It is that time of the month again

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: It is that time of the month again
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #0
Discuss

Let's all have a nice discussion on this, it's social impacts and really, what exactly does it stand for.

For reference, though, despite the starting motivation of it, this is a serious topic. ;)

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
Doesn't bother me; have any questions?

Ok, it's something men should know about anyway.

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 13:55: Message edited by: Aurelia ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #2
Ooh, fun!!!1!!!11!1 :D :D :D

Oh, wait; this really has nothing to do with me.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #3
Actually, this topic has quite a bit of potential for interesting discussion. I'll do my measly part by mentioning a theory I've heard of that attempts to connect a culture's treatment of blood in general to its views on menstruation, and these views to its treatment of women in general.

I don't remember much of the details of the theory, but I do remember one of the examples used. In the Aztec culture, in which human sacrifices to the gods were widespread and an accepted facet of society, blood was revered as a sort of divine liquid. As a result, menstruating women were almost always honored and treated with respect.

In contrast, the attitude towards blood in contemporary England was one of disgust, as blood was viewed as filthy and a source of illness. Menstruating women, far from being honored or respected, were made to feel ashamed of their emissions and themselves in general, and were accorded a marginal place in society.

Not sure whether I buy the theory, but this example seemed quite plausible.

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 13:42: Message edited by: Stugri-La ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #4
A most laudable topic, to which I have nothing of value to add.

But, I read a book that touches on quite a few impacts to human evolution that have come about because of cyclical ovulation. I highly recommend Leonard Schlain's "Sex, Time and Power : How Women's Sexuality Shaped Human Evolution."

It is well written and thought provoking, and a good "hammock book" for this summer.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #5
I am once again amazed by board members. I think this is a topic best left to health class or a family discussion for some of the younger members to learn about. However, if you feel like teaching us, start educating. In fact, I challenge you to teach me something I don't know about the subject(having two older sisters can lead to knowing more than I'd like).

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 18:19: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #6
I made the mistake of eating while viewing this topic.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
All I really have to add to this discussion is that to me, not bleeding from my genitals for one week out of every month seems like one of the chief advantages of being male.

Oh, alright then. May as well start a proper debate. What does everyone think of the views of certain feminist psychologists and biologists, such as Cathy McFarland, who believe PMS doesn't exist?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #8
They're really men.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #9
Chocolate, I'm told, helps matters somewhat.

No, they just eat it. Nothing bizarre.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #10
I think PMS exists. The emotions of PMS are completely irrational, and come and go right on schedule.

It can be frustration due things that normally aren't even slightly annoying, or deep sadness over seemingly nothing. Maybe the women who say it doesn't exist are among those who don't experience PMS; I've heard that not all women do.

--------------------
Nena
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
Might as well make my 100th in this category...

Following up on Dolphin's comment on PMS not being universal, I need to say that some birth control products dramatically decrease the PMS effects. My gf used the injection thing for a while, and while there was no mood swing for PMS, we both noticed that there was no mood swing period. (no pun) So we discarded that method and now we get to enjoy fights over such moving topics as "nothing," "sock folding," and my personal favorite "the proper way to cook bacon."

Ahh good times....
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #12
I'm not very educated when it comes to this area of the body, so bear with me.

I have recently (as recent as today) been on the recieving end of an angry outburst due to PMS. My sport teacher, when talked over, made the offender run 5 laps around our school oval. I could not understand why she was like this until I thought back to around last month, when it looked like she was depressed.

I'm glad I'm male.

(I know, it didn't really add much to the discussion)

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #13
Ah, a perfect chance for me. I know there are some people here who study medicine and biology and all that, so from them I'd like to ask about disorders related to PMS, more or less.

Nothing specific (yet), but if you could mention some common disorders..? I have a few in my mind which I've been wondering about, but I don't know any names or more. Mostly for curiosity's sake.

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #14
Manic depression?
Raving loony?

btw, sorry about the pizza.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Smoked Salmon:

Might as well make my 100th in this category...

Following up on Dolphin's comment on PMS not being universal, I need to say that some birth control products dramatically decrease the PMS effects. My gf used the injection thing for a while, and while there was no mood swing for PMS, we both noticed that there was no mood swing period. (no pun) So we discarded that method and now we get to enjoy fights over such moving topics as "nothing," "sock folding," and my personal favorite "the proper way to cook bacon."

Ahh good times....

Reminds me of mother... always complaining over totally unimportant details and then accuses everyone else for it. "Fredrik! What have you done with the icons of the trash can?!" "Err... mom, it's just a graphical upgrade..."

Ok, back on topic. I belive that PMS exist. It can be compared with the periods of the puberty when teenagers goes rebelious and gets unpredictable bad mood swings. It's all hormones.

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #16
Khoth, the pizza is meaningless. That bit is forgiven. You're still [enthusiastic cursing].

Anyway, back to the topic.

[ Friday, June 17, 2005 01:58: Message edited by: Open Headed ]

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
Most of the arguments I get into with women are started by me. This is not so much to do with hormones as it is to do with the fact that I am of a fundamentally cantankerous nature.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #18
I must agree with some of the above, I am intensely glad to be male. And with 3 sisters I know more about this topic than I would like to.

In addition to PMS, I believe there is also the phenomenon known as "cramps" associated with this time.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #19
Cramps are based on uterine contractions, and are only painful for some women. Adding to our mood is the physical discomfort of bloating, headaches, food cravings, breasts swelling, and of course cramps.

In my experience good nutrition makes a big difference as far as the physical symptoms. Most girls I know crave sugar just before the time of PMS, but if they eat too much they get cramps.

Bleeding doesn't bother me, as it means I'll be able to carry life. It only bothers me when men are afraid of it, and yes some have actually been frightened of it.

--------------------
Nena
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
Severe cramping pains during menstruation can actually be a sign of endometriosis, so it's worth seeking medical advice about them.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by SprungSpring:

I'm not very educated when it comes to this area of the body, so bear with me.

I have recently (as recent as today) been on the recieving end of an angry outburst due to PMS. My sport teacher, when talked over, made the offender run 5 laps around our school oval. I could not understand why she was like this until I thought back to around last month, when it looked like she was depressed.

I'm glad I'm male.

(I know, it didn't really add much to the discussion)

This being a quarter mile oval? Hope you had fun. :P Lucky for me, my PE teacher and myself are males.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #22
Do not look down at female teachers... But I must say that most female teachers we had some nervous breakdown or similiar earning them no respect resulting in classes with very loud volume due to everyone conversating while working (If they worked at all).

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #23
I'm not looking down on female teachers. I've sure had some good ones. But some were not so good, too.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #24
:confused:

:confused:

teachers are great. people suck. so how can teachers be people?

*this message is brought to you by a confused anadromous fish*

Pages