Odyssey the legend of Nemesis

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Odyssey the legend of Nemesis
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #0
I am seriosly considering remaking the game "Odyssey the Legend of Nemesis" into an BoA scenario, or at least the demo. My reasons for this is that this is a really really good game, but very few people have heard of it, or even played it. Reason is, it was released roughly the same time as Exile 1.

Anyway, I want to reach out and convince people that this old game is just as good as any exile game, and is definetely worth playing. If you want to download the full version (it has come out as shareware now) you can go to the paranoid productions webpage(paranoidproductions.com) and download it there.

Since this game is purely for Mac, I wanted to try to let some windows users try it out to (might convince them to buy Mac ;) )

But before I do this, I wanted to write this poll, just in case everyone here had played it allready.

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 15 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=jhLcwVydzXAl"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=jhLcwVydzXAl"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
I played Odyssey for the first time about seven months ago, and really enjoyed it. I like the classic feel and the plot was pretty good too, but I had to play it with the music off. It's a nice touch that Jeff makes his games without background music, especially if it's like Odyssey's.

I would play it if you made Odyssey into a BoA scenario, but I think it would look better in BoE.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Zaiu:

... but I think it would look better in BoE.

Yeah, I know. Problem is, I don't have the BOE editor. It would easen thing up a bit with the graphics, since I wouldn't have to turn all of those cool monsters from odyssey into 3D ripoffs.

--------------------
-T'is but a scratch!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Are you trying to make as accurate a remake as possible, or just a scenario that borrows its plot? Some aspects, like the psionics and the block-pushing puzzles, might be hard to implement in BoA.

Generally I'd advise you to stay away from possible copyright infringement, but honestly, if Jeff allows scenarios set in the Star Wars universe to be put up on SW's site I don't think he's going to be overly strict about a scenario inspired by an obscure game.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #4
I don't think anyone would mind, since right now my plan is to remake the demo, not the actual game. If I do remake the actual game, I'll e-mail Richard Rouse the 3rd myself and ask.

Anyway, the demo doesn't contain the block puzzles, so I don't have to worry about that. And psionics? could probably turn them into custom abilities.

This would be slighty difficult, sinse there is like thiry or forty different psionics in the actual game, but that could probably be solved by making each island in the arpichilago(please, someone, correct me, awful speller...) a scenario in itself. This would also help me split the gamemaking part into sections I could handle.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, what? Star Wars scenarios ? Man, I'm heading over to spiderweb!

--------------------
-T'is but a scratch!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
The scenario in question is "Blade of the Jedi", for BoE. Be advised that it sucks.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #6
I would be surprised if it didn't, seeing the name.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by :Slash::
If you want to download the full version (it has come out as shareware now) you can go to the paranoid productions webpage(paranoidproductions.com) and download it there.

Paranoid productions! I'm so proud!

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #8
Sry, double post.

[ Sunday, August 07, 2005 00:39: Message edited by: :Slash: ]
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #9
Yeah, Odyssey was their first game. In fact, Richard Rouse worked at Bungie at the time they were making Minotaur, and the basic idea for the game wasn't really his. Some other guy(Alan something, I think) was working on a game called arpichelago(I really have to learn to spell that.) and when Bungie started focusing on FPS's for Mac (Marathon) he gave the project to Our Boy Richard, who changed everything, and turned the game into an kick-ass rpg.

This is a quote from an article i found on the net a long while back. I downloaded it, but for some reason, I can't get url. It is written by our very own Jeff Vogel!

"Well, a new holiday season has come and gone, bringing with it a crop of interesting and promising new role-playing games, greatly varied in their appearance, style, and quality.

However, I've only just started Planescape: Torment, so I don't have anything to say about it yet. And when I approached my desk with an Ultima IX CD in my hand, my computer made a pitiful little screaming noise and threw itself out the window.

Thus, I'm going to react to this flood of new games in the only sensible way: I'm going to write a whole column about a game you've never heard of, never played, and never will play. Why? As a follow-up to last month's column on role-playing in computer games. I'm going to tell you about the game that, for me, best captured the feeling of actually playing a character. Bear with me. It's worth the trip.

The game was called Odyssey: The Legend of Nemesis. It came out for the Macintosh about 4 years ago, bounced around for a while, and disappeared from the face of the earth.

It was your standard early-Ultima style chopfest. You play a single character who has been trapped on this chain of six islands, each with its own people and culture. Your goal is to reach and deal with this evil wizard, who has afflicted each of these isles with a curse. Then, with luck, you will escape the islands and get on with your life.

It all sounds pretty standard, I admit, but consider this. One of these islands is ruled by an evil lord, who crushes the people under his iron fist. When you get to this island, you get to see, first-hand, the results of his heartless tyranny. Everyone tells you, again and again, what a bad person he is and how horrible his crimes are. By the time you're sneaking into his fortress, you're more than ready to kill the guy.

Again, standard stuff.

But then, once you fight your way to the highest level of the castle and confront the evil lord, he talks to you. He explains who he is, what happened to him, and how he became the cruel despot. In a long, excellent, carefully crafted speech, he tells you his story, and actually becomes almost a sympathetic character. He even tells you how to reach the evil wizard. And he asks you to please be merciful and not kill him.

So now, what do you do?

Even in recent games, nothing conveys a story like good, old-fashioned text
He opens a magic portal, enabling you to continue your quest. The question is: before you go, do you kill the guy? It doesn't make any difference to the game. It's a pure role-playing decision. Mercy or justice? Forgiveness or blood?

When I got to this point in the game, I stared at the monitor for five minutes. I thought about my character and what I wanted to do. Finally, I let the evil lord live. And, for those few minutes, I was role-playing, in a computer game.

Then you reach the evil wizard's tower. Here, things get even more interesting. You see, you can fight the wizard if you want. You get the big fight you've been lusting for. However, killing the wizard doesn't end the game or solve any problems. The curse on the islands is caused by his powerful magic staff, which is in the basement. You can break the staff, freeing the islands and all of the people you've just met and fought to help. Unfortunately, breaking the staff kills you. No saving throw. You just die.

Sounds grim. So instead, you can find a boat and flee the islands. In this case, if you've left the wizard alive, then the status quo is retained. The islanders remain under his curse. If you gave in to blood lust, however, and killed the wizard, worse things happen. His magic goes wild, and all of the islands are destroyed. Very unpleasant.

So what do you do? Do you die for the greater good, or do you save your own skin and leave things the same (or worse) than they were before? I'll tell you what I did. I stopped. I couldn't finish the game. The choices were too difficult. I went and played Warcraft instead.

This was, in my opinion, one of the finest examples of a computer game encouraging role-playing. The complexity of the situations and the difficult choices they required truly forced me to figure out what sort of character I wanted to play and to act on it. However, this sort of fun isn't for everyone.

Even very complicated games like Fallout tend to spend most of their time in fairly simple fighting and searching mode, and that is a good thing. Moral complexity is good, once in a while, but most of the time, when I sit down in front of a computer for a few hours of leisure, I want to play the good guy, make the world a better place, and kick some righteous ass.

Anyway, Odyssey: The Legend of Nemesis was designed by this guy named Richard Rouse III. He's an evil genius, he's still designing games, and I wish him well. Next month, I'll write about something you've played. Promise.

by Jeff Vogel"

--------------------
-T'is but a scratch!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by :Slash::
Yeah, I know. Problem is, I don't have the BOE editor.
That's free. :)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #11
No, actually, it's not. Only the Exile games are free.

I played Odyssey a long time ago but got stuck early on and moved on to other things. It could potentially make a very good scenario, though, from what I've seen and heard.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

Only the Exile games are free.
Something is wrong with this statement. If it means that E1, E2, and E3 are free, it's false. If it means that 3rd-party BoE scenarios are free after registering BoE, it's pretty misleading. If it means that the BoA editor is free, then it's pretty seriously off.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
The BoE scenario editor is free. It's the ability to play the scenarios you make that you pay for. Anyone who believes that a scenario can be made without any testing is deluded, though, and anyone who believes that other people will do the alpha testing is also deluded.

The Exile games are indeed free if all you want is the demos. I still don't understand.

—Alorael, who doubts that there will be any hue and cry over the remaking of a game that has already been released for free. If you really care, you could email Richard Rouse and ask for permission.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
Yeah, what I meant was pretty much what Alo said. The BoE editor is free, but it's pretty impractical to construct a bug-free scenario unless you're one of those people that never make mistakes.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #15
I'm gonna do it. A majority of those that have voted haven't heard of the game until now, so that will be my motivation. Anyway, I've allready started, and actually finished the first Vex Chamber(Trickier than it seems). The Scenario will have to be played with only one Party member, and it will probably be a preset. Otherwise, some dungeons and puzzles would have to be completely remade, qand I'm not good at that...

--------------------
-T'is but a scratch!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)