in latin please...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: in latin please...
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
For my scenario, I need some Latin words. This may sound stupid, but I learn Latin at school. But as a result of the vacation I'm slowly forgetting it. So, if you know anything about Latin, How would you say:

"You shall die if you speak this out loud"

These online dictionary's didn't help me much.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #1
never mind. i already found a good dictionary. however, if you want, you could alway keep discussing latin...

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

I'd make an embarassingly feeble attempt at your phrase ("Abeis si tu hic declamitabis"?) but the verb endings are ridiculously wrong. As are the words themselves, and their order.

I think Kelandon speaks Latin...

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 05:02: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Aranfoolcaytar:

"Abeis si tu hic declamitabis"?
It's nearly correct, I think.

"Abesse" isn't really the best verb to use here. "Moriri" is probably more accurate.

"Tu" is unnecessary in this phrase.

Also, "hic" should be "hoc", the direct object form of the neuter form of hic.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 06:38: Message edited by: Teratoid ]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Teratoid:

quote:
Originally written by Aranfoolcaytar:

"Abeis si tu hic declamitabis"?
It's nearly correct, I think.

"Abesse" isn't really the best verb to use here. "Moriri" is probably more accurate.

"Tu" is unnecessary in this phrase.

Also, "hic" should be "hoc", the direct object form of the neuter form of hic.

i myself would rather use perire, or cadere, instead of morire. i already came up myself with a sentence that looks good to me, but its nice to see how other people would do this. So i say: GET ON WITH IT!

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
The only Latin I know is:

Mortigi Tempo

Actually, I'm not sure it is Latin, but it sounds the part. It means "killing time".

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #6
"Moriri" is a deponent verb, and thus resembles to a passive verb.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 08:50: Message edited by: Teratoid ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Moriebaris si hoc elocutus eris.

This literally means, "You will die if you will have spoken this out," but it's probably more Ciceronian to use the future perfect in the apodosis than to use the present. It's probably simplest to use eloquor for "speak out loud." (And by the way, the infinitive of morior is mori. Third conjugation deponent, you know, morior, mori, mortuus sum.)

Thralni: Having a dictionary doesn't get you very far in Latin. You need to know the grammar.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

And by the way, the infinitive of morior is mori. Third conjugation deponent, you know, morior, mori, mortuus sum.
I thought so, but my Latin dictionary contradicts this. Or perhaps I simply misinterpret what it says.

quote:
morior, mortuus sum, III. dep. (inf. pr. moriri Pl., Ov.; part. fut. moriturus) …

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
Odd. A little bit of research turns up that morior shifted from the fourth conjugation to the third in -io at some point in early Latin. Plautus wrote moriri, but Cicero wrote mori.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 11:54: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
Cicero locutus, causa finita.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
I think I'll stick to what kelandon suggested. It looks good, and the grammar looks good too.

Kelandon: Iknow grammar is also necesarry, but if you want to use words you didn't really learned, a dictionary is nice. (espacially if it has the option English Latin). Grammar isn't very useful when you don't know the words to use it upon.

I just one more thing. I've only had three years of Latin, and we just started with the deponent verb.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 22:45: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------