Are you a game addict?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Are you a game addict?
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #0
Because everybody likes polls and because I wanted to find out how addicted I am, I made this little test.
Feel free to share your experiences.

About myself: I’m a rather affected person (Avernum and skribbane). And I confess that I play even stupid card games like Klondike sometimes – just to calm down :P

Poll Information
This poll contains 10 question(s). 50 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=NCYnuQlgzuzz"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=NCYnuQlgzuzz"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Actually, I play games very rarely these days. Significantly more of my time is spent online (on forums as well as just surfing aimlessly).

And yes, games are kind of an escape when I do play them. Usually when I have either some kind of stress problem or something very unpleasant to do. It doesn't make that go away, of course, but it provides a brief relief from that "tunnel perspective".

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #2
The amount of time I spend gaming per week is highly variable- I basically only play when I have something worth my while, and since I don't bother to spend more than twenty-five dollars or so on games per year, there are more than a few dry periods. My main objective in playing a game is to assuage boredom, and as such I don't play when I have anything better to do. Which means I'll never be the loser holed up in his room on the computer while others are partying it up somewhere or even hanging out next door. However, I have been guilty on more than one occasion of playing when I ought to have been at class or doing homework.

In terms of my addictions, gaming hardly qualifies. Alcohol tops the list, although I'm in my early stages of addiction yet. Once I get pangs from abstaining a week, I'll know I'm there. I'm not really sure if any other addictions exist in my life. I'm not a terribly passionate person in general, although when I do really like something (or someone) I suppose I am rather prone to addiction and obsession.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #3
Some of my answers are different than they would have been a month ago. I played all the Avernum and Geneforge games until I was too bored to even consider opening them again. This was after having played each game multiple times and being able to recite conversations before the NPCs said anything. I liked playing the new games and the scenarios because they were new stories and I didn't know what was going to happen next.

Computer games are an escape from the world. They are a much less harmful method than most people use, assuming school and relationships don't suffer due to lack of doing anything else.

hmm, only one skribbane head huh (thinking back on some past posts)

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #4
Computergames do not distract me from my sorrow.

The main aim in a game is triumph. Realising that this triumph would be irrational, however, I do not enjoy playing games. The only reason why I do is a desperate attempt to fight the tedium and emptiness.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #5
I stick with spiderweb games. Otherwise games would take up too much of my time. Not that Avernum isn't as addictive as Skribbane. I am addicted to Gremlin Merlot! Can't stop drinking the stuff...

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #6
Mostly to forget a little about the world (these days) and because I enjoy the immersion in a parallel world (since. . . a long time).

If I like the game, I tend to play it straight through until I finish it (RPs and Adventure games) or a map or so a day (Strategy), but it doesn't keep me from work or going out (unless it's a really nice game. If Fallout 3 ever comes out, for example, and I like it as much as the previous 2, I'll be playing it straight through, forcing myself to work, but sleeping little (as usual) in between.)

Only addiction I have these days, besides films (I guess seeing every single movie I can, including tons of garbage, may constitute an addiction), I'll have to say cigs.

Hardly ever play a game a second time.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #7
I was stuck for the longest time in Khoth's laser maze in ZKR before I realized I had invulnerability potions to use (cursed efreeti!), which actually kept me off away from Blades. Now that I'm past that stopgap, however, I'm back to playing whenever I can. Diplomacy with the Dead will be done soon, and then - the other scenarios!

And to think I purchased my mac to reduce my gaming...
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #8
Macs don't lessen your gaimng expierience. PC's have plenty of problems, more than any person can have. As for the mac, better performance.

PCs=Ford
Macs=Holden

I'd just thought I'd say that.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #9
Macs are PCs.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #10
hmm... is von toast copying my sig?

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #11
Computer games distract me. They distract my attention from the crap, the misery and the stupidity of the world. Sure, my schoolwork probably suffers from me playing on the computer, when I should be working, but after a few hours work, my brain is pretty useless.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #12
Hey FBM, you changed your name! Epimetheus, the afterwards-thinker? ... what should we think of that? :P

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
I don't really play games all that much any more. I usually just surf the Internet and post useless posts on these forums in my recently-limited spare time. But yeah, on vacations, my addiction is strong. :)

Everybody should have checked skribbane. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #14
Yes, after thought.

We should probably think of that that the FBM decided that change is good and wanted to keep up appearances.

Because, like heck, is anyone wanting the real reason.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #15
Hi FBM! Nice new name.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)