Election Primary Results/Vote Reassignment

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Election Primary Results/Vote Reassignment
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #50
It's an amalgam of "feminine" and "emnity".

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #51
That's why I like it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #52
I am kind of disappointed that people I would prefer to win didn't even get into the runoffs. Oh well...

Now to have some fun...

If I reassign all my votes to Alec, he will be just a couple votes away from getting into top 3. This will also mean that any minor candidate will be able to decide who gets into runoffs. Should I do this? :)

PS Drakey, are all vote reassignments permanent, or can candidates change their mind later?

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #53
Oblivion awaits.

[ Sunday, July 10, 2005 19:13: Message edited by: Marx' Martyr ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #54
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

PS Drakey, are all vote reassignments permanent, or can candidates change their mind later?
I asked this question earlier, and haven't gotten an answer. I'd also like to know, as I would like to keep Thuryl in the top three.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #55
It looks like to me that since 4 candidtates are fairly close together in votes and everyone else is essentially out of the running, we should extend the final election quota to 4 and then everyone should really have someone they'd like to vote for, including TM. ^___^

Oh, and TM, even though you're not too fond of me, I'd still like to give you a welcome back, though I have no votes to transfer.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Mister Maoben:

It looks like to me that since 4 candidtates are fairly close together in votes and everyone else is essentially out of the running, we should extend the final election quota to 4
Um, no. I dropped out because I assumed that only three would get in and judged my chances to be nil. Changing the rules midstream is bad.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #57
Kelandon, you win the battle of wits. With your fiendish reassignment, not only have you made the change you aimed for (replacing Alec with Stughalf in the finals), but you have prevented any individual finalist from reassigning his own votes to reverse that decision without sacrificing his own candidacy. Only a concerted effort could reverse the action, and at this point, who would trust each other sufficiently to do that?

Not that I especially mind Stughalf getting in, but I'm disappointed at the way you've effectively kicked Alec out of the race, a very promising candidate.

Ah well. It is an impassé, my friends...

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #58
I would be wholy for extending the final voting to four candidates if Drakey would be so kind as to allow it.

*gives TM welcome back hug*

[ Sunday, July 10, 2005 18:05: Message edited by: Jewels of the Forest ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #59
Oblivion awaits.

[ Sunday, July 10, 2005 19:12: Message edited by: Marx' Martyr ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #60
Indeed it does, but when has that ever been different?

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #61
If there's a call for a recount, I, as one of the resident Floridian voters, ought to head it. :P Oh, right, and I actually voted. Aran's fanatic campaigning bought me. It seems as though he might actually do something with the board. Maybe. Dolphin got the other good chunk of my votes, due to her prolific posting record and troll-knowledge. Thuryl got some too, because he's blunt, and TM as well, because there was a passing chance that I could contribute to a General revolution. Go team go? Indeed.

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #62
I think that a spread out time zone would be a good choice for the General mod team. We need an Aussie to enter the team so that when the Americans are in bed, Thuryl (as an Aussie) can possibly be online to lock any topics that are innappropriate or if they are too spammy, if a flame wars starts, etc. It would greatly help the Generalians (people who visit General) of the community and enrich their experience.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #63
Given that I've not witnessed a "flame war," and am dubious about the idea of electing someone because they would lock topics, it seems the only real problem is new accounts being opened for the sole purpose of harassing members. It has been stated elsewhere that moderators can't stop new threads from being opened, they can only lock and modify the content.

That said, it seems that being a moderator is not very attractive. They aren't leaders in the community that direct the flow of conversation, or work tirelessly to improve the environment. And I don't particularly see that it needs improving. Alorael and Drakey are here often enough, and saunders shows up occasionally, Khoth and *i as well.

I may be naive, but I fail to see how anything but maturity and restraint can be called assets in this competition. I have respect for thuryl, but fail to see how a rational person could expect that adding a +10GMT timezone person would radically change things. We have Khoth, who I think is in England, being awake 10-24GMT. Any American being around from 0-5 and 15-24GMT. That leaves the gaping hole of 5-10GMT, which is too early for most Americans and too late for Europeans.

I guess if the majority of questionable posting originated in SE Asia, the Philipines, and Australia, I could see the need for geographically specific moderators. But that is something we don't know as board members. I know of one instance where the questionable posting originated in France, but that was quickly countered. The recent rubber numbskull postings happened in the middle of the EST day, and it was only a miracle that the second instance wasn't attended to immediately.

The point, or summary if this post is as long and boring as I suspect, is that this isn't really all that big of a deal. Really. Nothing will change if the list of moderators does indeed change. Sorry to be a kill-joy.

Edit - If things do change as a result of a moderator switch, then I suspect it will not be for the better. This is already a nice place to hang out, without excessive force of personality, and I don't see it as able to improve.

*this message sponsored the american society of nihilistic political commentators*

[ Sunday, July 10, 2005 22:13: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #64
I agree. This whole election has been ridiculous. Most of the candidates are spouting off crap, and trying to impress the simple-minded with big words. My honest is opinion on this is... I don't give a damn. The only perks of being a mod are holding your rank over someone else's head. This election was not even needed. The moderating team does a more than sufficent job. Alec didn't start this election for the good of the forum, but for the good of himself. If he didn't think he'd win, we wouldn't even be here right now.

[ Sunday, July 10, 2005 21:51: Message edited by: Mysterious Man ]
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #65
In response to the post on the second page... (I hate it when a dozen people post and change the subject when I'm asleep)

I don't. I just said so because I do not wish to vote for him. He's a popular figure and I dislike anyting too popular. I am antifan. If I can't vote for Aran, I'll have to settle for Donald Duck.

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #66
quote:
Originally written by Blossom Plant [strangles:
]
In response to the post on the second page... (I hate it when a dozen people post and change the subject when I'm asleep)

Or when you don't realise there is another page, which I have done on mulitiple occasions.

Salmon - There are a lot of variables involved with that. For example, they will most likely never be on until a specific time, and they may not get on at the exact time. Also, the mods might not be aware of any of the troubles (though I doubt it) if any appear.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #67
Right now, the mods have basically the entire day covered, with a small gap when board activity is generally nil.

Only the top three will advance. In case of ties, I already have several tiebreakers in mind.

I would imagine that vote assignment is permanent.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #68
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Stughalf, check your private messages if you haven't done so already.
Done. Check for my response, please.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #69
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I would imagine that vote assignment is permanent.
Really? But I would have done things differently if this was mentioned in the first post, or had I of gotten an answer the day I asked. Is that a definite "no"?

[ Monday, July 11, 2005 07:19: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #70
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin.:

[QUOTE]had I of gotten
This is an abomination.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #71
That it is. I was writing very fast because my dog was crying to go out, such things happen.

--------------------
Nena
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #72
If vote reassignments aren't permanent, this will turn into a guessing game, decided by who can outmaneuver whom with the last vote switch 2 seconds before the deadline. It could be quite fun. :)

While I am not sure whether people would want results of primaries decided by who can place final vote change a few seconds before deadline, I think such version will make this "elections" game more fun.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #73
What about being able to change one's vote only once :P

--------------------
Nena