Have You Ever Used Alorael's Signature

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Have You Ever Used Alorael's Signature
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #75
quote:
Originally written by Universal Specific:

Is there any visible difference between minus (-) and option-minus (–)? Shift-option-minus (—) is obviously longer, but I really can't see any difference between the other two.

—Alorael, who is, alas, not the premier expert on horizontal lines. He specializes in emdashes only.

There is a visible difference. It may be hard to notice, but quite obvious if you concentrate.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #76
It was immediately evident to me that the option-minus is longer than the simple minus. Eyes a bit strained from squinting through that scope, Alo?

[ Monday, June 13, 2005 18:55: Message edited by: This Glass Is Half Stugie ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #77
No, I actually can see it now that I've read my own post, but while writing the post tex in the box thoughtfully provided when you click "New Post" I couldn't tell (and still can't). Maybe some fonts don't show it?

—Alorael, who keenly feels the absence of the old Key Caps. While it ostensibly came with some versions of OS X, he doesn't have it. What he does have is a (very!) old version of Key Caps that claims that the option-minus dash is shorter than the regular minus dash. Go figure.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #78
The text in the field you use to enter a post generally shows up in a fixed-width font, which obviously means none of the dashes can be much longer than any other. In a variable-width font (such as the fonts most people will be reading the message in once it's actually posted), it's easy to see the difference between the hyphen, endash and emdash if you line them up vertically:

-

In the fixed-width font I'm reading this in right now (some form of Courier, I think), the endash (option-dash) actually does look slightly *shorter* than the hyphen, whilst the emdash (option-shift-dash) looks slightly longer. Once posted, the endash is longer and the emdash is longest.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #79
Oh the excitement!

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #80
quote:
Originally written by EviL_TiM:

quote:
Originally written by Another Season:

Now you know.l
thievery=bad. Remember, plaigerism is illegal!

Alorael hasn't officially patented his signature, and therefor, abusing it is not illegal.
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #81
There exists abuse which does not involve copyright.

I'm sure Alorael would be glad to show you, if you want to invite a demonstration.

^________________________^

--------------------
I am a pale shadow of the previous self.
quote:

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #82
quote:
Originally written by saunders:

There exists abuse which does not involve copyright.

I'm sure Alorael would be glad to show you, if you want to invite a demonstration.

^________________________^

"Violators will be Violated", eh? :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #83
Perhaps, Aran. Perhaps.

—Alorael, who does not particularly care if his signature is plagiarized or not. He doesn't copyright his posts. The patent, on the other hand, will be enforced to the maximum extent not permisable by law. Remember, possession is nine tenths of the law, and he is the one who posseses abusable power, a sniper rifle, and no compunctions about utilizing either.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #84

Wow, being on Windows, I had to look in the character map to find that one. Apparantly you can make an emdash by goint Alt+0151.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages