In the Spirit of fantasy...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: In the Spirit of fantasy...
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #0
I was wondering if anyone has a reliable sourse of midevil goods? Not replicas or remakes. But items well enough off that they can be used effectivley. I'm looking into the SCA and I need some equipment. I'm a little on the cheap side so if anything is provided please make sure it's not above the 500$ limit per item at least. Any help out there?

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #1
I'd imagine you were best off looking on eBay. Sword fetishist friends of mine have had success getting that kind of thing from there in the past.

[ Tuesday, January 11, 2005 09:10: Message edited by: Morgan ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #2
Ahh, but I'm looking for a rapier. And a nice one at that. Preferably french, they seem to be the best at it. I'm looking for an item that can be used in combat as well though. So chances are that ebay won't really provide me with stuff that holds up to impact with armor. But hey, who knows. I looked there and found only one frence rapier. But due to the cost I doubt that it's any quality...

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Why the pressing need for the genuine article? Did someone challenge you to a duel?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 5343
Profile #4
you could possibly check www.battleorders.co.uk it has some real stuff.

--------------------
Mu Ha Ha Ha
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #5
Err, if you are really doing SCA, and unless they've changed significantly in the last, oh, five years or so, a genuine rapier won't work. They require specially made, padded swords to help prevent people from killing each other. Reallise a real rapier has two very real, very, very sharp edges, and that death of a participant is a very real possibility. If you are looking to fence, I'd suggest an Italian peccoraro. It's much closer to a real weapon then any modern fencing weapons. There is also a German sword, called the schlager, which is fairly popular. A short Google search produced the following site:
http://user.netonecom.net/~swordman/SwordSources.htm
Enjoy! (Note, I never actually joined the SCA, but I did look at it for a while.)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
If it exists, it can be purchased on eBay. Everything can be purchased on eBay.

—Alorael, who would consider swords the perfect candidate for auction. They're valuable, not likely to be disposed of casually, and really not easy to deal with in any normal setting.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #7
Check here. Almost anything you need when it comes to melee weaponry can be found here.

--------------------
I am the way into the doleful city
I am the way into eternal grief,
I am the way to a foresaken race.
Justice it was that moved my great creator;
Divine omnipotence created me,
And highest wisdom joined with primal love.
Before me nothing but eternal things
Were made, and I shall last eternally
Abandon all hope, all you who enter.

Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #8
I can vouch (sp?) for BudK. I've purchased a couple weapons from them (battle-ready katana and greko blade). Not all of the stuff can be used for actual chore, ie. made for show, so read up first.

www.budkww.com

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #9
Hey, thanks for all the help. I know you've got's to have it padded, but that dosn't mean you can't have a nice little weapon on your hip while you walk around the fair now does it? I mean. Part of it's for the sprot, but the other parts for looking damn nifty, no?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #10
I believe the SCA does have a division that competes with the real weapon- just the armor requirements are much higher than when you compete with the boffers. At least that was how it was when I looked at it about a year ago.
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #11
Are you serious? That would be great! Hmmm...the SCA has a homepage for that stuff, right? Perhaps...SCA.com? Just a quess. I shall have to check that out.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5383
Profile #12
good plan

--------------------
stay forever......

the title of my story which is at a slight standstill due to my creativity bleeding away slowly blahhh
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #13
Did you really register just to say that?
:P
Warrior
Member # 5321
Profile #14
hnady tip; when lookign for authenitc goods, try to find an Itallian good first, and foremost- Italy was th epreimire foundary for all europe, and while its quality os stell was not as good as Toledo in Spain, or Damasquus in SYria (two area that had steel production to such a fine art, that in all history, only th emodern steels surpass them)

but Italy was the forefront for military, and artisitc development during th emiddle ages, and renaissance; it has the most beutiful arms and armours, as well as th emost effective designs.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Fun fact: the so-called "true damascene" swords were almost certainly from India, not Damascus, whereas many "false damascene" swords were in fact from Damascus. Metallurgical techniques in Syria just weren't that advanced.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
The wootz steel process first appeared in India, and Damascus may have imported Indian steel for their swords, but there is evidence suggesting that they made the famed damascene swords themselves. There are also those who disagree. Historians will probably debate it until they stop getting grant money for it.

—Alorael, who has also heard that the steel was named not for the city but for either men (al-Damasqa and variations), perhaps as merchants traveling from India.
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #17
Fun Fact of the Day: Did you know that the Japanese made steel by simply heating and folding iron over and over?

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5383
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by m's avatar:

Did you really register just to say that?
:P

Yes i did......well it was a start at least
and im glad that now i am subjected to not only verbal abuse yet hate through a keyboard.....just playing ...i know the guy "personally"

[ Thursday, January 13, 2005 08:17: Message edited by: fayte ]

--------------------
stay forever......

the title of my story which is at a slight standstill due to my creativity bleeding away slowly blahhh
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
I read somewhere that Japanese Tokugawa-era swords are probably the only swords ever made that could actually behead a man with a single blow (with a powerful enough strike, of course). All those movies that you see with a sword slicing someone's head clean off are, well, exaggerating.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #20
Really?
quote:
Japanese Tokugawa-era swords are probably the only swords ever made that could actually behead a man with a single blow (with a powerful enough strike, of course).
If I could make a blade of grass go fast enough I could cut off someone's head with it. Did any executioners use swords? I know the executioner from The Three Musketeers had a sword but I doubt that book is accurate.

[ Thursday, January 13, 2005 08:57: Message edited by: m's avatar ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
Well, I meant realistically, on the field of combat.

Add another limitation: I'm pretty sure that the rest of the world post-1852 acquired that technology. But prior to that...

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
Executioners did use swords to decapitate the condemned, and they did (sometimes) accomplish the job with a single swing. Obviously trying to do the same with a mobile and angry foe is much more difficult, but I'd like to see the source before believing that it never happened. It may have been unlikely, but I doubt it was completely unheard of.

—Alorael, who wonders about the decapitation in medieval and pre-medieval writing. Sure, some of it was simply to display great heroism on the part of characters, but the amount of decapitation and the lack of awe that often accompanies it suggests that it isn't a truly superhuman feat.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
Apart from being of higher quality, Japanese swords were also considerably heavier than Western swords, so it's not as if superior metallurgical techniques were the only difference. Overall, military equipment and tactics in Japan were much more oriented toward offence; whether this was a cause or a result of the fatalistic attitude of the Japanese military code is an open question.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #24
In terms of Western weapons, the finest blades came from India and Spain towards the beggining of the period, and more from England towards the end. The Damasque blades are actually fairly interesting, and the folding served both to distribute the high and low carbon steel evenly, and also to provide a stronger, more durrable core and a sharper blade. Any given metal can be forged on a continuum, with the tradeoff being that it is either more capable of being sharpened, but also more brittle, or more durable, but duller. The best swords struck a careful ballance.

Incidentally, the Roman swords were thrusting weapons, not slashing weapons because a slash was more likely to be caught in flesh, while a thrust could be easily retrieved.

Pages