the Empire's capital city

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: the Empire's capital city
Apprentice
Member # 5750
Profile #0
Does anyone know what's the name in Exilum or Avernile of the Empire's largest city, I mean, it's capital.
Most of all, has a scenario been written yet ?

Thanks.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
We know the capital continent is Pralgad, I believe, but not the name of the capital city (unless you take BoE scenarios as canonical also, which I think is stretching it a bit).

And yes, many, many scenarios have been made. Hundreds, in fact. But I'm pretty sure that wasn't what you meant to ask, even if it's what you did ask.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5750
Profile #2
lol

I know you're kind of good scenario designer. I've downloaded the scenario editor and it seems to be quite a harsh task to write one.
I live in the suburbs of Paris and as you may know there ancient stone mines under the city that have been transformed into catacombs under Louis the XVIth reign.
I'd really try to make a story with that. As the Empire threw down exile all the socialy unwanted citizens, that could be a place for a story about conspiracy.
But I'm sure it already exists.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #3
Sounds neat. The name of the capital is never given in the series, but generally it's taken to be Imperia, because we get the impression that the capital city was artificially created or reconstructed by an Emperor who didn't want to live in Aizo (the historic heartland) any more.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
The capital city is Solaria, which is FAR more widely used than Alec's name. (Which only he uses.)

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #5
By 'more widely used', he means that it fits into Stareye's canon, which he has a woody for.

Long story short, the city doesn't have a name, and you're free to give it whichever one you like. Vogelian canon information is pretty sparse on details like that.

[ Tuesday, May 03, 2005 09:31: Message edited by: Custer XVI ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #6
Solaria should be changed under direction of her most honorable virtuous blessed hand, Empress Prazac. I vote for Prazacopolis. City of the empress. Queen of Heaven. Her most munificient benefactress. Bearer of the Golden Orb of Thralni. Holder of the Mithril Throne. All kneel before her blood red mantle.

[ Wednesday, May 04, 2005 01:09: Message edited by: Toasted Basilisk on a Shish Kebab ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
It doesn't have a vogelcanon name, but it's far more commonly Solaria than imperia (which has yet to be used).

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
If stepping into an old argument doesn't suit you, make up a new name. Or make up another important city that isn't the capital.

—Alorael, who disagrees with some others in saying that there's no reason that scenarios have to be in any way consistent in their treatment of the Empire. Just because the capital has been portrayed one way doesn't mean you can't set a conspiracy in a completely different capital.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Papa Donatus II:

It doesn't have a vogelcanon name, but it's far more commonly Solaria than imperia (which has yet to be used).
Stareye used the name "Imperius" in Spy's Quest, but I believe the city he used it for was the former capital of the Empire at the time of the scenario.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #10
If I'm not mistaken, several of TM's scenarios call the Empire capital Solaria as well, though it's really only referred to in passing. Shadow of the Stranger has a portion set in the capital, but a name is not specified.

You could also have a 'largest city' that isn't the capital. I live in the capital city of Australia, but there's a good lot of cities that are larger.

[ Tuesday, May 03, 2005 14:14: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #11
Why not just play it simple and just call it "Capital City"? God.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Toasted Basilisk on a Shish Kebab:

Solaria should be changed under direction of her most honorable virtuous blessed hand, Empress Pralgrad. I vote for Pralgradopolis. City of the empress. Queen of Heaven. Her most munificient benefactress. Bearer of the Golden Orb of Thralni. Holder of the Mithril Throne. All kneel before her blood red mantle.
When was there ever an empress named Pralgrad?

---

In Soviet Russia, the Capital names YOU! :P

[ Thursday, May 05, 2005 22:25: Message edited by: A Knock Without The Door ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #13
Prazac.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Wise Man's current rank is:

Why not just play it simple and just call it "Capital City"? God.
You'd think, since the whole empire was called the "Empire." :/

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #15
no, the empire is not named the "Empire" but its "The Empire"

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
So the capital isn't "Capital," it's "the Capital."

—Alorael, who thinks the line has to be drawn somewhere. Prazac isn't just "the Empress," you know.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Papa Donatus II:

The capital city is Solaria, which is FAR more widely used than Alec's name. (Which only he uses.)
I get two questions out of this, since Solaria is our best candidate to this point:

1. TM, is there any reference to Solaria in the Exile series, excluding BoE?

2. Alec, where did you get involved with Custer?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #18
As has already been stated several times in this thread, there is no reference to the name of the Capital city in the Exiles.

[ Thursday, May 05, 2005 17:56: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #19
Perhaps there will ne in A4.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
The legendary rift in the canon. TM, Stareye and Alec.

Partly, that was what drove me to try and make an encyclopedia. Well, we know what happened to *that* project. :rolleyes: Perhaps setting it up as a Wiki might have been more successful, but I feared editing wars over issues like this.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #21
Someone e-mail Jeff and tell him you want the capital of the Empire named. I'm sure if he remembered it would be mentioned in passing somewhere in A4. Problem solved.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
Or mention it in passing whenever a discussion about A4 crops up in BoA or Avernum Trilogy forums. He visits those iirc.

Edit:

If TM were to name the capital, he'd probably end up with "Hauptstadt", given the way his naming systems normally work. :P

[ Friday, May 06, 2005 03:17: Message edited by: A Door Without A Knock ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #23
Put this way, then- it's Solaria in AtG, E:A, B2, and a bunch of other places in those two arcs. On the other hand, those two arcs are also REALLY late in the Empire's history- near the end. So it's more than likely that it changed names after or during times of political upheaval. Heck, it could change location, even. Rome wasn't always the capital of Rome, you know.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Kirk Johnson:

Rome wasn't always the capital of Rome, you know.
I'm not sure that I'm reading this right but shouldn't it say 'Rome wasn't always the captital of Italy (or Roman Empire, if that is what you meant)

--------------------
"He's mine, go get your own human plaything!" Bernard Black (Black Books)

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site

Pages