Army rations rehydrated by urine

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Army rations rehydrated by urine
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #0
Read it here.

Poor soldiers :D

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #1
Well, I suppose they'd probably prefer to drink muddy water than to lug around a whole lot more clean water... maybe.

But drinking urine (don't know about with this gizmo they mention) is counterproductive, I think, in the same way drinking salt water is. It is, at least, if Bill Bryson is a reliable source.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #2
Wow. What will they think of next? It kind of reminded me of the stillsuits in Dune, which made the body the most efficient place to store water. That can't be said, however, for people largely exposed to the elements, with their moisture evaporating into the air as they sweat. Still, anything in a pinch, I guess...
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Eldiran:

Well, I suppose they'd probably prefer to drink muddy water than to lug around a whole lot more clean water... maybe.

But drinking urine (don't know about with this gizmo they mention) is counterproductive, I think, in the same way drinking salt water is. It is, at least, if Bill Bryson is a reliable source.

They wouldn't use it to drink, but to rehydrate the food. So the extra "salt" would just spice the food. :D

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
The thing is, when you drink salt water of a certain concentration, the effect of the salt outweighs the effect of the water. Ie, you are dehydrated even more.

But it's a nifty idea: Use entropy to move the water from one impurification - dirt - to another, non-toxic one, ie food...

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #5
Anyway, if bacteries can't pass through the membrane, maybe salt crystaloids can't either. :)

--------------------

--------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
The salt's not really that much of a problem. As the article points out, the real worry is urea. There's a reason we have to excrete urine, and taking it back in doesn't do us much good.

However, for any non-desert operation, there's sure to be some source of liquid somewhere besides in the soldiers, and they'll be sweating less if they're not carrying water with their rations.

—Alorael, who supposes that blood would do in a pinch. That's either a motivation to engage with the enemy and cause blood to fountain everywhere or a motivation to get along well with your comrades because come supper time someone's going to have to open a vein.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #7
Whoa — talk about an attention-grabbing topic...

I was just reading the topic headings in the General forum — most of it the typical, mundane stuff — and then something about "rehydration" and "urine" jumps out at me...

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #8
Urea doesn't pass the membrane. The problem is that it's corrosive, so the membrane wouldn't last long. :)

--------------------

--------------
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #9
Sigh another everyday article. Get your daily dose of these kinds of things http://www.snopes.com and http://www.forteantimes.com

:rolleyes:

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #10
Personally, I wouldn't mind if I had to drink filtered urine if it would lighten my pack so much. At least as long as they tested it on other people first. :)

That's a cool idea.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #11
OMG I DRINK MY OWN BLOOD BLOOD TURNS ME ON DID U NOE IM ACTUALLY A VAMPIER?? SEE MORE AT www.vampirefreaks.com YA SO ANYWAY DRINKING MY OWN PISS WOULD BE THE SAEM AS DRINKING MY OWN BLOOD SO I WOULD DO IT

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #12
*throws Rosycat into the sun* >8E
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #13
In Venezuela there is a bit of a urine drinking fetish--don't think of it as a you know what fetish because it isn't that way and by the gods in the firmament that is a topic that has nothing to do with this!--by that I mean, a good number of people do it. I've no idea of the percentage, but it comes up in conversations from time to time.

Also, you will see people going to what passes for talk shows here and speaking of the wonderful properties of urine drinking.

Also, the Curanderos(as), think """witch""" doctors, also offer urine as part of the cures. They also offer a bunch of other really freaky stuff. Egh.

What I have heard is that it's okay if you drink it as long as it is yours.

I had an anecdote about this but shall not say anything. You will sleep better not knowing that, and I shall sleep better knowing you don't know.

But I've heard it tastes worse than warm beer. Acidic and needless to say warm.

I'm glad, Rosy, that here we don't have too many goths. I am so glad. So glad. There are a few, but not quite like the U.S.

Now maybe some Curandera(o) somewhere will invent another magical cure that mixes urine with blood (both your own, of course, 'cause otherwise it will be unhealthy and unsanitary)

And I wouldn't be surprise if I stop by one of our shabby bars and they give me urine on the rocks with a little rum and they call it some catchy name like El Chiguire Atomico, or something.

Blech.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #14
AGH AUHF IM DYING HEER THE SUN SCARES ME! BRING ME BAC TO THE NIGHT U WILL PAY FOR THIS IMBAN I WIL BITE UR NECK AND DRINK UR BLOOD!!!

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
*rescues Rosy and returns her to her coffin, glaring at Imban*

NOT NICE IMBAN NOT NICE AT ALL :mad:

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #16
Having in consideration that the urine is an excretion of our body, I don't think drinking it again would be ok. :) For example, if the body must lower the blood's (humm, let's call it) "substance X", to lower its pH it will throw away that substance. If you drink it again, then you're braking that equilibrium again, puting yourself in danger. :)

[ Saturday, July 24, 2004 10:02: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------

--------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Rosy:

OMG I DRINK MY OWN BLOOD BLOOD TURNS ME ON DID U NOE IM ACTUALLY A VAMPIER?? SEE MORE AT www.vampirefreaks.com YA SO ANYWAY DRINKING MY OWN PISS WOULD BE THE SAEM AS DRINKING MY OWN BLOOD SO I WOULD DO IT
What's the taste of the virtual blood? I'm curious ;)

--------------------

--------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #18
AUF THANX KEL
BITE BITE IMBAN

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #19
Well now, if a wild guess is anything to go by, I would suggest that virtual blood tastes a little like a scrap of a moth-eaten anorak that has been left in perpetual rain for five years before being used to clean the largest (and therefore smelliest) pair of shoes in the world, then being made into a sautee with yoghurt.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #20
*secretly exchanges Rosycat's coffin for a tanning bed*
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
*Abuses asterisks*

—Alorael, who doesn't see anything wrong with a tanning bed as long as it's not turned on. Tanning beds can, in fact, make very nice coffins for those who like a room with a view.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00