Need a new graphics engine

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Need a new graphics engine
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #25
If the Avernum graphics were to be changed, I would much prefer just a higher resolution than a complete overhaul.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Apprentice
Member # 6304
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Jhaerik:

Hmm sorry for my first post sounding like this, but who actually said polygonal gfx? Hell you can do a lot more with simple 2D sprites. I mean I'm not a spriter by any means, and I can produce sprites of the same quality as the ones used in these games given a bit of time. My suggestion is to use 2D sprites with a higher resolution. Maybe 800x600, with the gfx actually taking up most of the screen. I'm not a game developer, nor a coder/spriter whatever, and have little knowledge of the avalible engines out there, but a bit of an upgrade would not hurt. Maybe something around 32x32 or 32x48 sprites perhaps. Around the level of the RM95/98 stuff.

Also simple stuff like static animations would open the game up to a far broader audience, which equates to more income. Honestly I'm not a fan of gfx in general, I play muds, rogue-likes, and the ocasional game of Zork, but I'd very much like to see the Exile games continued with Snes stlye graphics, and would buy it in an instant.

Also I didn't really like the Avernum or Geneforce games. I hated the hex movement system, and the storlines were just not as solid if ya ask me. My favorite by far was Exile 3. Just a few little tweeks here and there would make the gameplay much more immersive. These games are not muds or rogue-likes, and have a set storyline, not one you make for yourselves. So, a bit of a gfx boost could not hurt, though if it was turned into some jumble of polygonal filth I'd shoot someone. Just a bit of polish.

Seeing as I need to rap this up, and have been rambling far too much, I'd like to close this by saying.....

<============}:x:x:O Long Live Spiderweb Software O:x:x:{============>

I agree, just doing that would improve the graphics considerably.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

Honestly, I still like the Exile graphics better than the Avernum ones. >_>
I agree completely.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
Ah. Well, if we're just talking tile-based graphics with bigger and better tiles, then maybe we have some common ground. The thing that worries me most about graphical changes is that major graphical overhauls like, say, switching to a first-person perspective, also tend to involve changes in gameplay, and the current trend of realtime gameplay in RPGs makes me break out in hives.

[ Monday, September 19, 2005 16:23: Message edited by: Puerperal Fever ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages