Life Cycle of the Adventurer

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Life Cycle of the Adventurer
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #0
This is about the pattern an adventurer usually follows. I am thinking of real life adventurers in this case. A few of them would be Ibn Battuta, Marco Polo, Sir Richard Burton, and Cortes. There are of course others which stand out the returning military conqueror or sword saint- Musashi, and Julius Caesar. Also there is the political soldier who goes off to fight in various foreign wars-- Theodore Roosevelt and Winston Churchill.

They start out young either going to fight in a foreign war or going on some sort of trade mission. They do this to either get political patronage, or establish a trade route. Generally they go somewhere and kill a lot of people either to prove their military superiority or establish
a trade route. If they don't kill a lot of people they try to demonstrate their cultural superiority.

Once they come home or on the adventure they try to get a military rank or a civil title. Usually this involves some kind of intrigue or patronage which then leads another adventure where they are serving a specific leader-- sultan, East India Company, Spanish Crown, etc.

They go back either to spy, serve as a senior military officer, or company representative. This usually involves a lot of wandering, daring escapes Winston Churchill-- escapes from Boer camp, Sir Richard Burton-- visiting Mecca, etc.

Once they are finished with this they come back to seek a title or position. Richard the Lionhearted returning from the crusades, Ibn Battuta finishing his adventures and becoming a magistrate. This usually involves some kind of intrigue and jockeying for power. There are very few scenarios based on the returning hero. Usually something is wrong at home. The end of the Odyssey is an excellent story about the returning herro.

In the end if they are recognized, they write their memoirs which become classics -- Ibn Battuta, Winston Churchill, Musashi.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #1
Lewis and Clark were adventurers...

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #2
Sir Edmund Hillary, Sir Peter Blake

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #3
This is a weird thread. Are we supposed to discuss adventurers? :confused:

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #4
Eggs with Toast started it.

Better stop it now.

[ Friday, December 31, 2004 19:33: Message edited by: The Absolut Sagacious stranger ]

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
Life Cycle of an Adventurer:

1) Adventurer is born
2) Adventurer declares herself/himself an Adventurer
3) Save Game
4) Die
5) Reload, Goto 3

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #6
what about *kill goblin*
Oh yeah, and then gain XP. :)

[ Friday, December 31, 2004 21:10: Message edited by: - ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #7
Sure discuss your favorite real life adventurers like Musashi or super mythological adventuers like Odysseus.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #8
I like Maui for founding Aotearoa,
Abel Tasman and Captain Cook for discovering New Zealand,
Jean Batten, Blake and Hillary for being kiwi adventurers.

[ Saturday, January 01, 2005 08:51: Message edited by: The Absolut Sagacious stranger ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #9
Toast's concept of "adventurers" applies for the type who conquests or gains power to affect a large region. I do not think he is talking about explorers or people who only want to discover something new, and perhaps become privately rich in the process.

I'm sure most adventurers would like to be famous, but gaining a title or political role might be too public for those who aren't the glory type.

I guess all I am saying is that not all adventurers have to be soldiers. But those people aren't very famous.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #10
I'm not really the history fanatic. I like that one guy who had an army of stone soldiers made for him. He was chinese I believe.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #11
Most explorers who became famous affected large groups of people and became rich in the process. Marco Polo was not particularly violent but he did open the silk road to the Italian city states. Ibn Battuta was a traveling explorer in the real sense. However, he did use his explorations again not violent to further his political ambitions. I am including either violence, commerce, or political gain. It was very rare for explorers to just go for explorations sake. Shackleton would be one of these.

I am including all types of adventurers in the real sense of the word.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #12
What about Magellan? Also, remember that most of the "adventurers" life stories are as true as Odysseus's. Caesar's life is very different from the story you get from his Commentarium.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #13
It is a pity that Caesar was killed the year he was made dictator for life. Do you believe that Ides of March prophecy?

I think that the homecoming part of an adventure is a common enough idea, but not many people implement it. If I had to guess why, I would say that the actions done to make the adventurer worthy of his title are more interesting than his trip home.

But it would have many opportunities for background story if you are the type that wants to heavily narrate a story to the player.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Warrior
Member # 720
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

It is a pity that Caesar was killed the year he was made dictator for life
I would say that the greater pity is that he allowed the burning of the Great Library of Alexandria.

*shakes fist at idiocy* :mad:

--------------------
-Daravon
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #15
There's no proof that it was burnt at that time. It's equally plausible that it was burnt when the Muslims captured Alexandria or at a number of other points.

This is an interesting thread, but where it falls down is that it's depictions of the 'adventurers' it mentions are horrifically inaccurate.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #16
Some female adventurers came in my mind, for example:

- Jeanne d'Arc (1412-1431) who led the French army to free Orleans from the English garrison.

- Mary Read (1685-1721) who fighted the flemish army then engaged as a sailor. When her ship was captured by pirates, Mary stayed with them and became a pirate too.

- Cheng I Sao (1775-1844) who married the leader of the Chinese pirate confederation . After his death in 1807, Mrs. Cheng took the command over a community of fifty thousand pirates on 1500 ships and controlled the sea lanes from Hong Kong to the Vietnamese border.

- Phoolan Devi (1963-2001) the "bandit-queen", who led a gang of rebels in Uttar Pradesh, stealing from the rich, giving to the poor. Adored by the lower castes, she gained a seat in the Indian Parliament - after her release from prison.

- many more (... Lara Croft :P )

Interesting that all these women were wearing men's cloths, behaving like men in fights, developing a cruelty and cold-bloodedness as men. They literally lived as men. Is adventurer a male job?

Remarkable too that adventurers live always in the twilight zone of good and bad. Crimes are often included - and soon forgiven. Outlaws appear romantic and glorified in reviews. What is the difference between an adventurer and a hobby-bandit (or a stock broker)?
The fame as I suppose ...

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
I'd hardly say that cruelty is a uniquely male trait, unless you think Margaret Thatcher was trying to be a man as well.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #18
I'd hardly say that adventurer is a "male job", or that these women lived as males. It's just that we're more accustomed to seeing men behaving like that. :P

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #19
You seem to have sevearley different interpretations of the word "adventurer". You seem to add generals, pirates and the like whereas i wouldnt count them. I mean its pretty hard to adventure when youre followed by a 30,000 strong army and are going into explored territory.

--------------------
"Fair and unbiased"
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #20
Well whats your definition of adventure? Do you have to be by yourself or with a small group? In case that an adventurer is one that has adventures, there are a lot more people that could be discussed.

Would you call Armstrong's little step an adventure? Is he an adventurer?

The RP adventurer doesn't really seem to be that common in real life.
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #21
The world doesn't need to be saved every three seconds here in the real world. Thus, few RPG-type heroes.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #22
I am really not looking for definitions. I really don't need them. I am more interested in your thoughts about what an "adventurer" does and the process of how they lead their lives. I think it has more to do with exceptional daring and willingness to explore new things. So Armstrong would qualify.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #23
What about Sir Francis Drake? :D

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #24
I think all thos old school explorers should count because then they thought the world was flat and they were goin into unexplored territory. Half them scared for fear of faling off the Earth.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich