Do you live in America?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Do you live in America?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #25
I don't live in America but I live to the east from America, if you look at the world map that's used most by the western countries. Therefore, I chose "east side".

I haven't ever been to America, though I'd like to visit the southern part of it, at least. (Or possibly Ecuador, since one of my friends is from there.)

[ Thursday, September 01, 2005 14:45: Message edited by: Milu ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #26
For anyone ambitious enough to look it up, my exact location is 46 degrees 3'6"N, 111 degrees 24'8"W.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #27
The west side of Australia: 31°58' S, 115°49' E.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #28
I'm on the west coast in southern California.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Benny Boy:

For anyone ambitious enough to look it up, my exact location is 46 degrees 3'6"N, 111 degrees 24'8"W.
Good, good, good...

Now where did I put that nuke? :D

[ Thursday, September 01, 2005 21:09: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #30
44 degrees 19' N
91 degrees 29' W

Google Earth is way cool, and it doesn't take that long to find someplace. If you search for the city and include roads it's a snap.

Though system requirements probably leave a lot of people out.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

quote:
Originally written by Benny Boy:

Good, good, good...

Now where did I put that nuke? :D

I have a spare one if you've lost yours. The Koreans are doing a two-for-one offer, and I just couldn't resist.

To Alorael: I'll join you. Now all we need to do is convince these heretics.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by Glitch, technical:

I would like to protest that the United States of America got short-changed in the name department. Brazil and Venezuela have also been called United States, Mexico is the United Mexican States, and many countries in fact consist of states or provinces that are united into a federal unit. Calling the U.S. the United States isn't really descriptive, and estadounidense is a tongue twister. Calling it America makes sense by analogy: the United States of Venezuela is Venezuela, the United Mexican States are Mexico, and the Republic of the United States of Brazil is Brazil. Why shouldn't the United States of America be America?

—Alorael, who is willing to call the U.S.A. the United States of Central North America if you are.

I happen to disagree with a part of your comment. The USA should not be just called America. America is the entire continent(including, mexico, venezuela, Argentina, Canada, etc) not just the biggest country in it. Now yeah it could be called North America since is the largest of the three countries in it, but you would still be leaving out Mexico and Canada which I think is wrong. Sure, Some people refer to the USA as America, but they are wrong. It should just stay as the USA and period.

ps. I also happen to hate the fact that now Central America is called the Carribbean Islands. Sure, I like the name but it sounds as if we weren't a part of America.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #33
Aren't the islands in the Caribbean called the Caribbean Islands, not Central America?

I can understand why the other Americans wish estadounidenses wouldn't call themselves Americans, but what else should we call ourselves? Unless we want to be Unitedstatesian, American is all we have left.

—Alorael, who just can't be proud to be a Yuwesayan.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #34
Yankees that is all.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Doublello:

Aren't the islands in the Caribbean called the Caribbean Islands, not Central America?

I can understand why the other Americans wish estadounidenses wouldn't call themselves Americans, but what else should we call ourselves? Unless we want to be Unitedstatesian, American is all we have left.

—Alorael, who just can't be proud to be a Yuwesayan.

The Caribben Islands used to be called Central America back when I was growing up. Well at least as far as I know, but now they aren't. Now, I'm not saying that it is wrong to call estadounidenses Americans, its just that some people might be mistaken and think that all there is to America is the United States, which would be wrong to other countries in the continent. In spanish is easier since you can just call yourself estadounidenses but in english it's impossible. I still call estadounidenses Americans and have no problem with it. I just don't like to call the USA America. does that make sense?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #36
The problem is having a sensible noun/adjective pair. If we're Americans but the country isn't America, something is wrong. If the country is the United States and we're not Unitedstatesian, something is still wrong. I don't think there's a good answer without redoing centuries of nouns and adjectives, and the problem isn't that severe. Is it that hard to call yourself North, Central, or South American to be continent-specific? (Central America isn't a continent, but bear with me.)

—Alorael, who is an American but not a North, Central, or South American. He's not from the Caribbean either. Hawaii gets to be special!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
The sensible solution, then, is to change the name of the country to something that's both uniquely identifying and easy to say. :P

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Marlenny:

America is the entire continent(including, mexico, venezuela, Argentina, Canada, etc) not just the biggest country in it.
But the USA isn't even the biggest American country...

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #39
If you're going to America, you're going to the USA. If you're going to North America, you could be going anywhere on the continent. If you're going to the Americas, you are visiting the New World. All a matter of terminology.

My math teacher found Google Earth today and showed it to us. It is totally awesome. I'm going to download it as soon as I get the chance. Wow.

*momentarily checks the sky for nukes*

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #40
"Going to America" != "Going to the USA"

Only those who live in the US think that.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #41
Anyways, it's not that important, and there isn't much we can do about it. I like all of America, well most of it anyways.

To Ben: You should try googling some picts of places, now that's awsome. Here are some of my fav american countries like:
The Dominican Republic of course, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, US Ok ok, maybe just Manhattan, Jamaica, and Canada Now, who doesn't love Canada?
PS. I know that there are a lot of picts of beaches and all, but I just happen to love them.

Edit: Fixed the link of Argentina.

[ Friday, September 02, 2005 19:31: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #42
Geographically, Canada is larger than the US. And 'going to America' implies going anywhere in North, Central or South America, *NOT* going to the States.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #43
When I tell people I'm from Queensland, they often ask which part of Brisbane. I suppose that in the same way, 'America' implies the USA. That is, to stupid people.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #44
If you want politically correct, yes, going to America means anywhere in N/S/C America, but if someone over in Europe says, "I'm going to America," you'd pretty much assume they meant the US.

Or am I totally mistaken here?

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #45
As an American of the US variety, most of the "going to America" and "I'm from America" that I hear means the USA. I don't think I hear a very accurate random sampling, though. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if American really is used the world over to mean the USA, disgusted Canadians, Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans, and political correctness savants notwithstanding.

—Alorael, who will point out that the USA contains far more people than Canada and Mexico combined. By people alone the USA can be confused with North America if you aren't too bright.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

When I tell people I'm from Queensland, they often ask which part of Brisbane. I suppose that in the same way, 'America' implies the USA. That is, to stupid people.
Well, that is mainly because people don't expect people from Queensland to live in, say, Gympie, or live on the Gold Coast. 1) Because Gympie is out Woop Woop, and 2) the Gold Coast is more of a tourist location.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #47
Cairns, Toowoomba and Bundaberg are hardly Woop Woop, though.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #48
I know, I was just providing an example. I think people would ask about Bribane because they might think that other tourist attractions are just that: tourist attractions, and not places to actually live.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #49
Even tourist attractions need someone to man the roadhouses. :P

Pages