Flight Simulator

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Flight Simulator
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
This topic is probably far to general, but what the heck.

Since Flight Simulator 2002 is slowly getting older, its price dropped more than 50 %, so i think of buying it. At the moment, I only have FS 98, and compared with FS 2002, its extremely old. Can anybody here of you tell me if the following things are true? 9so its really worth buiyng it?)

1) The airports are much more detailed, and they contain much more airplaqnes driving around, taking off and landing (this my most important point to buy it. The situation in FS 98 is really getting irritating. For example: Schiphol, one of the worlds largest international airports, were every day more than 150 airplanes take of and land, is completely empty! not one airplane to be seen in FS 98! imagine O'hare international airport completely empty. is that realistic?).

2) Planes are more detailed and there are many sorts of airplanes driving around (in FS 98, O'Hare international has only ne type of airplane riving around, in lots of colors. Actually, that is quite stupid.)

3) the terrain contains more (detailed) houses.

4) the hole interface is nicer and better made. cockpits are more realistic, and more flyable airplanes have a 3D view.

that's about it I think. Are most of these (certainly point 1) true?

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
Well, I'd imagine any game made 4 years after the last one in the series will be significantly better. Though it doesn't actually cost that much to just get the 2004 version, which is better yet.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
Well, Ben,

You're right about that but think of this:

FS 2004: about $60

FS 2002: about $25

Understand the point here? not that I don't have the money, just want something cheaper. I'll buy an other version when FS 2010 is out or something (if its not FS 2009 or FS 2011 that comes out).

anyway, I'm also going to buy BoA as soon as I'm back home again (This message is posted from a place near Washington).

At the moment I spend a lot of money, so I'm trying to buy thins that are cheaper and almost as good as the newest version. I just got a new trombone, which I paid a part of it, about $400, then also FS2002 and BoA is $50. I'm beginning to feel the bottom of my purse....

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #3
:eek:

You can get it a lot of places for under $60. Or you should. I think it was only $30 or so at WalMart.

It's only $25 at Amazon, but S&H will bring the price up considerably.

EDIT: Hmmm, sorry, that link may not work...

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 11:02: Message edited by: ben XIII ]

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
$30 !!!!

HOW CHEAP!!!!! I probably live in the most exspensive place on earthg then.... In Holland its very exspensive then. The problem though is, that if I buy it here, in Aerica, my mother would get to know it, and would shoot me for that. If there is one thing she hates, its that I play computer games. (I could of course wait a few years and bur FS 2004, but then a newer version will already be available, and I want NOW a FS game. But thanks for pointing out to me that you can get it cheaper.

I'm afraid Amazon isn't a solution, because I would need a credit card number, which I don't have. I would have to ask my mother.....

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #5
If you don't care if you're flying inside or outside an atmosphere, Orbiter is a free space flight simulator.

http://www.orbitersim.com/

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
FS2002 is ages beyond 98. But then again, 04 is ages beyond 02. You aren't going to get the best unless you get the latest.

Other cheap alternative: IL-2 Sturmovik (if you like combat)...

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
I never aimed at the best, and don't really need the best. I could easily settle with FS 2002, as long as it fulfills the points I menioned.

About orbiter: I don't really like flying in space. I'd rather fly with a big boeing 747, from Schiphol to JFK, loaded with passengers. You get a feeling of power when flying with such a big airplane. that's what attracts me in Flight Simulator. If I'd liked combat and small aircrafts, I already have a really great simulator: Falcon 4.

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
Well, if you only want '02 and '04 is that expensive where you live, just do what you want. Like Demonslayer said, it will be quite an improvement over '98.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
soemtime earlier, I looked at screenshots of FS 2002, and I saw, that actually on the graphics part of the game, it looks very similair to FS 2004, so, why should I buy FS 2004, what's so great about it?

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
I just wanted to ask this, before I buy something that's not what I wanted: What exactle is the difference between FS 2002 standard and the proffesional edition. I ggogled for the answer, but I eventually didn't have the patience to continue searching.

EDIT:

Just one more question: is the crash realistic? In FS 98, only the small airplanes crashed in a nice way. the big airplanes didn't. Is this improved?

[ Monday, July 25, 2005 15:18: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #11
IMAGE(http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/IB_graphics/edit.gif)

[/spam]

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #12
Are flight sims for learning how to fly a plane or for the fun of pretending to fly one?

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:

Are flight sims for learning how to fly a plane or for the fun of pretending to fly one?
If the game is detailed enough, both. I use it for fun.

I finally made up my mind. I went to the shop and bought FS 2004. Generally because I thought, that I should get the most recent version and settle with that for the coming years. add-ons and updates I can buy in a few years, when they are less exspensive.

I think this topic can now be closed.

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:

Flight sims are for people who don't have the money to fly, are not pilots, never have a chance at flying cool aircraft, and/or are physically incapable of getting off their computer.

They can be useful for learning how to fly, though to really be effective they need to be coupled with proper input equipment. In real planes, no one controls them with a keyboard. :P

Basically, they're just for fun though. You know, being able to take a 737 loaded with people and crash it in downtown Chicago while executing as many barrel rolls as possible on the way down.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by ben XIII:

Basically, they're just for fun though. You know, being able to take a 737 loaded with people and crash it in downtown Chicago while executing as many barrel rolls as possible on the way down.
That's exactly what I mean! That can be REAL fun. Now that the crashes in FS 2004 are VERY VERY VERY much improved (with fire and smoke), it will be fun. Although I didn't try it as yet. Many other things have improved dramatically. I like FS 2004 already, and I didn't flew even a minute. Add-ons and updates will certainly improve it even more, but I'd rather wait and buy it a bit cheaper.

I'm reall confusing sometimes, am I. this hole decision: FS 2002 or FS 2004. I was convinced I'll buy FS 2002. But then I didn't. Now I'm going to leave you guys and crash my 737 into downtown Chicago. tomorrow I'll tell you the number of casualties (or you'll see it on the news).

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #16
Almost forgot to tell you how the crash ended! There were about 400 people dead. 130 in the aircraft, the rest were just nearby when I crashed. (I still survived it though... :) ).

--------------------