Avernum 4: The Stone of Night

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4: The Stone of Night
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Averman:

i've yet to play an 'Avernum' that i didnt like.
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Then I suggest you give Avernum 3 a try... :P
Yea, I second that, It's the only Avernum that I didn't even bother finishing the demo of.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #26
I didn't find Avernum 3 that bad. It was my least favorite of the trilogy, but it had its moments. Skribbane is a fond memory, and the filth factory was mildly disturbing.

I liked venturing out of the underworld and wandering the surface. The various plagues were interesting the first time around, but it was the only one in the trilogy I haven't played a second time.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3340
Profile #27
For what's worth: does this mean that after A4 is released, Jeff will give BOA a much needed face lift! :D

Or will we still be stuck with what we have. :mad:

James

--------------------
Sometimes I just don't know anything about everything -- or do I ?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by The Real Dragon King:

For what's worth: does this mean that after A4 is released, Jeff will give BOA a much needed face lift! :D

Or will we still be stuck with what we have. :mad:

James

I doubt that he'd give it a "much needed face lift". If he does anything, it will be purely a small and insignificant change, though even thats unlikely. He can't make any major changes, else the old scenarios (ones made with older versions), may not be quite compatible withthe latest version out.

And i for one, as a amateur scenario designer, would prefer it if other people could actually play my scenarios, rather than have a cosmetic face lift done for the game.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #29
I like BoA the way it is, and if he were to do a "face lift" it would likely make it look more like Geneforge. I don't see it being profitable for Jeff to polish BoA when he could write a new game, likely GF4.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #30
Personally, I think Exile III was much better than Avernum 3, but both of those two games get an undeserved bad rap. They're very good, and anyone who prefers Avernum 1 over them is having a laugh.

The Real Dragon King, is the 3D Editor somewhat of what you had in mind?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #31
:( I hope A4's "all new, shiny engine" will not be like GF. I hate walking around by defining an aiming point.

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #32
Avernum 3 wouldn't have been too bad except for the abysmally easy combat system. When I got far enough to realise how little difficulty it was going to cause me, I couldn't be bothered to go back and play on Torment. Then I carried on through the Alien Beasts before getting bored just before Rentar's lair and giving up.

So some of my distaste for it stems from my own mistake with the difficulty setting, but I don't think it holds a candle to Avernum 1.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Apprentice
Member # 313
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin.:

and the filth factory was mildly disturbing.

i hated that whole mission :mad: i hate roaches in real life and i hated fighting them in both Exile & Avernum 3 :mad: :mad:

--------------------
finally, a superhero we can trust...
Apprentice
Member # 313
Profile Homepage #34
i hate having just 4 characters tho..in exile (its been a while) couldnt u have 6 characters in your group!?

...maybe in Avernum 4 we will be able to add a 5th group member :eek:

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
A1 has an interesting setting and virtually no plot beyond completing minor quests so that you can complete major quests. A3 has a boring setting with too many 100% generic towns and a strikingly similar plot construction. The combat system in A3 is a step down.

—Alorael, who will take the slight lack of polish in A1 any day. At least you don't worry about the health hazards of repeated 199s.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #36
A3 is the only one of the three that I've played through. It appears I've been missing out on the good stuff. I found A3 generally entertaining, but more than a little overblown and tedious.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #37
quote:

Or maybe we will have only 2 party members. First 6, then 4, then 2, next perhaps 0 :P
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #38
Actually, 1 member would be fun.

Jeff could keep BoA and then implement the new engine in to a BoA editor version 2. But then the original BoA would be a waste of money (or more so, anyway). Hmmm, whatever.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 3340
Profile #39
Drakefyre, no not the 3d editor.

What I meant by 'face lift' was the current problems with the 'normal' editor -- fixes to the functions that don't work correctly. I know Kel and others had posted various bugs and other problems with the editor.

Again, this was what I meant. Sorry for the confusion ;)

James

--------------------
Sometimes I just don't know anything about everything -- or do I ?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #40
These aren't problems with the editor -- they're problems with the BoA application itself. It's just semantics, I know, but it'll help you be understood better.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 313
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by Milu:

quote:

Or maybe we will have only 2 party members. First 6, then 4, then 2, next perhaps 0 :P

are you mocking me!? i was serious about having a 5th member. 4 members are cool but sometimes it just feels limiting because you really can't use all of the features the game has to offer as far as charater creation/development.

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #42
I favor Exile 3 over all other Exiles/Avernums with BoE a close second.

With the disappointment that was GF3, I fear for A4.

Edit: Testing! Does editing a post move the whole thread up?

[ Friday, July 22, 2005 09:45: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Apprentice
Member # 374
Profile #43
I liked Exile 3 best as well. The story was moving and a fitting conclusion to the epic. I cant wait for Avernum 4, the postquel though, it would be impossible to disappoint me...

hmm.. a new engine, I wonder if it will be in 3D or in 2D but using a 3D API. I doubt pixel or vertex shaders since Jeff has always had lesser end PCs in mind when designing. Although personally, in terms of graphics, I prefer Exile to Avernum as the graphics were alot more detailed in the former.

[ Saturday, July 16, 2005 07:17: Message edited by: Red_Sage ]
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #44
Exile or Avernum, I usually use exactly ONE character. I find it more fun that way.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Apprentice
Member # 3660
Profile #45
quote:
I cant wait for Avernum 4, the postquel though, it would be impossible to disappoint
Sequel?

Apparently im also missing out. Ive only played the first Exile and the last Avernum. Which are the best of each and which is the best overall?

--------------------
Malfunction: Error message: youre a dink
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #46
For plot, the second of each trilogy is probably the best; for gameplay, probably the third (although Avernum 3's gameplay is a little weird compared to the other two Avernums, and some people don't like it).

Which of the six games is best overall is just a matter of which trilogy's engine you prefer.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages