Stem Cell Research

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Stem Cell Research
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #25
Sorry, Thuryl - it wasn't aimed at you or m so much as another party.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #26
Not touching the quagmire, but for Latin scholars-

Fetuses or Feti?

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #27
We're speaking English. Fetuses.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4603
Profile #28
quote:
Kryptonian is a member at Chance, and most probably found out about Spiderweb through RC. Chance seems to have been down for the last few days, so it only makes sense that, deprived of the political topics on Chance that are his lifeblood, he would start one here.[/QB]
To Stughalf:
-I must say Stug, you are making a major assumption in saying that political topics on Chance are my lifeblood.

To Others:
-In all actuality, I have been a member here for quite some time, but I have only chosen to reveal myself at this point in time.

-At any rate, it is good to see you again, Stug. :)

Back on topic-- I will now return to one of my previous questions: Does anyone know where to find a report that supports or disproves Bush's comments about stem cell research? I was hoping that it was on the internet, mainly because I desire greatly to read it.

--------------------
Being a pacifist between wars is like being a vegetarian between meals.
--Colman McCarthy
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #29
Well, it isn't really something clear-cut that can be proven or disproven. As you said in your original post, "more effective" is an ambiguous term with many meanings. Embryonic stem cell treatments have already been used in one trial to treat Parkinson's disease, and while there was some evidence of a benefit early on, there were serious side effects later in the trial. I'm not sure how much use adult stem cells have seen in therapy so far; both embryonic and adult stem cell research are still in the very early stages at the moment.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #30
I think the Latin singular is foetus. That's certainly the spelling used in England and I see no reason why the extra o might have arisen.

At least, I think that's the Classical Latin spelling. I'm sure there are umpteen examples of some scribe using fetus instead.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
The OED says "fetus" is historically the correct spelling and the O was added in the 16th century, probably by doctors with little knowledge of Latin who were trying to sound educated.

[ Saturday, October 16, 2004 13:44: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #32
Most likely they confused it with foetus, a bad smell.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality

Pages