OS

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: OS
Warrior
Member # 29
Profile #0
Sorry if this has been covered already...
Is spiderweb ever going to make games for Linux? I'm installing Linux on my computer and really would like some cool games besides snake. I know it's still not quite as good as a mac ;) but it would be awesome if they did!

Oh, and anyone have advice on which Linux to use? My labs use fedora, but I don't know if I'm sold on it.

--------------------
Graph Theory Rocks My Socks.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Exile 3 is the only Spiderweb game made for Linux, and I understand that it wasn't Jeff who ported it. I can't even find any sign of it now.

Basically, Jeff has shown no inclination towards porting his games to Linux.

—Alorael, who isn't sure he could afford to. Porting takes quite a while, and the Linux crowd is both fairly small and likely to be able to run Spiderweb games on other OSes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #2
I believe Linux has programs which can emulate both windows and the mac. I think the program which emulates windows is called WINE -- I am guessing it is free. So, you probably can get both a mac emulation program and a windows emulation program. This would allow you to run all three types of programs.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #3
This is a link to a page which supposedly shows you how to run some windows programs on Wine including Blades of Exile, and Avernum 1, 2, and 3

Link to wine game conversion

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
The version of Exile 3 for Linux is here, under "older games."

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 29
Profile #5
Thanks for the info about WINE, which is really interesting. I'll check it out when I get that far. I guess I was hoping that more and more games would convert and then the gamers! Because truthfully, games are the only reason I still have windows, and I don't really want to have Lindows; it takes up too much memory. Anyone here run Linux at all?

--------------------
Graph Theory Rocks My Socks.
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #6
Yes.

The Exile 3 port to Linux is a piece of crap; it's based off a years-old version of winelib, which means that it's basically like running the Windows version with a years-old version of Wine. As far as I can tell, any of Spiderweb's games up to and including Blades of Avernum (and related editors, etc.) run more or less perfectly in Wine.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #7
i can't get them to run it WINE, but then again, i can't get WINE to configure itself properly. You could also use BOCHS and install Windows on a free-DOS disk image or use your own Windows Disk image to run it.

edit: on distros, i use Debian right now, adn have alo used a Slackware based distro called College Linux. I prefer College to Debian because of how it runs on the computer i run it on, but it depends onwhat you do. Faedora technicaly isn't even Linux, and much of teh Linux community dosen't respect people who use it on a home PC.

[ Thursday, November 11, 2004 18:26: Message edited by: High Lord Sylak ]

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #8
If you want the best there is, use Fedora. It's RedHat's experimental version of Linux, with features you won't see anyone else.

If you want something that's behind the curve, install Debian or some Slackware crap.

As for games--WINE requires a Windows install, IIRC, but if you have a Windows computer now you should be fine on that. I'd recommend a Mac emulator, though, as for some reason they run faster on my own box.