*Also* in November 2005

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: *Also* in November 2005
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
quote:
Originally written by Taiteilijasielu:

The hell? When I saw the title of this topic I thought it'd be about NaNoWriMo. I was hoping someone would post about that. >:\

Now it's just... I don't care. Post a topic about NaNoWriMo! :0

http://www.nanowrimo.org

I didn't post before because I was busy trying to come up with a new idea for this year. But here you go. :)

So. Anyone participating? Anyone know what they are going to write about? I managed 50,021 words last year, but it was positively gruelling and I have less time this year. Eagh.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #1
This sounds very interesting. I've always meant to try my hand at writing (I certainly read enough to have some idea of what I'm doing.), but I've never gotten around to it. I think I might try this.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #2
I would have loved to try this but I have HSC exams through half of November so maybe next year.

--------------------
"He's mine, go get your own human plaything!" Bernard Black (Black Books)

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #3
Alright, that's more like it. :)

Right, I'm participating, but I don't hold much hope for success. It's my first time, though I remember vaguely you posting about last year.

I have .. an idea of an idea, but other than some late night ponderings I haven't really looked into it yet, and so I won't say much now. I haven't even quite decided if I'll try to write in Finnish or English. I was first thinking of doing it in English because I'm used to writing stories in English, but then again... I am more fluent in Finnish, naturally.

At least I still have some weeks before I need to know. Maybe I don't even need to know and just decide to improvise the whole thing. That'd probably wouldn't go far, but you never know. ^^

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
It'd actually be my third try. In 2003, I came up with an idea, but didn't have the time to write. So in 2004, I restarted on that idea and managed to finish. (Very crappy plot ahead). If I get done something new this year, it will be a first.

[ Sunday, October 16, 2005 10:28: Message edited by: Atrus ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #5
:eek: jeez, Aran! You wrote all that in 30 days? Do you ever sleep in November?

I am overwhelmed by such assiduity. Good luck to everybody who will take that sisyphussy challenge ^_^

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
Yes, in thirty days. That ought to explain the quality.

It leaves room for improvement, of course. I'll try again this year! :)

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #7
Maybe after you revise it you could make us a formatted PDF or something. :)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Apprentice
Member # 5555
Profile #8
Believe me, I have been procrastinating that this entire year. Perhaps I'll do it soon. But I don't have much hope - there's such a thing as incurable crappiness.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
The palest shadows of a plot idea begins to form, even if I can't really grasp at it yet. (And shouldn't, because I'd invariably start writing...)

I might set it in Ermarian though.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #10
Oh, man. I first heard about that, like, 2 years ago. And I've still never gotten around to trying it because I keep forgetting. -_-; And because I'm too busy for lots of stuff. Meh. *pokes high school* I might try and see how close I get. (said the turtle, of running a marathon)

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 16:38: Message edited by: Erika Maroonmark ]

--------------------
A C, an E flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin runs up to them and says, "Hey, look! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
Well, good luck!

I didn't get one third done on my first try...

--------------------
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #12
Hmm. That's right, I haven't told my idea yet. Now'll be a good chance.

Currently I'm pretty focused on making a story abuot these 4 youngsters, adventure-like. It'll be set in an underworld. Kind of like Avernum, actually, and that's where I originally got my inspiration, though that was a year or two ago. Anyway, the people have been underground for so long, they no longer remember the surface, not even tales and myths, except.. well, that's a big secret.

Um. The people there are... I'm not sure how to explain this. They're sort of grouped by signs. Elements, you know, fire, earth, water and air. They're not necessarily purely one element and most aren't, due to, er, breeding (or some better word). It's genetics and stuff. Recessive genes and so forth. Anyway, fire, earth and water are all pretty common, because they're dominant, and also common enough in the underworld. They've got volcanoes, it's all earth, and there's water. Air is recessive and kinda rare. There's not too many pure airs around, and anyway, it's a mystical symbol. You don't get hurricanes underground. Imagine this: water and earth can restrain fire, fire can destroy earth and in a way water (say ice), and water can be stopped by earth (Netherlands, right?). But none of those can stop air (we're imagining fantasy here, no modern things).
That's it's the most special of elements there. It'll be a big part in the story, but I don't want to give it away too soon.

Anyway, the story focuses kind of in Dzinnerva, who's fire. At least, she's showy enough to keep attention until the big things start to happen. There'll also be Sesshin, who's earth, Mowri, who's water and Caeligh, who's air. Yeah, she'll be important.

Other than that, I don't really have much notes written down. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go on wholly on inspiration when the time comes.

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
I am attempting to explore the early history of the Vahnatai civilization (on the surface), under the assumption that the Creationism theory holds. Could be interesting. Or not. Or it could be impossible to write about it. Currently desperately trying to come up with credible characters. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #14
I would try, but the most words in a story I have managed is about 2500. That was for my English assessment, and it was done by hand. I much rather typing.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Before I tried Nanowrimo, the most I have ever written on a story was 2,000 words, and that was very loosely connected.

Of course, *after* I first tried Nanowrimo, the most I had ever written on a story was 9,000 words. I never finished that one.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #16
As far as I know, the longest novel I ever "made" was on 5 000 words. But since the plots were so poor of most of them, I trashed any future plans on working on them (This does not mean I removed them; they are still there, wasting up some 100KB or something.).

I would like to join that contest. However, I am busy all the time, got circa 13 projects, working on them all and I already got "Avernum - the Pit of Hell" to finish.

Have anybody else ever made an Exile/Avernum novel or attempted to do so?

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #17
Once I thought that it would be cool that me or preferently someone else do it.
But I never would think that it could happen.

[ Wednesday, October 26, 2005 13:18: Message edited by: chicho ]

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Same bird, insame name.:

Have anybody else ever made an Exile/Avernum novel or attempted to do so?
When I was younger, like elementary and middle school age, I wrote fanfiction about nearly every computer game I had, before I even knew it was called fanfiction. ^_^ My usual goal was that they would eventually be novels, but I always lost interest in the stories before long. Actually playing the games was a lot more fun. My goal for most things I write is that they'll be novels. *dies laughing* Closest I've ever come is an 82-page thingy that I should really write more of, and a 30-page one I'm currently writing with my friend. ><

[ Wednesday, October 26, 2005 15:49: Message edited by: Erika Maroonmark ]

--------------------
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #19
Revification? No! In an hour (my time), the whole thing only begins to live!

Woooot! ^^ Countdown has started.. Let us wait for the minutes to pass with reverence. *bows*

EDIT: Woohoo! November 1st is here. My, wasn't that exciting?
I guess it's time to turn off the computer and go to sleep, then. :P

[ Monday, October 31, 2005 13:07: Message edited by: Pien' Kiusanhenki ]

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #20
Still nearly 7 hours my time. ><
It must be nice when November 1 is a weekend. Then you can pull an all-nighter. ^_^
Edit: Four now. Whee.

[ Monday, October 31, 2005 15:42: Message edited by: Explore the Surface Now ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
1st of November is a holiday here, thank goodness. :D

It is now 1:49, and I already have 250 words. So I'm starting slow. I'll get back into the rhythm before tomorrow. :)

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by NaNoWriMo:

1st of November is a holiday here, thank goodness. :D

Gah! What luck you've got! I'm stuck sitting through a whole day of school tomorrow! ;_;

[ Monday, October 31, 2005 19:32: Message edited by: Explore the Surface Now ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #23
I've joined. I have no idea of what genre, what characters, what plot to use, though. :(
I've got a long way to go.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
1968, so it's enough for day 1. I think I posted it somewhere here too, although I was too tired to note where (not on General apparently). I'll possibly write more today, but the daily quota is 1667, so I can sit back for today.

--------------------

Pages