The International Contest of Spider Games shall now commence!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The International Contest of Spider Games shall now commence!
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #0
Alright, this topic is a Spider Web Game Contest! Each person who posts will name the game that they think is the highest quality overall. Note- This is not your favorite game, but the game you think has the highest quality and provides the best experience for the most people.

Best Game- Geneforge 2

Why: Geneforge 1 is my personal favorite, with Geneforge being my favorite series. However, G1 wasn't polished, it had only 3 spells for each class of spells, with the sects being there to be milked, without really affecting gameplay otherwise. G2 adds more features and streamlines them, and making powergaming the sects much more troublesome, with the sects offering you more and affecting gameplay more. As such, In my personal experience, I have found G2 to be the best.

--------------------
Most Important Questions:
Why does one sock go missing?
What is the purpose of meaning?
What is the purpose of girls?
What happened to the other one?
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #1
Considering I haven't played Geneforge 2/3, or Avernum 1, or the Exile games except for the demos, my vie on this is limited. I'd say Geneforge, although my own pesonal facourite is avernum 2, for all its flaws.

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
Blades of Exile.

No contest, even though the GF series has an odd habit of attracting a wide swath the internet's special education population. +300 scenarios, many of which are large, above the quality of anything done by JV, and also very fun. Extreme technical devotion, nitpicking amongst community members and innovative gameplay make BoE the best buy ever.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
I'd like to contest that Blades of Avernum's only drawback compared to BoE is its present lack of scenarios, and even considering that it is already nearly as good.

The point stands, however. Blades of Avernum, then Blades of Exile, then, with a long distance the other games.

If I'm meant to rank them all: Avernum 3, Avernum 1, Avernum 2, Exile 3, Exile 2, Exile 1, Nethergate, Geneforge, Geneforge 2. I prefer GF because the plot, at least, is new at that point.

[ Saturday, April 16, 2005 12:29: Message edited by: Eyrin Fontramonn ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #4
Yeah, from what I've heard about BoA, it's probably the best quality game so far, so I'll vote for it. However, I am a big fan of BoE.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
Blades of Avernum has ~10 scenarios. Blades of Exile has over 300 scenarios, and over five times as many quality scenarios than exist for BoA period.

(And don't even TRY to argue that BoA reviewers are harsher than BoE ones.)

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by :Slash::

Considering I haven't played Geneforge 2/3, or Avernum 1, or the Exile games except for the demos, my vie on this is limited.
Same. However, Exile 3 is pretty good quality.

Shouldn't you of put a poll in and got people to say why in their post?

[ Saturday, April 16, 2005 14:10: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #7
BoA, BoE, Avernum 2, Nethergate, Exile 2, Geneforge 1, Avernum 1, Exile 1, Exile 3, Avernum 3, Geneforge 2.

Reasoning:

Blades of Avernum is better than Blades of Exile for my purposes because of the fact that I own BoA and not BoE. Both blades games beat all Jeff's other games because they allow players to actually well... make their own scenarios. Yeah. After that, the games are rated first on plot, close second on gameplay, and far third on graphics.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #8
Polls are terrible.

Anyone who says anything here other than BoE doesn't have BoE, or is an idiot.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #9
BoE, BoA, Exile 3, Exile 2, Avernum 3, Avernum 2, Avernum, Exile, Geneforge, in order from best to worst.

No opinion on Nethergate or Geneforge 2, having not played them.
Apprentice
Member # 665
Profile Homepage #10
Blades of Exile

It has more scenarios, and until BOA does, it's BoE.

--------------------
"Only fools are quoted"

-Annonymus
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #11
BoA. I don't own BoE, though.

I do, however, think that Jeff made a better system with BoA, especially the open-source editor. It's got a higher learning curve, but I think that's why all the scenarios released have been at least decent. Now if only he would fix the bugs in the app itself...

So, the community's done a lot with BoE, but Jeff himself did a better job with BoA, and the community's gonna do that same stuff with BoA, ...right?
Apprentice
Member # 5666
Profile #12
BoA is ok, but then again, after playing it, I found it really hard to play BoE, even though I have been playing it for longer. I guess in that case BoE wins, because... it's just better experience for people who may be new to these games. And it has a poo-load more scenarios. :D

--------------------
"I died. Give me a lot of money." -Guybrush Threepwood

\m/(O_o)\m/
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
BoA wins on potential, BoE wins on actual product. They're also in a category of their own. Comparing one game, no matter how good, with hundreds of games or even potentially hundreds of games is unfair.

Otherwise, I like A2, Nethergate, A1, A3, E3, E2, and E1. While Geneforge demos are intriguing, I can't get past the engine, which does not agree with me.

—Alorael, who would like to append a few more important things. Lost Souls trails the other games by a lot, but it's worth playing. Ocean Bound trails by even more and probably isn't worth playing. Galactic Core falls in somewhere near OB. Homeland is not a game at all. It's a cruel and unusual experience.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #14
Blades of Avernum.
this is because you don't have to go into fight mode to kill things in tunnels etc & the graphics
are better

my personal fav has to be boe at the moment just for the range of scenarios :P

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #15
E3 is my personal favorite, however, BoE is by far the best game.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #16
I think I agree that Geneforge 2 is the most "polished" of the Spiderweb games. Geneforge 3 is probably a close second, and arguably first.

As you can see from other posts, the Blades of XYZ have a fanatical following among some of the board members, and as someone who owns both, I can tell you that I think they fail the "newbie" test. In the sense that they're very hard games to get into. For BoE, the graphics and engine are nearly two decades out of date, which seriously limits the casual gamers ability to enjoy them. And BoA is only about a decade out-of-date engine, but lacks the fanatical fanbase of BoE.

I would also like to take issue with the common assertion among the Bladesistas that BoE scenarios are someone the best game designs ever. I'm sure they have their charm, but come on. At best, they've milked a below average game development tool for everything its worth. Unfortunately, even questioning this dogma usually results in charges of heresy and questioning of mental health and/or sexual orientation.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Zorro:

I would also like to take issue with the common assertion among the Bladesistas that BoE scenarios are someone the best game designs ever. I'm sure they have their charm, but come on. At best, they've milked a below average game development tool for everything its worth. Unfortunately, even questioning this dogma usually results in charges of heresy and questioning of mental health and/or sexual orientation.
I'd actually call BoE an above-average game development tool, although that has more to do with the generally parlous state of game development tools (especially for Mac) than the objective quality of BoE. You're right, of course, that there have been plenty of BoE scenarios made that aren't that great, and that from a technical perspective BoE designers' innovations are mostly not that impressive compared to what modern commercial games can do (those that are lauded are often viewed from a whistling-dog perspective; sure, the dog can't usually whistle very well, but it's pretty damn impressive that it can whistle at all).

So I guess a lot of your view of BoE, especially from a technical perspective, is going to be shaped by how impressed (or unimpressed) you are by the fact that the community's become very good at teaching dogs to whistle.

Having said that, plotwise some BoE scenarios beat most commercial games. We're fortunate enough to have a number of very talented writers in the community.

[ Saturday, April 16, 2005 18:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Can't it be both?
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by andrew miller:

Can't it be both?
Yes, it probably could. There are hepas of idiots.
And a couple on this board, but I won't name names.

[ Saturday, April 16, 2005 19:18: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #20
Or, yes, both.

There are BoE scenarios that beat most commercial games in far more than just plot, I think. Some of those dogs whistle really well. :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
If the outdated engines of BoE and BoA bother you, Spiderweb is not for you anyway and none of the games are likely to be favorites of any kind.

If you can stand the technical and graphics gap (although turn-based games haven't advanced much recently so the technical aspect really isn't so defunct), you can enjoy scenarios that do remarkably impressive things for casual developers who aren't touching anything resembling code (for BoE, at least).

And you certainly get more quality gaming hours from BoE than from any other RPG I can think of (MMORPGs excluded, but they're not beginning- and end-driven).

—Alorael, who should perhaps cut down on the parentheses. As tempting as they are (and they are very, very tempting!), they seem to serve too often as a distraction rather than an explanation. (The distraction to explanation of each post as a whole could be called into question, but that can be ignored for now.)
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #22
BOE yeah its great 300 scenarios sure. But its so ugly now compared to BOA. The scenarios are certainly great. I just can't handle the crude aesthetics anymore.

Oh and my favourite game E3/A3 yeaa!

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #23
I think BoE looks way better than BoA.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Apprentice
Member # 5651
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Polls are terrible.

I say BoA is best, i have BoE, and I am not an idiot, or at least I prefer to think I am not. I despise flaming like that more than anything else... honestly, don't try to force your personal views on others. It'll only make them loathe you, right...? Unless, of course, they think the same.

The lack of scenarios is an unavoidable problem, but will get better over time...
And I prefer the BoA gameplay system. When playing BoE I was rather annoyed by the sheer uselessness of melee combat against foes, excluding, of course, those who had magic immunity. At level... what was it, 26? My best melee fighter's most potent hit against a SLEEPING enemy was... 36. Mages were overpowered, and I'm not going to argue over that.
The scenario editor is also much more flexible... more complicated to use though.

--------------------
For the wind cries of late
In the whispering grass
Our way of life is held
In the spinning wheels of chance
For the wind cries of late
In the whispering leaves
Tell me more about the forest
You once called home

Pages