Opening a Can o' Peas - An Apology to TM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Opening a Can o' Peas - An Apology to TM
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
TM, let me offer you this if I may:

I wrote a slightly tongue-in cheek, but also aggressive and hyperbolic review of your Canopy back in September which I think it is apparent you have unearthed. I fess up to stepping a bit over the line for no good reason other than to exercise (exorcise?) some lingering vitriol. So, I simply ask your forgiveness if you found this offensive. I don’t resonate with your philosophies and attitudes, but I respect your contributions, and if feeling particularly self-punishing, I may even try any future BoA scenarios you inflict, er, graciously bestow upon us.

If I didn't bother to indicate it sufficiently at the time, I enjoyed and admired a fair bit of Canopy, and even more so your Mad Ambition, technically, if not always in other ways. I was actually a bit touched by the warmth of relationships you portrayed in Mad Ambition. You betray a softer part of who you are by writing such characters, like it or not.

I can’t do much about your lack of admiration for my own mutant breed of humor. We aim to please, but we can’t please all the people all the time. Some may debate whether we please any of the people any of the time, I suppose. :rolleyes:

If you have other issue with me at this point, I’m sure you'll let me know.

EDIT: Streamlined as an exercise in concision.

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 09:41: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #1
I suspect a response from TM being 'tl, dr'. Good try though. I would have accepted the apology if it was directed at me.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #2
Spring, you should have seen my original longer post before editing. Sometimes, it's hard to believe I aspire to a "less is more" philosophy.
He'll read it. Curiosity will get the better of him.

EDIT: I did shorten it nonetheless.

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 09:33: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
He's TM. Anger is the only emotion he's able to express. Don't expect too much from him by way of response.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
Thuryl summed up my response nicely: he'll read it, but I doubt he will acknowledge it.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #5
That's okay. All that's needed is for him to read it.

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

He's TM. Anger is the only emotion he's able to express. Don't expect too much from him by way of response.
Now, now, that's not true. I've seen(read) TM happy before, and it's not always because he succeeded in ticking someone off.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
Weakness.

Your assessment of Canopy was fair and balanced, unlike your ability to switch combat methods on the fly. As far as I could tell, the point of the scenario was to challenge typical combat. TM provided ample methods for easily taking out each boss, and you admit to not recognizing them.

Now you apologize for this honest review, as if you want to be friends with TM. Why? Why? As I pointed out above, you are displaying weakness, and I look forward to the massacre.

*this message sponsored by brian and mark*
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Now, now, that's not true. I've seen(read) TM happy before, and it's not always because he succeeded in ticking someone off.

I'm only repeating TM's own assessment of himself.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
At first, I thought this was about the scenario.

I am sorely disappointed.

For reference, "insulting canopy" puts you in the company of well over dozens (an achievement for a gaming audience so diminutive! go me), and if you think I'd not have thick skin and design for roughly 4-5 years, you're dead wrong.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

I wrote a slightly tongue-in cheek, but mostly self-indulgent, aggressive, and hyperbolic review of your Canopy back in September ...
Where?
And why don't you edit it?

:( Thuryl, don't be so moony.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
This kind of amuzes me, and I also find it a bit pathetic. For summary, let me understand:

Synergy tries to say sorry for something that is recognised by others as an "unfair but balanced" review (I haven't read it). Now TM answered in a way that I interpret like "Don't apologise, its pathetic."

I don't see why you would apologise, and also i don't see what's wrong with Canopy. I only came to the destrucyion of the bugbear religion, but think all was done in a rather nice way. Can somebody tell me the exact critiscism on Canopy and maybe give an example? Okay, some outdoor parts I think are badly designed, but that's the same opinion I have on one half of Bashikava (the part you are te defeat the dragon. As soon as you come with the boat to the shore to the north and get the introduction screen of that town (with all the golems), I think the design is quite bad, and stays bad till the end of the scenario. No, I think that, at least the part I have seen, was made rather good by TM.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
Here

*this message sponsored by smallpox*
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
Aha. That was a tirade as I never have seen or heard in my life. That about the bugbears being invisible and teleporting around constantly, don't be so pathetic! After seeing what did they were doing once, I formed a simple strategy (Noooo, I didn't look at the readme), I ran at them with my warriors and butchered them that it was almost pathetic to watch. Even my priest managed to strike them with 100 points a turn!

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #14
Hmm, interesting responses. It's curious that Salmon sees being willing to admit a needlessly antagonistic moment and apologizing for it as weakness. You think that's easy to do? Anyone may note that I didn't rescind my opinion of Canopy. I am modifying the degree of antipathy I choose to let it evoke. There was no need for me to be quite so insulting in how I described my displeasure with aspects of the scenario. I still think it's no less twisted.

quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Your assessment of Canopy was fair and balanced, unlike your ability to switch combat methods on the fly. As far as I could tell, the point of the scenario was to challenge typical combat. TM provided ample methods for easily taking out each boss, and you admit to not recognizing them.

Try it with one fighter and one priest. Not too many combat possibilities on the fly, and when your one priest is drained of spell points almost instantly...
And as I admitted, I didn’t know about the README till after I finished the scenario. I still think it blows that the custom wands have no in-game description. I could be wrong, but I imagine TM is talented enough to have provided that had he cared to offer that courtesy to his victims—er customers.

quote:

Now you apologize for this honest review, as if you want to be friends with TM. Why? Why? As I pointed out above, you are displaying weakness, and I look forward to the massacre.

Suddenly I hear the boots of Nietzsche upon the cobblestones, and I think TM approves. If you think my apology represents capitulation, fret not. It is an honest review and I stand by its content. I apologize for some of its form. I can hold my own against anything TM has to say subsequently as needed. Somehow I doubt TM considers me his new best buddy. And as they say, with friends like that...

Thralni, I was playing with a party of two for Canopy (a fighter and a priest), and maybe a lower level (though appropriate) party than you took into the scenario. It was genuinely very infuriatingly difficult to deal with the invisible bugbears and move on, and I did try everything at my disposal with my combination of PC's. With a party of four, it would have been easy enough. It was an unbalanced combat for other party types.

I didn't edit my old review of Canopy because I don't believe in blotting the past, and I'm sure it's going to continue being a source of ongoing amusement. I'll wager TM enjoys arousing such ire, but that doesn't make being insulting appropriate. Notoriety is just another form of fame and some would say there's no such thing as bad press.

quote:
Originally written by Jerry Gerard:

At first, I thought this was about the scenario.

I am sorely disappointed.

Well, now you know how I felt after slogging through Canopy. ;)

quote:

For reference, "insulting canopy" puts you in the company of well over dozens (an achievement for a gaming audience so diminutive! go me), and if you think I'd not have thick skin and design for roughly 4-5 years, you're dead wrong.

Well, now, don’t misunderstand me. I have no problem insulting Canopy. It’s just not necessary for me to insult its author while doing so. I’m not implying you had any particular response or even took offense to what I wrote. I know you enjoy the sharpening whetstone applied to cold steel. You don’t have to convince me that you are thick-skinned. You also wrote Mad Ambition, so I also know your heart’s not as dead and numb as those of the baleful characters with which you infected Canopy.

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 11:58: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #15
I apologize too. Will you take me back TM?
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #16
How cute is that? Number four and number five do make a nice couple, being virtual next-door neighbors and all. I hope you will be very happy together.

P.S. I know you secretly and perversely enjoyed my Canopy review, TM, you can admit it without losing too much face. After all, I did write it with my concept of who you must be in mind. Let's put it this way...if I were the you I perceive you to be, I'd enjoy reading my review of my work.

Violating Vogel was anticipated being taken as a compliment. Inquiring into the vile and violent planet from which you originate was, while tongue in cheek and indulging my penchant for alliteration, still insulting, especially when we both know darn well you are from the upper midwest of America.Got milk?

I have another lil' party to attend to this evening, and if I get happily tanked enough (I'm a friendly—though infrequent—drunk), I might even come home and apologize to you all over again. :D

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 12:03: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
quote:

Inquiring into the vile and violent planet from which you originate was, while tongue in cheek and indulging my penchant for alliteration, still insulting, especially when we both know darn well you are from the upper midwest of America.
Now, see, you just turned it into a compliment for him.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #18
We aim to please. :D

EDIT 1: This line inserted to please Marlenny. (Come over here and complain to my face, perhaps?)

EDIT 2: There's scarcely a post here I haven't edited, Sherlock. ;)

EDIT 3: Just because things seem especially complete in trios.

EDIT 4: Honey, some of us are able to offer both quality AND quantity.

EDIT 5: This space available for rent.

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 12:53: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #19
quote:

We aim to please. :D
Well since you are so eager to please. What about using the edit button???
I wouldn't want you to pass for a spammer.

Edit: Oh honey, I thought you of all people would know that it is not all about the quantity, but rather the Quality.

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 12:39: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #20
Must we continue to focus on TM?

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Must we continue to focus on TM?
No. I think, unless TM himself has anything to respond to (and he's had about half day to do so), this thread's original topic is completely irrelevant now.

So instead, let's nitpick over something or other. Maybe grammar? Or how about phrasing?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Medicine Man:

The lovers are reunited at last.

Ah! Behold, the sunset as the hold hands and ride horses into the sunset.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Jerry Gerard:

quote:
Originally written by Medicine Man:

The lovers are reunited at last.

Ah! Behold, the sunset as the hold hands and ride horses into the sunset.

Me thinks you need to slow down on the posting a bit. Or is there a reason you've been consistantly making simple spelling and grammar errors?

Not that I take particular notice or anything.

(Not that I'll fool anyone with my previous statement.)

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #24
*dreamy sigh*

Tonight, I'm all yours...

Pages