Mac v/s Pc

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Mac v/s Pc
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Gah, it's not so hard to learn a new OS. I've worked on vax stations, a few years of Solaris, a couple of years on Linux of various breeds, several years of Windows 98 and 2000, a little bit of Mac 8 and 9 and Windows XP, and now a lot of Mac OS X. It's not true that you have to be stuck with whatever you're used to.
It depends on the new OS you're trying to learn. Ever try to learn AS/400? It makes me want to beat my face against a porcupine.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
There are a lot of arguments over whether Macs are virus-free because they are too uncommon to be worth targetting with viruses or because they are better protected. I think it's probably both. Macs are harder to infect with something fun, and there are fewer of them anyway, so Windows is the target of choice.

I've found that academic settings tend towards Macs except when necessary software requires Windows (especially software for attached hardware, e.g. 96 well plate reader), when a senior person with clout demands Windows, or, like the first example, when something is run on an ancient system that is whatever was used years ago because nobody wants to replace it. Mac OS 7 and Windows 3.11 aren't all that uncommon. Then again, my sampling of academic settings is relatively limited, and I imagine this varies significantly from region to region and country to country.

—Alorael, who jumped on the G4 Cube bandwagon. He only got a newer computer about four months ago, and he only installed OS X on his Cube two months ago. It just isn't the same now.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

It makes me want to beat my face against a porcupine.
Are you sure??/
IMAGE(http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/pitbull-2.jpg)

*this image sponsored by stanley tools*
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #28
Well, it would hurt, but it would be more fun than working with the AS/400.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #29
But OS/400 won't mind if you learn it. The porcupine ... :P

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #30
It's AS/400. But perhaps a stuffed porcupine would work just as well. But after you've been working on the AS/400 for an hour, suddenly, the welfare of a single porcupine means very little.

[ Friday, October 28, 2005 17:42: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6278
Profile Homepage #31
as for textfiles and Office - there's always open office.... and Mozilla is great. Firefox and Thunderbird work very well on PC and Mac, as does Sunbird (still beta I believe).

My first ever computer (apart from very early attempts to play tetris on an ancient PC which had a 2 MB harddrive and was top of the range at the time) happened to be a Mac. No particular reason, I just kinda inherited it from someone who bought a better, newer one. I didn't have any reason to replace it for a long time, so I knew everything Mac in and out. I didn't see a reason to change, either, as I work in an industry that mainly uses Macs. The company I work for has a deal with Apple as well, so they use them as much as possible and we get fantastic staff discounts. Hence I've been on Mac ever since and have never owned a PC. Therefore I would probably count as a pure-bred Mackie :) That doesn't mean I hate PCs in any way, though.

I like the easy handling of Macs and I like that I don't have to install countless things all the time. Every time I upgrade something, I can open the box, plug the cable in, and start using it straight away. My brother (a fierce PC-lover and Mac-hater) seems to spend more time upgrading and installing and formatting than actually using his machine. Also, every time there'an electric fluctuation in our power supply (it's an old house...), my PC-using flatmates start cursing and rebooting unisono from every room, while my Mac doesn't even blink and I wouldn't have noticed at all, were it not for the boys to launch verbal massacres against the power company and the dodgy wiring. I have no idea whether that's down to PC's in general or their individual set-ups, though. (I've just been told you can protect PC's from being affected by power dips, but my point is that I don't protect my Mac and it still doesn't matter.)

On the other hand, I have a borrowed PC and use it for new games (as mentioned before in this thread), as Mac versions usually come out much later or not at all. Also, while I was still on OS 9, there was a lot of useful stuff I couldn't use or wasn't supported/compatible. For example, there's no Skype for OS 9 (which my brother uses a lot and would have come in handy), and ICQ seemed to cause a lot of problems (plain ICQ that is, not multi supports). OS X and VirtualPC fix a lot of those issues, though. Ever heard of VirtualMac for PC? (If yes, please post a link!) Oh, did I mention viruses? I actually opened the infamous 'I love you' thing and had a good laugh at it - simply because I could. Having said that - should I ever do get a nasty Mac virus, I will have no idea who to ask about fixing it.

Yes, it annoys me that I have to shout for someone to fix blue screens and other PC hick-ups 5 times a week, but that can safely be blamed on me being PC-inept and too lazy to learn it if I have the luxury of two Macs on the other desk instead.

But it also annoys me that the MrComputer Shop down the road never has any spares for me and I have to resort to ebay in order to avoid horrendous prices at the Apple Store.

And yeah, Linux rocks :)

[ Friday, October 28, 2005 19:41: Message edited by: Laurana ]

--------------------
I outnumbered them one to thirty!
Apprentice
Member # 6278
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

they're uncommon. Just like Mozilla Firefox
Hey, I learn something new every day :D

I'm starting to think I might be slightly too immersed in my work to know what people outside my company use....

Which leads me to "maybe I shouldn't comment in this thread, then?!"

*shuts up now*

edit: can't spell

[ Friday, October 28, 2005 19:51: Message edited by: Laurana ]

--------------------
I outnumbered them one to thirty!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #33
SoftMac, PearPC, and I'm sure there are others. I haven't known anyone who uses them so I can't vouch for stability or compatibility, but they exist.

Then again, the reason for Virtual PC (and the older SoftWindows) is getting your Mac to cooperate with a world of PCs and to run the software that's only available for PC. Comparatively little is exclusively made for Macs.

—Alorael, who will be interested in seeing how the Apple switch to Intel works out. People are already running Mac OS on non-Apple hardware, and it seems reasonable that one could install Windows on Mac hardware. Run both simultaneously? Put Connectix out of business? Could be.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #34
Connectix sold Virtual PC to Microsoft quite some time ago anyway. :P

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #35
I have a PC, that I luv, but I have to say that Mac has its advantages.

I did have a friend once, who had both windows and mac os 9 set up on his imac. Don't remember how he did it though...

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #36
Probably with Virtual PC. That's how I had and have Windows set up on my Mac.

—Alorael, who has found that later versions of Virtual PC seem strangely less stable, more finicky, and more prone to odd glitches. He blames the Midas touch of Microsoft now.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #37
macs can be fun i was mad at a guy once and locked virtually everything on it :) :) :) after much groveling i reluctantly "unlocked" it .....but still at least pcs want passwords

[ Saturday, October 29, 2005 17:20: Message edited by: Ares God of War ]

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #38
And another question, now about Linux.
What do you think about it? How does it works?

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #39
linux was made from people who used windows and were sick of constantly getting hacked
95% of games wont work on it you can try it but i dont think its worth it

ah crap double posted oops

[ Saturday, October 29, 2005 18:04: Message edited by: Ares God of War ]

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
It's pretty good, and I'd switch to it if it had good game support, and if I dodn't have a load of junk on my PC I need to keep. It's a bit more stable than Windows, and comes with loads and loads of useful applications. It works similar to Windows, but it has some differences. There are two very important differences: 1. It's open source. You can edit the OS however you like, so long as you have the skill. 2. Most versions are free. The only version I can think of off hand that costs money is Red Hat. It's a bit more secure than Windows, because nobody seems to want to write malware for it.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Ares God of War:

linux was made from people who used windows and were sick of constantly getting hacked
95% of games wont work on it you can try it but i dont think its worth it

ah crap double posted oops

Not quite true... Linux was made by a swedish guy called Linus, as a university project, if I can remember correctly. Then he put it on the net, with an open source code, and WHAM! Microsoft sure as <jammies> regrets charging that much for windows...

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #42
Sure they do. They're so full of regret that they're a giant in the computing industry... :P

That said, Microsoft practically gives away tons of copies of Windows every year.
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #43
I've had both, and while I prefer my old Mac Performa (from the mid-1990s) to PCs except for the processing-speed issue, I prefer my HP Pavilion to the New Mac on the interface issue. Otherwise they seem to be pretty much the same.

If anyone has a definite preference, that's cool, so don't start a fight with me unless you pay me $10 per word (I'll do the same, except for the $10 per word part - I'm broke and unemployed!).

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #44
Mac OS X is best.

Blah!

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #45
I wonder which of those definitions was contributed by you, VCH. :rolleyes:

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #46
Oh god. Again a Mac/PC war.

Anyway, go Mac is what I have to say. I also use Windows XP, and I won't say I hate it. It occasionally iritates me to no limits, but it enables me to do things I can't do on my Mac OS 9 (which, for some reason, I find the bast Macintosch version. Even better than Mav OS X). However, I heard from my mother that in July 900 Euros will be released from the bank, and if I want to I can use them for a new computer. So i happily will say yes, because it will mainly mean that I wouldn't have to use my PC anymore as frequent. But what do I like about Mac? I dont really know. Its probably the way the system and the computer itself is designed. Every computer I saw from Apple had a certain charm, beginninbg with the APPLE I

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #47
Indeed. They also have funny nicknames, Pizza Carton, Birdhouse, etcera. PCs are just called PCs or "G*****N, S***TY, D*****S, CP-DAMAGED BOX-C**P"!!

Yeah, that's what my older brother calls our shared little box when something is not working properly or at all. :o Can not say I do not agree; that old box really stinks. It even starts windows with two error messages. Great, huh? :P

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Exiled Eagle, stalagtites are hard.:

Indeed. They also have funny nicknames, Pizza Carton, Birdhouse, etcera. PCs are just called PCs or "G*****N, S***TY, D*****S, CP-DAMAGED BOX-C**P"!!

Yeah, that's what my older brother calls our shared little box when something is not working properly or at all. :o Can not say I do not agree; that old box really stinks. It even starts windows with two error messages. Great, huh?

Off-topic: Eagle, you've misspelled your moniker. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Apprentice
Member # 6452
Profile #49
quote:
Not quite. My PC hasn't had a crash for months, and I have never had an instance when I couldn't depend on it. Windows works for those who know how to make it work.
Yep. After windows 98 windows is much better. In fact, I never saw the blue screen on winXP!

quote:
If you like a good, stable office computer that is affordable, get a PC, make a secondary partition on your hard drive and dualboot Linux.
Linux isn't as stable as you think. I saw somewhere on the net that in the very core of linux - the kernel - the code has a comment asking if the code should be placed there.... let me get this straight. You claim its stable and the very core of the OS does stuff the authors aren't sure about?!

Linux is stable in console mode only. Not when using some GUI thing like Gnome or KDE. Ever checked the "about" of the gnome "start bar" (the bar on the bottom which you can use to start programs, etc.)? The authors claims it is responsible of 90% of gnome crashes! How stable is this if the authors can't guarantee its stability?! When I used Red Hat Linux 9 on my PC, I crash at least once per day. My sound card doesn't work when I play a game or a CD unless I go into the "setup" of theses games. However, I can listen to the music from my CDs if I rip the CD to .ogg and play using the music player. What's the fun with that if your PC doesn'T work properly.

And don't get me started about how hard it is to install & use linux compared to windows or mac. I tried using Exile 3 on linux and the fonts were all messed up!

Linux is just a toy for programmers / hobbyist. Not for the average person.

quote:
It depends on the new OS you're trying to learn. Ever try to learn AS/400? It makes me want to beat my face against a porcupine.
One of my co-workers knows that. I hope I won't get assigned to his job...

quote:
Hey, I learn something new every day

Firefox isn't that uncommon. It's gaining more people everyday (I think firefox now has 5%) while crappy Internet Explorer loses some.

quote:
Linux is aOS you can use instead of Windows to run programs/etc. The only differences is its free and it comes in tons of versions (distributions). Linux has so many distributions it sucks because when you go to the net asking for tech support tons of people say "Do you have this distribution?" or "This distribution works well but this doesn't because of x or x dependencies.".

And about editing the source to make your own linux, only skilled & experiences programmers are going to edit linux, so for the average person it's bull****.

To cut that short, you get a powerfull, extremly customizable free OS, but extremly hard to install & configure and not-so-stable.

[ Thursday, November 03, 2005 22:08: Message edited by: pguerin ]

Pages