Can you code?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Can you code?
Apprentice
Member # 5631
Profile #0
If so.. where did you learn? I want to learn as much as I can..
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
Code in what?

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #2
c++?html?basic?what type of code are you talking about

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Uh... I can code Avernumscript. And a usable amount of HTML... but that's about it.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
O vsm etoyr om vpfr@

±S;ptsr;. ejp kidy fof.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #5
I can code somewhat in HTML, BASIC, and Visual BASIC 6. I can also do some UnrealScript in UT2004.

Everything but UnrealScript came from Google searches. I learned basic UnrealScript from the Special Edition version of UT2004, and the rest of it I learned from just messing around with the code.

[ Tuesday, November 08, 2005 18:43: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #6
Maybe he's asking if we do field work for the C.I.A.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #7
that makes completely no sense ,but why not you never know.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
PHP, Java and MySQL in order of skill - I won't count Javascript or HTML/CSS because the latter is a markup language rather than a programming one, and the former sucks, pretty much.

I might have used C once to print Hello World, but I don't know how to do that anymore.

Oh, and I'm learning Matlab, but I'm far from even deserving the name "beginner".

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #9
HTML, BASIC, GML (Game Maker Language), JavaScript, C++ when it comes to computer instruction code. 1+ Dpejoh, Enigma (Alas, I have never had an enigma machine, so I have never used it.), etcera for encryption code. And I can use hexadecimal coding, binary coding (11000000 = B), octadecimal coding, etcera for bit-coding. Then I know several font codes such as:
ASCII, UNICODE (ISO), UTF-8, etcera.

I learnt some (almost nil, but whatever) BASIC 1999, HTML 2004, GML 2003, JavaScript 2005, C++ 2005 (Knows nearly nothing, though.). The cryptation codes, I do not remember when I learnt. The font codes was quite recently.

As for proof:
BASIC
10 CLS
20 SCREEN #2
30 PRINT "Hello, what is your name?"
40 LINE INPUT A$
50 PRINT "Ok, so your name is " a$ ", alright."
60 END

HTML
My web abbreviation/acronym dictionary

C++
int main ()
{
std::cout "Draw some text on the screen."
return 0
}

I'll leave the other instruction codes, though.

Perhaps you should have been more specific? :P

*This message was not sponsored by the taunt&taunter club magazine.*
Apprentice
Member # 5631
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by The Force Is Strong In This One:

c++?html?basic?what type of code are you talking about
Anything I can learn that doesn't require anything over a 233mhz processor. :D
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #11
Personally, I would start with BASIC and HTML, then move on to JavaScript and Visual BASIC.

Free BASIC compilers and interpreters

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #12
BASIC is a good place to start as it will give you a good understanding of procedural programming, but it is a comparatively weak language, and rather cumbersome for most practical uses. C++ is probably the most powerful and flexible language there is at the moment, but it has a rather odd learning curve. If you don't plan on using your programming skills that much in the future, you might want to learn Python or Ruby. Python is very flexible, for a interpreted language, but Ruby is built for the programmer, so it may be a bit easier to learn.

EDIT: Eagle, you forgot a '<<' and two semicolons in your C++ example.

[ Wednesday, November 09, 2005 09:46: Message edited by: KernelKnowledge12 ]
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #13
I do C++ at work. Soon I'll be doing C++/CLI at work. If I'm not careful I'll end up doing Haskell at work.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #14
If you're not too concerned with speed (I'm not exactly sure how much of a loss there is), there are a few C++ libraries that support functional programming, such as Functional C++.

Oh, and I thought you said you stayed away from C++.

[ Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:01: Message edited by: KernelKnowledge12 ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Java is pretty useful. Also, I'd go for PHP. It can be a very annoying language because of its lack of variable types, but it is extremely useful for basic web applications.

--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #16
I've had to learn C++ because of work. Our project doesn't use the features I like least (references and operator overloading) though, and we use a garbage collector.

The Haskell is not because I want something, anything, that is functional. It's because Darcs is written in Haskell and blah blah. It looks like quite a nice language though.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5886
Profile #17
I learned to code in C++ in school. It has been a while, and I don't have a compilation program, so I am a bit rusty.

Right now, for my job, I am coding in Perl. I learned most of it from an O'Reilly book. But the main website has all the info one would need. Also, there are several free compilers available for this, for many operating systems.
Though many of Perl's more interesting functions are based off of Unix directives, there are plenty of add-on modules that can mimic the functionality on other operating systems, assuming one knows the proper syntax( :mad: ).

There is another scripting language called Skill, which was developed by Cadence. But, honestly, it's barely worth mentioning.

[ Wednesday, November 09, 2005 14:30: Message edited by: Aranea Hirsuta ]

--------------------
We don't make the white chalky excrement that splats down and ruins your car's paint job. We make it stronger.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

I've had to learn C++ because of work. Our project doesn't use the features I like least (references and operator overloading) though, and we use a garbage collector.
You don't like references? That's one of my favorite features. Of course, I mainly use pointers as iterators.

C++ allows garbage collection? I didn't know that.

quote:

The Haskell is not because I want something, anything, that is functional. It's because Darcs is written in Haskell and blah blah. It looks like quite a nice language though.

I take it you like terse syntax. Personally, I'd get lost if programming in Haskell.

Is Darcs any good? CVS can be extremely annoying at times.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #19
I learned (?) to code Java at the university, but I didn't like it. Java tends to be slow compared to, say, C++.

If you want to learn a programming language, at least one friend/relative who knows the important tricks of that particular language is recommendable. It can be a lot faster that way.

I learned the basics of programming using World Builder, the game making program. :)

[ Wednesday, November 09, 2005 16:08: Message edited by: Milu ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #20
Personally, I learned the basics from RPG Toolkit 2, the game making program. :)

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #21
C++
I havent worked on it for a while, but it's quite fun.
You can try out tic-tac-toe if you want. To play, just enter the corresponding number of your position according to this grid:
1|2|3
-+-+-
4|5|6
-+-+-
7|8|9
If the link doesn't work, copy "http://www.freewebs.com/ben4808/TTTv2.25.exe" to your address bar.

HTML
Pretty good at it, and I am actually the web page designer for my new school. That's pretty neat. It's a lot better than it used to be. :P

PHP/Apache/MySQL
I was working on a forum software with this. You can check out screenshots here if you want, but some people have complained of brightness. However, I've recently temporarily stopped the project in favor of AC1. Good scenario.

TI BASIC
I'm getting better and better on my new calculator. (It's awesome.) I've already made a functional and pretty cool-looking tic-tac-toe game.

JavaScript
I can do some, but not much. Seems like a clunky language and I have trouble getting most things to work. Not that I've tried that much to learn it. :P

I think that's about it.

[ Wednesday, November 09, 2005 18:51: Message edited by: ben ben ]

--------------------
-ben4808
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #22
Yes. HTML, FORTRAN, and C/C++.

Partially self-taught, partially from college.

[ Wednesday, November 09, 2005 18:45: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by ben ben:

I was working on a forum software with this. You can check out screenshots here if you want, but some people have complained of brightness. However, I've recently temporarily stopped the project in favor of AC1. Good scenario.

Wait - people complained about the skin of the test version? You do realize that any forum software worth its salt can use different skins? :P

I'd hesitate before trying to build a new forum software - there are many good ones about. There still aren't many features I'm missing in IPB and phpBB. However, some of them:

- Archiving the edit history, wiki-style. Would take less space than one might expect: People don't edit that much.
- A more detailed and adjustable user rights configuration. For example, locking down an individual thread for editing, but allowing new posts, or locking a forum to new threads, but allowing posts in the old ones. Or even locking a single post so that it cannot be edited. And having these settings affect only specific groups of members.

I've thought a bit about how to approach the latter one, but haven't had a good idea so far (beyond some rudimentary concept of associating every member group/forum relation with a clearance level, and then having individual settings for certain threads be checked against this clearance). Put the project on backburner because of Nanowrimo...

Preliminary entity relationship model (quality loss due to scaling):

IMAGE(http://images.polarisboard.org/arancaytar/pbb/dbstructure.PNG)

[ Wednesday, November 09, 2005 20:08: Message edited by: NaNoWriMo ]

--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #24
C++ doesn't have built-in garbage collection, but you can add one. It's not perfect, but our project is one where manual memory management would be very difficult.

I don't like references because you can't tell whether calling foo(i) will modify i without going and digging into the definition of foo. With foo(&i) it's much clearer.

I'm not sure how good darcs is, but we're planning to find out.

--------------------

Pages