A long-expected Parting

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A long-expected Parting
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #50
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

As much as I appreciate these statistics, it seems likely that excessive spam is becoming an unpleasant side effect...
Every month right after the statistics are posted there are a couple days of heavy posting; most people don't keep up that post rate, and those of us who do would post that much anyways.

[ Tuesday, July 19, 2005 19:17: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #51
It would be interesting to study how much effect you can wring out of posting statistics. If they were tabulated and posted twice a month, would there be two spam sprees per month? What about weekly? If there were daily post counts posted, would there be a constant barrage of spam or would everyone give up and ignore the information?

—Alorael, who can see this either as a test of will and stamina or a test of how often information can be viewed before people start tuning it out. And either way, it's not something that shoule be tested on Spiderweb. Spam is bad.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Fissure of Men:

It would be interesting to study how much effect you can wring out of posting statistics. If they were tabulated and posted twice a month, would there be two spam sprees per month? What about weekly? If there were daily post counts posted, would there be a constant barrage of spam or would everyone give up and ignore the information?

—Alorael, who can see this either as a test of will and stamina or a test of how often information can be viewed before people start tuning it out. And either way, it's not something that shoule be tested on Spiderweb. Spam is bad.

The problem is that this spike in posting can't be measured! Since it occurs neatly within the given time period, the only way to find it would be to increase the measurement frequency - increasing the frequency of the spikes as well! :eek:

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #53
Ah, but one does not need to publicise the results. :)

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #54
You would need to post the statistics for the community to see if you wanted to measure their post rate changing due to seeing the statistics more or less often.

Though you wouldn't need to post the results of the fluctuation in post rate, people would likely start paying attention to the changes, which would alter how they post.

[ Tuesday, July 19, 2005 21:41: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #55
In addition to the obvious posting sprees, posting statistics (and postcount-based titles) increase amount of spam by focusing more attention on postcounts. Even after the initial spike of activity is over, people still post more to improve their position on the next month's list. Whenever there is a top-somthing list, people will naturally try to improve their position on it.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Fissure of Men:

A weekly post count would be very, very scary. Imagine some random newbie simply spamming so he can get to the top of the post o****? Scary. And daily post counts are just unimaginable. Although eventually no-one would give a dam (as you said), it still is not a good thing. After all, we would also just ignore the monthly ones.

What I want to see is an annual post count stat, which shows all top 10 sp- posters, for the year. Keeping the monthly counts, of course. It would be good because you could see how much you have improved from hte previous year.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #57
*briefly reappears out of thin air*

Actually, since a full postcount run places a transfer load of approximately 40 MB on the server (both ironycentral and mine), monthly is about the most frequent it can get before the transfer load just gets too much. When I first tried it out, I was afraid the server might block my IP because it thought it was being DoS-flooded.

Anyway, not much time to post this (from work), so see you all.

*revanishes*

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #58
Jeez, 35th?
I didn't even think I posted very much as I barely have a half hour online every day and maybe 10 minutes of that is used to briefly view spiderweb boards. And 77 posts in a month is alot considering how many posts I actually have. I suppose in a while I might actually get a decent post count.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #59
I'm hoping the fluffy turtles kill all prominent members of the community, leaving me to reach the top spot unchallenged...

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #60
It's too late, our sanity is long gone, so we are of no use to the fluffy turtles anymore...

[ Wednesday, July 20, 2005 06:54: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #61
Bye, Aran. T_T

My post rate would have been quite a bit higher had I had access to a computer all the time. But 298 is pretty good, if I do say so myself. I'm actually on pace to rack up my second thousand in less than 4 months, which is very quick compared to my first thousand.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #62
I could hardly ask for a better illustration of my point...

People, before hitting Add Reply, could we all read what we've written and ask ourselves whether it really needs to be said, or is just there to increase our post count? The best way to cut down on spam is for the unintentional spammers to notice what they're doing. Remember, too, that increasing the quality of your posts is just as effective at cutting down on spam as decreasing the quantity.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.

Pages