On The Possibility of Objective Morality

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: On The Possibility of Objective Morality
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #50
Not speaking specifically of Thuryl, just in general or me.

It seems the first one to take one's rightful place is annoying, but if they want it that bad it can be over looked (assuming it's a good day.) After a couple people do that same thing it starts to feel like one is being pushed around, or territory is being walked on. Feeling wronged by one person is frustrating; feeling wronged by many people will make anyone angry.

[ Monday, March 28, 2005 16:10: Message edited by: Dolphin ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #51
In my insight, any conscious act which disadvantages others, is wrong, simply.

[ Tuesday, March 29, 2005 02:01: Message edited by: Mind ]
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #52
If there was a universally objective perfect moral system for all human beings, then no one would be able to contest it because it would be able to stand up to all questioning. Every part of it would be right.

Fortunately, because many things are questionable, it is not likely someone could create such a system. Various religious or political fundamentalists claim their system is the perfect moral system and can never be open to question. Usually this is through divine or philosophical revelation which ultimately can never be proven.

Moral systems start from a single person often and spread throughout a society. At any given time there are some individuals who are capable of introducing radical changes of thought; enough to change a society completely.

This usually happens when said individuals are challenged to their core of beliefs. There is always a chance that a person can have a strong impact. It is often because they are forced to make a compelling decision in life.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #53
There is no objective moral system like there is no absolute language.
Moral values exist within a group and adherence to them is the price the individual pays for being accepted by the group.

Discussing moral values does make sense as part of the self-definition of a group- but otherwise it is of frustrating irrelevant abstractness.
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #54
Sorry to take so long to get back to this. I haven't been online in a while.

So Thuryl, you object to things the nazis did simply because you feel (not necessarily belive) they were wrong? Please tell me if I misunderstood you.

quote:
Originally written by Toasty Warm:

If there was a universally objective perfect moral system for all human beings, then no one would be able to contest it because it would be able to stand up to all questioning. Every part of it would be right.

Here's what I belive the universally objective perfect moral system for all human beings is, "Love your neighbor as you do yourself." (neighbor in this context meaning everyone, but you probably knew that)
I would be interested as to what questioning you don't think it could stand up to. Or were you looking for one that was achievable?

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally written by The Creator:

So Thuryl, you object to things the nazis did simply because you feel (not necessarily belive) they were wrong? Please tell me if I misunderstood you.
Even to say that I "feel they were wrong" is putting it too strongly, because it implies I feel as if my feelings have applicability beyond myself. I just have a personal dislike for genocide and for those who support it, that's all. Consider undertakers as another example; even if I acknowledge that their work is necessary to keep society together and thus beneficial to me, I'd rather not attend a dinner party with one, because they're creepy.

quote:
Here's what I belive the universally objective perfect moral system for all human beings is, "Love your neighbor as you do yourself." (neighbor in this context meaning everyone, but you probably knew that)
I would be interested as to what questioning you don't think it could stand up to. Or were you looking for one that was achievable?
So people who hate themselves to the point where they want to take their own lives ought to try and take as many other people out with them as possible?

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 00:03: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #56
So you dislike what they did, but you can't really explain why, and are of the opinion that it is impossible to explain why? (again, correct me if i'm wrong)

As to the other issue:

1. Most people who kill themselves don't do it because they hate themselves.

2. People who do hate themselves still love themselves.

3. Those that hate themselves do so because they feel what they are doing is wrong, and only kill themselves if they can see no way out of it. This, combined with point two, would mean they should love others, but hate what they do, and only kill them if it is the only way to stop what they are doing, and the crime is serious enough to warrant it (after all, people don't kill themselves over shoplifting).

Edit: I should rephrase that. People don't kill themselves from the guilt of shoplifting. They might do it out of fear, if they see death as an escape.

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 00:35: Message edited by: The Creator ]

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by The Creator:

So you dislike what they did, but you can't really explain why, and are of the opinion that it is impossible to explain why? (again, correct me if i'm wrong)
Oh, I can explain why, but not in a way that'd necessarily be convincing to anyone else.

Answering your second point would just lead to another ontology-fest centred around defining our terms, and I think we'd all have enough of those.

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 01:36: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #58
Not everyone who kills themselves does it because there is something they feel they did wrong. They can also do it because someone did something to them.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #59
In any case, I'm inclined to suspect they're not motivated by being overjoyed with their lives as they currently are.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages