Bit torrent

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Bit torrent
Apprentice
Member # 5739
Profile #0
Does anyone use Bit torrent here? and can you tell me if its safe
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
Hmm. I haven't caught word of horrible security holes in BitTorrent, so I'd say the safety of downloading from BitTorrent is about equal to the safety of HTTP or FTP downloading, really. In other words, as long as you're relatively sure the file you're downloading is not a virus itself, it should be fine.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
[Contents of questionable legality removed.]

Oh, wait. You were just talking about using it, not using it for what it was made for.

¬_¬

[ Saturday, November 05, 2005 18:21: Message edited by: Restos ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Trrr's Mrtr:

[Contents of questionable legality removed.]

Oh, wait. You were just talking about using it, not using it for what it was made for.

¬_¬

Not worksafe, correct?

[ Saturday, November 05, 2005 18:22: Message edited by: Restos ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
I was thinking more the "blatant disregard of intellectual property" laws.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #5
I know people that swear it isn't trackable, so they use it to download music (illegally, in the States). I'm not sure how that works out.

In the few times I've tried it, I was never satisfied with the performance of BitTorrent. I'd blame it on the source if it didn't act up everywhere I attempted.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #6
some online rpgs that have a client require you to use bit torrent....... so theres another use for it........
but is it safe? it all depends on your anti virus software

[ Saturday, November 05, 2005 15:11: Message edited by: Ares ]

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #7
Bittorrent is very definitely trackable. Anyone downloading a file can see all the IP addresses of the people they are downloading from/uploading to.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #8
I use Bittorent, its great for downloading anime.
You just have to find the right things to download.
Pirating music is a problem on any file-sharing program, just remember that around 95% of artists consider music sharing a blessing.

Try it, if you like it buy it, if you dont then delete it.
Support the artists........
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Support the artists........
quote:
I use Bittorent, its great for downloading anime.
I really hope you take your own advice.

[ Saturday, November 05, 2005 18:27: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #10
Unlike many filesharing tools, however, BitTorrent has many, many legitimate purposes for which it is often used. It lets you distribute large files without needing to pay for webspace of your own, for instance.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
I'm going to interpret the CoC as forbidding the posting of links to illegal materials. I am admittedly not perfectly versed in international copyright law with regards to anime, but the intellectual property seems iffy.

—Alorael, who would be happy to restore the links if evidence can be provided proving legality.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
Well, see, they're technically illegal, but Bandai will actually take the fansub(title)s these groups provide and use them as the official sub(title)s they put on their DVDs, paying the fansub groups accordingly.

On the other hand, the maker of BitTorrent also happened to have his ass sued off of his tailbone for making the thing. (And because of the decentralized nature of BT, it can't really be "stopped" as such.)

So are anime fansub groups illegal? I guess the best answer is "sorta".

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #13
Didn't the maker also get hired by Valve to improve Steam?

For those who don't know, Valve is the company that made Half-Life and Half-Life 2, and Steam is their content delivery system.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #14
quote:
I know people that swear it isn't trackable,
Uhm. Actually, it's possibly the most trackable of all filesharing tools. There've been reports of some people getting letters from ISPs for using it illegally, etc.

TM; I haven't heard anything about the author being sued. As far as I know, the media industry has kept strangely away from suing the author. Besides, I think he always made out he never designed it for illegal use, and went on to say that using it illegally is a very stupid thing to do, since it's so incredibly trackable.

Myself, I don't like it much.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Apprentice
Member # 6466
Profile Homepage #15
Suing the Bittorrent author would be like suing the FTP protocol author or suing the guys that made the crowbar that was used to break into a house. Bittorrent is a file transfer protocol, nothing more. It is not a search tool, it does nothing to make it easier for people to share illegal digital media. Sites that post illegal bittorrent links, however, are asking to be sued.

--------------------
--
Knight37
Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Visit Knight Games!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #16
They actually make closed/secure BitTorrent programs for home/office/remote network sharing much like a VPN these days.

The technology is not illegal, it has proper commercial uses. Essentially, by putting the onus on the users to dictate what information they choose to share or copy, the devoid themselves of a large part of the liability of copyrighting. At the very least they are an accessory, but even still, they cannot control what people share/copy.

Some programs/sites like FolderShare are basically closed-bit torrents, used for Home-Work networking, or remote (as in, multiple cities) commercial networks, etc etc. hooray for bt having uses.

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #17
I have Bit Torrent but I can't use it, for some reason it cannot connect to anything. Maybe it's caused because I have a very weird internet connection behind proxy and I don't know how to set the connection...

[ Wednesday, November 16, 2005 13:10: Message edited by: chicho1102 ]