Vogt

Barrington J. Bayley

Frank Herbert

Jack Vance

Stanislaw Lem

Philip K. Dick

Lawrence Miles

H.P. Lovecraft

Douglas Adams

Robert Sheckley

Raymond F. Jones

Jack L. Chalker

Robert E. Howard

R.A. Salvatore

…Uh, as you might have guessed, I read a lot of SF, and very little fantasy.

(I classify Lovecraft as both SF and fantasy, as he falls within that strange borderland between the two genres.)

[ Wednesday, November 23, 2005 16:23: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #4
For science fiction: Isaac Asimov and E. E. Smith
For fantasy: Robert Jordan and Diana Wynne Jones
Those are the ones I can think of off of the top of my mind, but there are a lot of others whose books I own and read regularly.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #5
David Eddings.

Oh the days of tracking second hand bookshops, markets etc while i collected the several series i first loved back in school.

Good times.

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
Homer.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
Shame upon me for leaving out Lovecraft. Probably because of the genre uncertainty Icshi pointed out (can't remember if it was Icshi, but he listed van Vogt first and I know Icshi's a van Vogt fan). Lovecraft falls somewhere between Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror.

Unfortunately, I have never gotten around to reading Salvatore. Considering that I'm roleplaying a drow in Mountain of Shadows, never having read a book actually featuring one is a bit of a gap...

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
Ray Bradbury and Terry Pratchett, with Douglas Adams close behind.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
J.R.R. Tolkien, Robin Hobb, Tad Williams (I categorize all of his books as fanasy despite trappings) and Stephen R. Donaldson make the top of my fantasy list. Stephen R. Donaldson (yes, again) and Frank Herbert are the top of my sci-fi authors.

China Miéville is more fantasy than sci-fi, but it didn't feel right to put him in with the others. Whatever he is, he's a favorite.

Jack Vance is a top something. My internal jury is still out on the genre. He might be a mix like Miéville and a genre-hopper like Donaldson.

Lovecraft is entertaining and influential, but I can't honestly call him a favorite. He's mostly light reading.

—Alorael, who wanted to stick C. S. Friedman in somewhere and decided he really couldn't. He just respects anyone can can write a book that tells a coherent (kind of) story in which every chapter has a difference protagonist or perspective character and have the audacity to do it in genre writing, not true literature.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #10
Michelle Sagara West is my all time favourite for fantasy, along with the usual suspects such as JRR Tolkien, Terry Pratchett, Guy Gavriel Kay and Patricia McKillip.

Timothy Zahn for science fiction. I've carried a grudge against Asimov ever since I got attached to a bit character in the second chapter of Foundation who subsequently died somewhere in the two hundred year gap into the next chapter.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
Guy Gavriel Kay! Of course!

Another one I forgot, and actually my favorite fantasy author after Tolkien. I blame it on my advanced state of tiredness this morning.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
Chalk up another "oops" for omitting Kay. Actually, I'm not sure he's at his best writing fantasy. The Fionavar Tapestry is nice, but it's not as good as his semi-historical fantasies, which tend to get better as the fantasy is turned lower. The Lions of Al-Rassan involves virtually no fantastic elements and is my favorite of his books.

Michelle West, with or without the Sagara depending on much the same factors as Richard White's life, is good. Like Robert Jordan, she knows how to pile on characters and build a world, mix, and come up with rather hefty books. Unlike Robert Jordan, she can figure out when to stop doing so.

—Alorael, who isn't sure either of them can go on his favorites list without diluting the word favorite beyond recognition. It's a tier that can't include everyone. He'll also admit to enjoying Robert Jordan's writing despite its flaws and length. At least his world has depth.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
I'm quite a fan of John Wyndham, so I'll mention him, as I usually do in such topics, because nobody else has and it seems nobody else will. It's a pity that there isn't more half-decent biological sci-fi around, really.

[ Thursday, November 24, 2005 00:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #14
Stephen R. Donaldson
David Eddings/Leigh Eddings
J.K Rowling (of course)

tThuryl: I have heard of John Wyndham, as my English teacher talks about him a lot to me. He reccomends I read his works, especially the one (name forgotten) about the Triffids (sp?).

tAlo: Have you read Runes of The Earth?

EDIT: Spelling.

[ Thursday, November 24, 2005 01:29: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #15
You're thinking of "Day of the Triffids".`

My own favorites in fantasy would have to be Tolkien, Donaldson, Eddings when he was actually good, Brooks when he was plaigarisig Tolkien rather than Brooks, Salvatore's later stuff and Lovecraft, who defies categorisation.

In science fiction, Sean Williams and Shane Dix, Isaac Asimov, Sean McMullen and Frank Herbert are favorites.

Also, it's strange that nobody has yet mentioned, Piers Anthony (and as such avoided invoking the Godwin's Law of favorite book topics).

[ Thursday, November 24, 2005 01:25: Message edited by: cAPSLOCKED dALLERDIN ]

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #16
Well, my teacher never mentioned the name. And I believe there is another one, how all the technological advances go backwards. He didn't mention the name for that either. It sounds good though, I might have to read it sometime. And thanks for the correction.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #17
Brooks (the first set of three and the set of four, plus the Magic Kingdom more so, but new as well), Asimov, Zahn's Star Wars Stuff, Twain, Modesitt (Jr.), Yolen and anyone who's written for Traveller (the RPG).

I'm absolutely positive there're authors I've forgotten.

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by cAPSLOCKED dALLERDIN:

You're thinking of "Day of the Triffids".`

My own favorites in fantasy would have to be Tolkien, Donaldson, Eddings when he was actually good, Brooks when he was plaigarisig Tolkien rather than Brooks, Salvatore's later stuff and Lovecraft, who defies categorisation.

In science fiction, Sean Williams and Shane Dix, Isaac Asimov, Sean McMullen and Frank Herbert are favorites.

Also, it's strange that nobody has yet mentioned, Piers Anthony (and as such avoided invoking the Godwin's Law of favorite book topics).

1: What is plaigarisig? :P

2: How do you plagiarize yourself?

3: What is Godwin's Law of favorite book topics, and what does it have to do with Piers Anthony? I know what Godwin's Law is, I just don't know the adaptation you appear to refer to.

[ Thursday, November 24, 2005 04:49: Message edited by: NaNoWriMo ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Piers Anthony has some controversy associated with him. I personally think of him as a sometime pale imitation of Pratchett and sometime hack, but you're entitled to your own opinions.

tSpring: No, I haven't read Runes yet. I hate starting a series that I can't finish, and Donaldson actually finishes his series, so I'll happily wait for The Last Dark in around 2015.

—Alorael, who can't imagine what happened to Donaldson and his ability to name things. Honestly! "Shall Pass Utterly" and "The Last Dark" are not acceptable titles! This from the man who created Lord Foul? Okay, some things don't change.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #20
Hey, "Lord Foul's Bane" was a great title. Kind of in-your-face, but got the book off the shelves. But in general Donaldson always had a sort of risky way with names; he goes either for childlike simplicity or vaguely Hebraic gobbledegook, and so he's always close to silliness. Somehow, though, I never really got past the first Covenant trilogy. I finished the second one, but it lost me.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
Lord Foul's Bane has nothing to do with the book, however. There is no bane involved. There's not even all that much Lord Foul.

—Alorael, who also thinks "Lord Foul" is the least imposing of the assorted apellations and titles that Lord Foul collects. He sounds more like a problem at a social gathering than a terrible force bent on, well, foulness.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #22
Lord Foul could also be the Earl of Foul, some district in England which was spelt and pronounced as "Foughl" in Saxon times, but in the intervening centuries the linguistic boogeyman corrupted it into "Foul."
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Square Square:

tSpring: No, I haven't read Runes yet. I hate starting a series that I can't finish, and Donaldson actually finishes his series, so I'll happily wait for The Last Dark in around 2015.
The wait is a shame. Fatal Revenant is due for Spring 2007.

quote:
—Alorael, who can't imagine what happened to Donaldson and his ability to name things. Honestly! "Shall Pass Utterly" and "The Last Dark" are not acceptable titles! This from the man who created Lord Foul? Okay, some things don't change.
I agree. Runes, IMHO, wasn't a very descriptive title. There isn't much to do with the Earth in it. There is a bit, but it is spoiler material.

I hope that he may change the titles.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #24
Somewhat surprised that no one has mentioned Terry Goodkind yet. (*Ducks to avoid the barrage of insults that mentioning Goodkinds name has brought upon me in other forums*)

Piers Anthony is sort of "Pratchetty". Still fun enough to read. And Robert Jordan has his flaws. (I still don't understand how he could write an entire book in the Wheel of Time series, including the Main character only in two or three chapters...)

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"

Pages