Free games, courtesy of Jeff

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Free games, courtesy of Jeff
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #0
Of course not. :P

I wonder, though, if given enough time, if Jeff will put up his older games (e.g. Exile 1) up for free download. I know, it's not too likely to happen, but maybe. :)

If people stop buying a certain game because they'd rather have the newer ones, Jeff mays well give it to us.

--------------------
-ben4808

My signiture is el very good.
post count = 0 + current

Visit the CSM Forums!
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #1
Probably not; he's still making money off of them, and until there are no longer any active OSes which support his early programs (unlikely, being as how Windows is big on reverse-compatibility), it's very unlikely he'll even consider it.

There's a move towards getting him to release the BoE source code, though.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
At least he editor source...

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #3
That would be very nice. It would certainly help heal the gap between Jeff and the BoE community.

I think that the fact that, from I understand, BoA is open source, this might serve as an incentive for Jeff to do so.

Here's hoping to that.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #4
Why would any developer ever give away a product that was previously for sale? It makes no sense, maybe a deep discount, but not free, I can't fathom that

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #5
in fifty years, it will be highly sought-after abandon-ware, i'm sure.

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #6
dampeoples - Because it was previously for sale - if a company chooses to no longer support or sell a product, it's typically considered "abandonware" and the company typically looks the other way at it being distributed for free.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #7
Plus, it's a good way to advertise new SW games.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #8
So true. Rockstar Games (North) recently (well not recently) released Grand Theft Auto and some other game for free download. If your computer is remotely up to date, then you'll need an emulator, but hey... free games.

Also, Bethesda released TES:Arena for free not too long ago. Same deal with the emulator, but same deal with freeness. If you want free games, check those out. Classics for free. No questions.

www.rockstargames.com
www.elderscrolls.com

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #9
Some people are motivated more by their love for coding and their community than desire for lucre. These people release their games for free and provide their source as a gift to the public.

I wouldn't expect shareware fans to understand, though. What a pathetic concept.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.