On-Call

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: On-Call
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #0
This is a poll without being a poll, because I want to avoid the stigma associated with a proper poll if I can. ;)

That, and, ultimately, I just feel like ranting. :P

Question:

Are you (or have you ever been) on-call for work?

My present job requires me to be so, and this is a first for me. Usually, it's on a daily basis, finding out day by day if/when/where I'm going to work the next.

But this morning, it's by the minute/hour/whatever, and I'm finding that to be extremely disruptive, annoying and to—some extent—stressful.

If anyone has any experience dealing with something like that, I'd be curious to hear what you might have to say about the topic.

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #1
I've never been on call, but I know many people that have, including my sister. My advice is to not take it. It is uncomfortable, it doesn't allow you to any make plans ahead, it's very stressing, etc . I wouldn't do it unless I really needed the cash. If you need money right now and are thinking about taking the job temporarily then go right ahead, but I wouldn't take it for the long run.

[ Tuesday, October 11, 2005 06:51: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #2
My wife is on call this week. Since the nature of being on-call for her involves putting out fires that might crop up for other people, she gets compensated at a rate of $200 for the first call, and $100 for each additional call, with a maximum of $500 per week. It keeps her in shoes, and also reduces the annoyance.

Perhaps you should see about being compensated for on-call incidents.
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #3
Yeah, I need the money... and the money ain't bad. Not great, but not bad. With a raise coming soon even though I just started in September.

I can always say "no" when my boss calls (it's not a matter of life and death or anything), but the more I say no, the less shifts I'll get.

And the longer I hold out, the steadier it becomes. The guys with seniority are pretty stable, it's just crazy hours for me cuz I'm new.

But... thanks. :)

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #4
If on-call means when they call you go deal. Yeah I'm on call then.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
Well, in a literal sense my bosses give me new tasks over the phone (occasionally by email) when they can't be bothered to walk over to my office. Which probably doesn't qualify as on-call, but it sure is stressful. :P

For the record, I hate phones. Talking face to face makes me nervous, talking without any visual contact at all is worse.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #6
So, Aran, what you are saying is that you are always weirded out when you have to deal with an actual human being???

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
Not weirded out as such. Talking to strangers/a large group of people does make me nervous. But it is not that bad when it is actually face-to-face. Calling a stranger over the phone usually takes me some time to prepare.

I guess the worst combination of the two would equate to being interviewed on the radio. Talking to a large crowd I can't see... :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #8
I am on call 24/7/365. I call it motherhood. :P

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

I am on call 24/7/365. I call it motherhood. :P
Lol, I'm sure you are doing an awsome job at it. I can't wait to start working at that