Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avatars
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #0
Why did we get rid of avatars again? The space they took up?

I still picture a lot of the oldbies by their Ikonboard avatars.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #1
I think that that was the reason why. I had just got someone to host a little mung pic for me too...what a world...

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Custom avatars hardly take any space or bandwidth. Both come from the host, not Spiderweb. The problem was page loading times for dialup users who had to wait for the atrociously large avatars of certain members. Those with dysfunctional caches were also at a disadvantage.

—Alorael, who misses avatars. He doesn't miss the loading times, which at their worst were even a problem for faster connections. Part of that was probably from the fact that his computer is always one step ahead of toasterdom, but part of it was a genuine problem.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #3
IIRC, the line was pretty much officially broken when lost_king got his 800x600 avatar.

EDIT: Me fail english? That's unpossible!

[ Thursday, March 10, 2005 21:32: Message edited by: Wise Man is quite the ]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
Avatars...I've heard it somewhere. Please refresh my memory.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #5
Well hmm why doesnt the Forum set guidlines such as 80x80 avatars only. Most other places do.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
I don't know if it's possible to do that with UBB. Even if it is, a lot of forums which limit image sizes do so simply by shrinking down the dimensions of any image that's larger, which doesn't actually reduce loading times.

[ Thursday, March 10, 2005 21:48: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #7
i dont remember any avatars, were they before my time?

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I don't know if it's possible to do that with UBB. Even if it is, a lot of forums which limit image sizes do so simply by shrinking down the dimensions of any image that's larger, which doesn't actually reduce loading times.
Can UBB do the image shrinking? To whom can we appeal for the return of avatars.

Also, for those who wanted to know, avatars are a picture under your name that you choose to represent you.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
I am sure that UBB forums elsewhere do limit sizes to 80x80. Meaning they don't allow you to link to or upload any image beyond a certain size. An alternative would be having the forum supply a list of say 3,000 possible avatars.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

I am sure that UBB forums elsewhere do limit sizes to 80x80. Meaning they don't allow you to link to or upload any image beyond a certain size. An alternative would be having the forum supply a list of say 3,000 possible avatars.
I have not heard of any way to check the size of an off-site file that is linked to, without uploading it first.

That is why some boards will allow you to upload, but not link to an avatar, in order to control the filesize directly.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #11
anotehr reason they where disabled was becuase of newbie questions like "how do i get a pictue before my name?" and from people who don' look at option woh went "how do i get rid of thoose annoying pictures so it loads faster?" and, the answer for thoose who still don't, is if you wnat to read teh text switch to a Gecko browser.

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #12
The newbie questions would be avoided for the most part but posting the information on hiding, adding, and removing avatars at the top of the page.

[ Monday, March 14, 2005 14:49: Message edited by: Dolphin ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

The newbie questions would be avoided for the most part but posting the information on hiding, adding, and removing avatars at the top of the page.
There's a link to the FAQ at the top of the page. Doesn't stop people from asking questions that are answered in it.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #14
Pff who reads the FAQz. I never do what a waste of time.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Apprentice
Member # 5578
Profile #15
First, I'd like to say that Avatars are one of the best innovations of the Message Boards idea. They make it easy to recognize anyone at a glance, which is a good thing.

I'm not familiar with UBB at all. I don't know whether its possible, but my favorite solution is one that I've seen used with vBulletin, which is to have a restricted list of (small) avatars that you can choose from, and good boards conduct can get you a Custom Avatar.

Failing that, it would be good to look into limiting avatars to 80x80 or some-such-thing.

Failing that, I guess we could do without them. :(

As to newbie questions, they will always exist. They always have existed. They will never stop existing, failing total destruction of the Universe. No, not just the world. If any newbies survived the destruction of the world, they would be asking "wy cant i breeth in teh space??!/1/!?!/!!" Only destruction of the Universe will totally get rid of Newbie Questions.

So deal with it. :P

--------------------
What kind of idiot quotes himself?
My kind of idiot!

"As to newbie questions, they will always exist. They always have existed. They will never stop existing, failing total destruction of the Universe. No, not just the world. If any newbies survived the destruction of the world, they would be asking "wy cant i breeth in teh space??!/1/!?!/!!" Only destruction of the Universe will totally get rid of Newbie Questions.
So deal with it."

It's the Axial Tilt, Stupid! -Douglas Adams
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #16
C'mon Drakey! Give us back avatars please.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
Avatars would take the entire fun out of changeable monikers. I've seen boards with avatars, and I've seen boards without them. They're both fine. But this board doesn't need them.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik