Wha?!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Wha?!
Warrior
Member # 4267
Profile Homepage #0
The artist has returned, I'm sort of announcing a project of mine that some of you might be interesting, I'm finally going to flesh out one of my story worlds in a larger, more grandious sense. I'm going to attempt to write up the basic source material for a pen and paper RPG :D

If you need some reference to my writing and artwork, look at http://ezrah.deviantart.com, and http://www.furnation.com/littleheaven [if its still up.. furnation appears to have died... again -.-].

The source documents I have completed partially and fully are here..

http://ezrah.port5.com/MoA/

Tell me what you think.

--------------------
If everyone would just forgive someone else, so much pain would be taken off of all of our shoulders... but as tenderness is a virtue it is also a failing, any who would do such a thing usually fall to those who wouldn't. - Ezrah
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
I think that no one actually uses WordPerfect, so you should put your documents in a format more of us are capable of actually reading. >_>
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Stories published online are basically acceptable in two different formats. txt, and html.

Word documents (or any other more obscure/complex file type) is not only unreadable to many, but may also be unsafe. Besides, the formatting can make them insanely large.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #3
I use Word Perfect, but I'd actually rather have MS Word because then I'd be actually compatable with the computers at school so then I can print my reports using their ink. :P

But yeah, if you want your story to be formatted beyond what you could get from a .txt file, .wpd would seem pretty safe too, wouldn't it? After all, most all computers not have WordPad.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #4
.wpd files are not opened by WordPad.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #5
A fun fact: Word perfect can save files in various formats, including MS word document. It can't read MS word documents though (at least my version doesn't), but then there are formats wich both can read and write, such RTF.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #6
If for some reason plain text isn't adequate, you can use rtf. Just about everyone can read that. And if you need something more complicated, try PDFs.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #7
Don't you need Acrobat to create PDFs? That would cost a pretty penny to those (three) of us who don't have a pirated version.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
No, if I remember correctly there are freeware programs that can make PDFs as well. They don't offer the same functionality or editing tools, though.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #9
My IMac came with Acrobat Reader and Preview for reading PDFs. There are freeware versions of these programs, which mine likely are.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
Yes - Acrobat Reader and Preview are free; but Acrobat itself is not, and is necessary (or, as pointed out above, some other utility) to create PDFs.

EDIT: I don't really mean to be picky, Dolphin. It may just be from jealousy stemming from you surpassing my post count so quickly! :)

[ Wednesday, May 18, 2005 08:53: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #11
I have no desire to make PDFs. Reading them can be important, and that software is free.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Some free image editing programs can create and edit PDFs for you, but the file sizes tend to be obscene, even compared to regular Acrobat-created PDFs.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #13
What are the advantages of PDFs anyway? They are more difficult to make/change, what else?
Disadvantages: expensive/difficult to change, huge filesize.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #14
Well, they look better I suppose. But thats always a bad excuse.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #15
What do you mean "look better"? It's not like an image in Acrobat looks better than in Staroffice. And the text is just text, isn't it?

Another advantage: bookmarks. But this isn't so great

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #16
PDFs can handle pictures and non-standard fonts and everything pretty well. They seem to work well for a lot of the physics/math/astronomy papers/lectures I look at. Looking at that kind of stuff in other formats (at least the ones not made for scientific stuff) can be problematic. Though I don't know what kind of advantage that is to normal writing!

[ Wednesday, May 18, 2005 23:16: Message edited by: cfgauss ]

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
The advantage of a PDF is that it will look exactly the same on any computer, and print exactly the way it looks. Word processors can subtly mess up documents, especially when printed, depending on page size, margin settings and the like. PDF is therefore a good format for documents designed to be printed.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #18
So it contains all the material, including the font used etc. Oh, ok, that's why it's bigger then.

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #19
Yeah, PDF's are good for printing, say, a book, but for conventional uses, it's not worth learning to create PDFs and then buying software if you can just use a word processor.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #20
PDFs are very useful for business purposes because they can essentially be made unalterable. This is especially important for law documents.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #21
Yes, I agree. PDFs are very useful when the situation requires a good preformatted document. I just said it's not ideal for conventional uses.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #22
You don't have to actually buy software to make PDFs. The program I use to write math and physics papers (ok, homework, when I feel like using it) is called LaTeX, which is free, and it can compile (yes... compile) documents you type into PDF format. Though there's probably something better that can do it for free for non-technical writing!

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by N00BEN:

Yes, I agree. PDFs are very useful when the situation requires a good preformatted document. I just said it's not ideal for conventional uses.
Conventional use requires a good pre-formatted document more often than one might think. And it never hurts, at least compared to .doc or the mac equivalent, which can be read only with the same program, or .txt, which has no formatting.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #24
Any mac running OS X can make PDF files from any program; you can simply choose to print to a file. This means that if you know exactly how something will look printed, you can have it appear that way on any other computer by sharing the PDF file. I use this a lot when I need to email someone a document and I'm not sure if they have the typefaces I'm using.

--------------------

Pages