Gamestop buys EB Games

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Gamestop buys EB Games
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #0
What are your thoughts on the latest acquisition?
A bit unexpected, yes. But is this ultimately for the better? To me, Gamestop buying EB doesn't make too much of a difference. Prices are generally the same on games and consoles at both stores, but you do have to wonder about malls and shopping centers that have both stores.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #1
This is a noncompetitive monopoly acquisition. EB Games and Gamestop are the two largest small game outlets. Without competition, they will be able to fix prices and set costs for distributors. This is going to drive many of the commercial game software companies out of business. It should have been an illegal move. Nobody is paying attention to antitrust litigation right now. If I had heard about this this morning, I could have made a 10% profit by the end of the day.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Toasty Warm:

If I had heard about this this morning, I could have made a 10% profit by the end of the day.
Indeed.
EB Games' stock price shot up some 34% today!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #3
Don't forget though that they're competing against the large dealers (BestBuy, Walmart), which tend to carry the most popular games at better prices, as well as the internet, where everything is cheaper. It was probably a survival move on their part.
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #4
Well, let's hope they don't try to buy Spiderweb's games (though Jeff will surely not let them get away with it).

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #5
I'm sure he wouldn't.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #6
I don't think that Walmart is really that competitive with Gamestop. One of the reasons that Gamestop is so effective is that they are a spinoff of Barnes and Noble. This means they probably have much better secondary material than other stores-- manga comics, anime videos, games manuals, magazines, and nicknacks.

If we follow the history of what Barnes and Nobles did to bookstores-- I am not surprised at what happened to EBGames. Not to mention better inventory control software, merchandising, and more effective targeted advertising.

I am waiting for the lawsuits to start kicking in. Gamestop will start insisting on deep discounts from their suppliers and other stuff like Barnes and Noble did with the book market. This company is probably just as nasty as Barnes and Nobles is.

They also have a pretty strong web presence, and this will get stronger with the EB games acquisition.

Think lawsuits -- Microprose, Atari, and other producers will probably end up suing them to stop predatory practices.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #7
Hmm... unless I'm severely mistaken, the UK arm of EB was taken over by Game, a good while ago. There's not been a great deal of change, overall. Prices are still about the same. Range has increased, very slightly. No real difference, to be honest.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio