i believe the small guy is coming back strong

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: i believe the small guy is coming back strong
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #0
Hi

I am really tired of all these new games by the big developers requiring more and more pc power without delivering on game play.....who wants to buy a 600$ video card just to play a game...

i really havent seen a hugely hyped game where even the demo kept me interested.......I think it's going to be good times for independent developers real soon......i don't mind decent graphics but as soon as i hear cutting edge i know they mean big dough........they call them games because it's supposed to be about game play. :eek:

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 09:38: Message edited by: Fenwik ]
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by Fenwik:

Hi

I am really tired of all these new games by the big developers requiring more and more pc power without delivering on game play.....who wants to buy a 600$ video card just to play a game...

i really havent seen a hugely hyped game where even the demo kept me interested.......I think it's going to be good times for independent developers real soon......i don't mind decent graphics but as soon as i hear cutting edge i know they mean big dough........they call them games because it's supposed to be about game play. :eek:

But if you have the PC power, and a good game plot, the games are MUCH better.

But for most, there are small games to suit them.

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #2
Yeah, I know what you mean. And as soon as you finally do buy that $600 dollar video card, a better video card will come out which is required to play the next big game.

So that's why we're here at Spiderweb, where some of the games can be easily played on a computer that's 10 years old. And games that are very fun to play. But really, some of us are still here just because of the message boards, but, uh, that's beside the point.

After all, you're right. Graphics don't ever make a great game unless you have good gameplay coupled with it. Unless it's a slide show program or something.

Oh, and hi, I'm ben.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
...y'know, those $600 video cards aren't actually required for any game currently on the market. A $150 video card, while expensive, will let you play everything just fine.

And, well, sometimes graphics do make the game. They can add depth and immersion, as well as being gameplay elements themselves.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Fenwik:

I think it's going to be good times for independent developers real soon.....

I wish this would happen but I doubt it does - as long as Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony divide up the whole game market.

:) And welcome to Spiderweb, Fenwik, to the merry place of independent developing of insanity.

edit: Graphics oriented games are mostly boring. e.g. "Myth" or "Riven": beautiful but without any kick. Graphics eat storage; polished surfaces don't let much room for your own fantasies.
Fenwik is quite right: up with independent developers!

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 13:46: Message edited by: spy.there ]

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #5
yeah

thanks for the welcome....my next two spiderweb purchases will be geneforge 3 and avernum 3....i have all the rest of the avernum and Geneforge games...also have a game called the Omega syndrome i'm playing now.

Fen
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #6
Welcome, Fenwick. Leave your sanity at the door.

SpidWeb is an independent producer, and while they are not as recognized as ones like Sony, EA, Microsoft and the like, they are still good.

While graphics and special effects are good, it can be overdone.

I've noticed that the more popular game distributors have dropped off in their quality lately. Maybe Fenwick is right, maybe it is time for the independent producers to take hold.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #7
I bought my Radeon 9800SE last year for $200 at a $100 discount and, with updated drivers, it's still powerful enough to play this year's big games.

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 15:36: Message edited by: You should vote Wise Man ]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
I still have integrated graphics. Urff. Does anyone know how to change the video memory allocation on Windows XP?

Anyway, the ATI Radeon X800 series sure looks pretty good.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
The X800 is nothing compared to Nvidia's 7800 Ultra series coming soon. You thought the 6800 was nice... (and big, and expensive...)

Anyway, don't be dissin' graphics. They have their place, just as 2d icons do.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #10
I use a Radeon X800 PCIE.

Regardless of the fsct that I have that somewhat powerful card, I prefer games which require nowhere near that amount of power:

http://www.bigbluecup.com/ is an example.

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #11
The spiderweb games are very intellectual unlike most games today. The audience who play the spiderweb games are intellectual as well. What makes the games of spiderweb software so special and its audience... well, I already said it, intellectuality.

What I am trying to say (and failed big time with above. ^^; ) is that a good plot and a brain-stimulating game play flocks an audience which cares less about fancy graphics and brainless action as is the case for many FPS. Of course many FPS requires brains as well (thinking of CS and Battlefield.) but the need of it is less obvious as a smart lad many times losses to a brain-less chaser with quick reflexes and good mouse control. Blades of Exile requires you to take notice of small details and think through them. Perhaps this behaviour and stimulation has colored itself in the audience? (Winks to Dolphin, Drakey, Alorael, Dolphin, Dolphin and all the other people here who finds all these mind-boggling patterns and details. ^^ )

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #12
quote:
(Winks to Dolphin, Drakey, Alorael, Dolphin, Dolphin and all the other people here who finds all these mind-boggling patterns and details. ^^ )
Apparently there are three of me; maybe that's why I can't get my PDN back.

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 14:06: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #13
Hey, it can't be all bad — you will have a huge 15 star rating. Hello, Dolphins!

*****I think he merely was implying that you are a very observant person.

EDIT: Maybe...

[ Sunday, June 26, 2005 14:08: Message edited by: Kasreyn of The Gyre ]

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
Yeah, it does seem like pretty much everyone here is kind of intelligent ie. is not a slacker in school or anything. But maybe it's just an illusion; I don't know.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
edit: Graphics oriented games are mostly boring. e.g. "Myth" or "Riven": beautiful but without any kick. Graphics eat storage; polished surfaces don't let much room for your own fantasies.
Fenwik is quite right: up with independent developers!
Riven? Uh... Boring? Beg to differ...

Also, was that first one supposed to be "Myst"?

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by ben III:

Yeah, it does seem like pretty much everyone here is kind of intelligent ie. is not a slacker in school or anything. But maybe it's just an illusion; I don't know.
It seems that you haven't had the opportunity to peruse my grade reports over the past three years.

From personal experience, intelligence and success in school/career are not perfectly correlated.

Also, not all intelligent individuals are also intellectuals. I don't consider myself an intellectual, as I don't possess the lust for learning and knowledge required for that distinction. I vastly prefer activities that require little or no thinking at all.

[ Monday, June 27, 2005 18:50: Message edited by: Stugri-La ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by You should vote Wise Man:

I bought my Radeon 9800SE last year for $200 at a $100 discount and, with updated drivers, it's still powerful enough to play this year's big games.
Heh, I have a GForce 5200 128mb graphics card and it still runs all the games fine. Allthough with the newer games they eat a lot of space so I'm forced to update from my 60 gig. Considering getting a 200 gig hard drive so I will have 260 gigs of space. A friend of mine has 500gigs but I think that would be a little to extreme.

Originally written by ben III:

Its an illusion. Well, in my case anyway. Although I am in the smart classes at my school, that doesn't mean anything as my school has one of the worst reputations for being a drugged up, drunk, slacker filled and general half-assed school.