Blades of Avernum Center

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Blades of Avernum Center
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #25
The traffic thing was about the site, not about the forum. And it will get even better after submitting the url to 18 search engines.

Oh look: Lol, nice links! :D (You should cut the extra http:// part in the second lik, or it won't load).

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #26
Arancayter: I am reliably informed that it also means stallion.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Morgan:

quote:
Respect to be respected. You don't know me and have no right to insult. You're the one giving a bad image of yourself when doing so.
PRENEZ-MOI DANS L'ANE, TU ETALON

Sorry. I'm not into that stuff (check the religion and homosexuality topic in this board). But I'm sure you'll find someone one day, and share some experiences. :)

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #28
You *do* realize, that in the end, it will all be *your* fault, no matter what the older members said and did..?

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 10:17: Message edited by: Hi, my name is ALL OVER THE PLACE ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #29
I certainly wouldn't want to have any part in a forum where a mod commits blatant plagiarism and the admin passes it over.

Even if I were convinced that this BoA Center isn't harmful, and even if I were convinced that the population there consists of genuine designers who have enough knowledge about the editor that entering into design discussion with them would be worthwhile, and even if I were convinced that this site will survive for more than a few weeks, all of which would take considerably more justification than Overwhelming or anyone else has offered, this would turn me off completely to the site and everyone in it.

EDIT: Sigh. After a discussion with Micael, it appears that this script was made in good faith, and it was simply an error that caused it to appear on the site as it does right now. As it stands, the script is plagiaristic, but evidently of the accidental (and less harmful) kind. It should be noted, however, that the very fact that this has happened at all (and Overwhelming's rather underwhelming response) is a demonstration of why this site is not a good idea.

EDIT 2: And it is fixed. I have no further complaints against this script.

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 11:15: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #30
*edits*

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 10:47: Message edited by: Morgan ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I certainly wouldn't want to have any part in a forum where a mod commits blatant plagiarism and the admin passes it over.

Even if I were convinced that this BoA Center isn't harmful, and even if I were convinced that the population there consists of genuine designers who have enough knowledge about the editor that entering into design discussion with them would be worthwhile, and even if I were convinced that this site will survive for more than a few weeks, all of which would take considerably more justification than Overwhelming or anyone else has offered, this would turn me off completely to the site and everyone in it.

You're just making a defamatory post. Fortunately you included an URL, so people might judge themselves your imagined plagiarism.

I wonder why you're so worried about the site and forum. You just can't tire yourself talking agains't it, with no real motive (I can only imagine why). I expected more from you, but I guess first impressions don't do justice.

Anyway, your post there was replied and I did made things more clear. I hope this all was just a misunderstanding and you may edit your post above.

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 11:17: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------

--------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #32
That site seems pretty unnecessary to me. What's to be gained?

Also, I'll back Kel in his assertion that it is plagiarism. Even I, a total noob, recognize that code. You have to give credit where it's due, or no one will respect you.

[ Monday, July 26, 2004 11:16: Message edited by: AM ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by AM:

That site seems pretty unnecessary to me. What's to be gained?

Also, I'll back Kel in his assertion that it is plagiarism. Even I, a total noob, recognize that code. You have to give credit where it's due, or no one will respect you.

Credit was given. And it's now edited so that it is even more clear.

--------------------

--------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #34
Fortunately, as I have edited into my previous post, the script is fixed now. As a note for anyone who is reading this now and wonders what I was talking about, the part that says:

// Based on doorlever.txt by www.spidweb.com. It's doorlvever.txt, except a click sound and a different text box.

was edited in as a result of my comments. Without that, it was plagiarism, intentional or not.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Fortunately, as I have edited into my previous post, the script is fixed now. As a note for anyone who is reading this now and wonders what I was talking about, the part that says:

// Based on doorlever.txt by www.spidweb.com. It's doorlvever.txt, except a click sound and a different text box.

was edited in as a result of my comments. Without that, it was plagiarism, intentional or not.

To bore more accurate, there was no plagiarism. Here's the original statement:

quote:

"(...) basically simple lever (...)"
I made it more clear, due to complaints: substituted "simple lever" with "doorlevel.txt".

Then Kelandon complained again (I don't know why), so I even made it more clear: added www.spidweb.com and rephrased the whole sentence.

If you don't like the site, just don't go there. There's no need to make a campaign agains't it.

--------------------

--------------
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #36
I really have nothing to say on the accused plagiarism, as I have no involvment therein. However I would urge some of you to search and understand the root of your territorialistic behaviour.

Of course the BoAC is benign, how could it ever be harmful? Understandably, having the word "center" in the name begins to threaten some egos, but, oh, whats in a name?

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #37
This is the only forum that I'm registered on, and I plan to keep it that way for a while. I spend enough of my time posting here already. :P I have considered registering on the Lyceum, but I'll just be content to read there. At least there TM actually keeps his username. :P

Anyway, if I had had a question on Avernum, I would post it here and not have to go through the trouble of registering on a whole new board. Your board does look okay, though. I might visit from time to time.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:

To bore more accurate, there was no plagiarism. Here's the original statement:

quote:

"(...) basically simple lever (...)"
I made it more clear, due to complaints: substituted "simple lever" with "doorlevel.txt".

Read a guide on academic referencing sometime. At the very least, a reference should include the name and author of the original work. The whole point of referencing is to give credit to the author, after all.

It's fine now, but for future reference that's probably worth keeping in mind. Plagiarism is a serious issue.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #39
I predict it being the divisive factor of the SW community.

Also, Morgan, it's 'cul'. 'Ane' is a pack animal.

And a great site does not exist because it wants people. A great site exists because people want it, because it fills some kind of vital niche. This site will be, even at best, a poor substitute for the Lyceum, to say nothing of SW satellite sites with individual character.

Now Overwhelming, rest of community, stop hectoring each other. Thank you.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #40
Perhaps divisive in a good way?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by Ultimate Weapon Custer:

And a great site does not exist because it wants people. A great site exists because people want it, because it fills some kind of vital niche.
Exactly.

Quoting a fool:

quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

"Let's have a, like, totally central place. For everything. And why shouldn't it be mine?"

If one member thinks this, well, there's one guy struck with hubris and egomania, but since he's the first he'll likely have success.

But since there's dozens of people with that philosophy, we have dozens of guys (and girls) struck with hubris and egomania. And the result is a dozen sites all striving to be the 'central' place. What good does it do?

Speaking from experience: I set up the Encyclopedia two months after I joined here - not much difference to you there. I started it because I found out there was a niche that hadn't been filled yet by any other page - we had ~10 graphics archives for BoE, some of which included a little information about the game world (Akhronath's Archives and Drakefyre's Demesne, but those were brief and specialized on Vahnatai, respectively). There wasn't a site dedicated to this single purpose yet.
Am I a hubrid egomaniac for doing so? Well, I guess so. I should have left this kind of thing to people who knew HTML, people who knew about Ermarian, and most of all people experienced and respected in the community. I won't deny that my motives for getting the project going was to a great part my drive to become popular on these boards.
Would I have tried to make the site if there'd been one already with exactly the same purpose? No. I'd have supported the other, just as I've submitted my BoA graphics to the Louvre, would send my BoE scenarios (if I had any) to Alexandria and Spiderweb, and any scenario reviews to the Lyceum or Spiderweb.

Point?

Find an area that has so far been neglected by the existing sites. I can't think of any right now, but I'm sure you'll find some. :)

[ Tuesday, July 27, 2004 11:45: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Explain why. Only if you're talking about the reactions from certain members of the BoA community, which are far from representing it. (In case you don't know, the BoA (and spidweb's) community isn't reduced to the people who post here or in any other forum. Most of them are people who aren't interest in participating in forum or whatever. They just found the game, liked it, play it and some como again to see if there are more scenarios for their game. Somo even might think about making one, so they seek help for that.

Those are the people I want to serve. Give them the information they need.

Which leads me to comment your next statement:

quote:
And a great site does not exist because it wants people. A great site exists because people want it, because it fills some kind of vital niche.
I agree. I didn't create the site because "wanted people" or whatever that means. I want to share something I like (BoA and it's editor), help other people with it, change information, etc.

I don't know why would I make a site just because I would "want people". That's for egocentric people who have nothing better to do, probably with low self-esteem.

I'm old enough, have my responsabilities, my work, my study, family, girlfriend... My life isn't internet, so it's not the internet that will satisfy my needs as a person, as a human. It's just a hobby, and it's in that point of view that I see BoA and the BoA Center. So I just can't understand the concept about making a site just to attract people. Attract for what?

It's a site to serve and share. Yes, share means that are certain things I want in return: people getting the help they need, people making scenarios for all of our enjoyment. So it's natural that it needs people, not because that's the purpose of the site (just get people), but because a community isn't nothing without people. We need people to contribute with their share to the BoA scene: scripts, art, scenarios. But it's all mutual.

I don't want to 'divise' the community, I want to contribute.

Now, if you don't like the site, it's your right. If you don't wanna visit, just do so. But why talk bad about it? Why trying so hard to see it down (and I'm not only talking to you now)? Aren't you the one's who are hurting the community? Just think about it.

quote:
This site will be, even at best, a poor substitute for the Lyceum, to say nothing of SW satellite sites with individual character.
Unless you know the future, it's pure malice saying that. I can't understand how a BoA fan, or someone who wants to see the community grow and strive, could act like this. That means you're clearly attacking. I don't see no reason for an attack a just born site. There are no real motives to do so. So th attack can only be a form of defence. Defence of what? Maybe some egos. Maybe people who think the site is a threat... "Threat? Ha!" That's what you must be thinking now. But if it's not, then why worry? Why trying to put it down?

I made the site for the motives I told already. I didn't know this would happen with some people around here. I want to contribute and bring something positive. Even if you were right in saying that I'm failing in doing so, at least I'm not doing something negative for the community, like you're doing (once again, I'm targeting certain people, not generalizing or only talking about you).

quote:
Now Overwhelming, rest of community, stop hectoring each other. Thank you.
That's an hypocrisy. You try to bite me above, contributing to the "hectoring" (that I didn't start and even tried to avoid), and then say that...

Well, let's just do that. Any other post after this one will be just ignored. I have no time for this silly situation.

I wish things could have started better here. It started good and some statistics indicate me that my site is being useful, visited and, who knows, making people enjoy even more the game and the scenario design experience.

By the way, the BoAC's forum is just secondary. It has the potencial to be the best forum, or might be the worse. I don't care, because I want people to find the best they can. If it's not my site, no worries. If people like the site, but prefer another forum to gather around, no worries. The important thing is that they get what they need to have/make an optimum BoA experience. I want to contribute, but even if I fail I should not be misregarded for that.

But I won't fail. I won't let the site die. I even have some good plans for it. It will always be there for anyone who wants to go there. That I can assure. This is not just an initial enthusiasm that will just fade away. If I were 10 years younger, I would ask myself that ;) . But that's not the case.

I'm a busy person. Now I'm on holidays, so that's why I put aside some time to create the site. But I'm not going to say holidays are finished, have no time and start forgetting the site, if that's what you think. I plan to make it a weekly updated site. I'm being fair with my self: I wouldn't have time or even will to make a daily site. So I've set a more realistic objectives for it, so that in the future it won't became a burden.

Anyway, I hope that I could clarify some things. It's up to you to listen or not. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Let's just forget all of this and just make this community even better.

Let spend this time playing and desiging. :)

(PS: Gee... Almost 15 (!) minutes spent writing this, I hope it was worth it)
(probably some people will find it funny to say it wasn't :P )

--------------------

--------------
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #43
quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:

quote:
Explain why. Only if you're talking about the reactions from certain members of the BoA community, which are far from representing it. (In case you don't know, the BoA (and spidweb's) community isn't reduced to the people who post here or in any other forum. Most of them are people who aren't interest in participating in forum or whatever. They just found the game, liked it, play it and some como again to see if there are more scenarios for their game. Somo even might think about making one, so they seek help for that.
I think he meant that plagarism would be the thing that divides the community. If you haven't already, go read about Solberg at the Lyceum.

quote:

Which leads me to comment your next statement:

quote:
I agree. I didn't create the site because "wanted people" or whatever that means. I want to share something I like (BoA and it's editor), help other people with it, change information, etc.
He didn't mean that you wanted people. He meant that your site wants people. I've seen half a dozen posts by you saying to people "Please fill my site."

And what vital niche does your site fill? BoA Center? That niche is already filled. The Lyceum does everything you're trying to do.

Surely you agree that it would be better if people could get something from your site that they can't get from anywhere else. At the moment, you're supplying a product there is no demand for. I would hate to see so much effort and enthusiasm go to waste.

[ Tuesday, July 27, 2004 18:24: Message edited by: The Creator ]

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom

Pages