is there any body know auto translation tool

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: is there any body know auto translation tool
Apprentice
Member # 5534
Profile #0
I tried a lot to translate my documentation from US to Canadian English by referring to translation books but I am not satisfied what I am getting? Do we have any translation tool which can translate my documentation? Any suggestions most welcome. :confused:
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
There really isn't much need to translate from one English dialect to another. They're all mutually intelligible. Canadian French, on the other hand, would require some doing.

—Alorael, who believes that good automatic translation is an oxymoron. If you can't do it by books and you don't know someone who can do it for you, you'll have to leave it in whatever language(s) you know.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
www.freetranslation.com

But then again, they don't offer English to English.

That's like translating a Northern accent to a Southern one. Or perhaps "white folk talk" to "ebonics". Or even Spain-Spanish to Mexico-Spanish (or so there are some differences here, but thats not the point). Err... the point is, use whatever English you know, I'm those Cannuks can figure it out.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I think the major differences between American English and Canadian English are kind of like the differences between American English and British English. Those differences are basically that most words ending in -or in American become -our in British (color -> colour, honor -> honour), words in -er ofter become -re (center -> centre), and punctuation goes inside or outside of quotes based on whether the quote actually contains the punctuation, rather than according to the American rules, which are truly odd.

I'm not sure if the Canadians do all of that — it seems likely that they don't — but that's what the Brits (and as far as I know, the Aussies) do. Any real Canadian, feel free to correct me.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Another difference is that words that in American English end in -ize (such as "organize"), usually end in -ise in Commonwealth English (and therefore probably in Canadian English as well).
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
I would imagine that an auto-translator that manages to garble an English-English translation would be a novelty.

[ Wednesday, February 23, 2005 04:46: Message edited by: Beyond the world were visions shown ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #6
europian spanish to latin american spansih is easy: make every vosotros an ustedes, and remember to pronounce your g's and your uy's diffrently (there might be another charctor, im nt 100% sure)

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
And reconjugate the verbs from second person informal plural to third person plural. And maybe add a vos or two, depending on the country. Then consider whether the preterite subjunctive has to change from -se to -ra. Worry about other regional words! Or, like most Spanish speakers, just hope that the other party can figure out what you're talking about.

—Alorael, who knows of at least one translator that is technically English to English. Yes, it is amusing, but at least it's intentionally amusing. The other kind of translator is better known as spellcheck.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #8
Canadian language is really a mess of American and British. Technically the British spellings are the preferred but if you write everything in American style its accepted too. English teachers always say to stick to one or the other style. Generally though it is colour,honour, realise, flavour, etc along with programme,tyre,etc for the more hard lined. Since Canada is so far from Britain any language difference from the US is usually taken in as purely Canadian. A common discussion between Canadians about language, at least in my experience might be; JP: Do you spell colour, honour whatever with a u or without. TR: With a ''U'' that's Canadian using an ''o'' is America.

L'apprentissage de deux langues n'est pas immédiatement amusant.

[ Thursday, February 24, 2005 14:06: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #9
Also, regarding the difference between European and Latin-American Spanish, in Spain, c's and z's are pronounced with a lisping sound that's a bit softer than a -th, while in the Americas those are pronounced more sibilantly and sound basically like s's.

[ Thursday, February 24, 2005 15:57: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #10
Well, I ran this thread through one english-to-pseudoenglish translator. Quite interesting results.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
And Spartan Greek had way more alphas than Attic Greek, which replaced them with etas.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by wz. arsenic:

Well, I ran this thread through one english-to-pseudoenglish translator. Quite interesting results.
Tachytackizzles
Brotha

xDDDDDD

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #13
quote:

Fo shizzel ma wizzel dat hiz hof da hizzel innit.Dere hiz like massive amountz hod deme tranlaturs. Fer Real da wurld wuld B a betta place hif all da Skools taught bruvas da proper Henglish aii.

[ Thursday, February 24, 2005 21:59: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
Look at the signatures...

quote:
Kelandon's Hizzay Level Party Brotha...
quote:
Mother****a
quote:
Baghdad Burn'n , by Riverbend, is chillin' published!

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
WUT R U DONG?!!??!!? WTF LOL
I laughed. It really was funny. Thanks, Alo.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #16
The term after looking at the translation sites is localization of language. It involves translations from France French to Canadian French, Cantonese Dialects, Portuguese Portuguese to Brazilian Portuguese. I think if you looked around you could probably find a description of the differences. I think Microsoft Word has a built in Canadian speller and grammar checker. It is supposed to be buggy though. I am not sure of this.

http://www.cornerstoneword.com/misc/cdneng/cdneng.htm

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.