Spiderwebs future

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Spiderwebs future
Apprentice
Member # 1852
Profile #0
This is directed mostly at the Admin. and moderators, or anybody thats pretty close to Jeff. I was wondering if anybody knows how long Jeff is going to keep making games for Spiderweb. After Geneforge 3, and the possible BoG, is he going to move on to some other thing, or is he going to keep making games here? I hope he keeps this stuff up, because he's doing great.
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #1
I don't know, but why do you think is he gonna stop? In the BoA editor instruction, he said: (about game designing)"I've been doing it for ten years, and I'm only just getting started."

He's gonna continue, making us dreaming, killin'zombie, escaping from the harsh reality!
:)

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
He once said that he keeps making games for fear of losing his house (or something like that). He just had a daughter, so I doubt his expenses are going down. I'd say the man will keep on working for some time yet.

Although what exactly he will make remains to be seen, as you can tell from the numerous old speculation threads lying around, and the one current one.

EDIT: Well, whatever. He has a daughter, a young one, making his expenses unlikely to go down any time soon.

[ Wednesday, July 21, 2004 22:44: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #3
Just? Isn't she two and a half years old by now?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #4
Time flies... :D

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by crowsfein18:

This is directed mostly at the Admin. and moderators, or anybody thats pretty close to Jeff. I was wondering if anybody knows how long Jeff is going to keep making games for Spiderweb. After Geneforge 3, and the possible BoG, is he going to move on to some other thing, or is he going to keep making games here? I hope he keeps this stuff up, because he's doing great.
Well, Spiderweb's core is Jeff. If he left Spiderwb, there would be no Spiderweb. So the question should be: will Spiderweb keep producing games? I don't see why not. Apparently it pays the bills and it's a work Jeff likes doing. Hey! Having fun (and some headaches) doing what you like and then watch others playing it and even adding their talent and creativity (in the case of BoE and BoA) should be rewarding too. :)

But if Jeff finds a better ($$$) job, then don't worry! We, hte fans, will keep Avernum alive with our editor skills! :D

[ Thursday, July 22, 2004 02:22: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #6
Noone in his right mind would consider living from shareware, unless doing this is a private dream and enables you to live your own individual life and do the things you really want to do.

It was what made me curious about this guy years back, when I played Exile 1 and discovered that he actually planned to get a living out of it.

--------------------
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
Well, he does now, doesn't he? :D

But, to be honest, it's not a career I'd choose for myself, even with ten times the programming skills which I could ever hope to have. Too much stress.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- ben
Apprentice
Member # 1852
Profile #8
Im just worried that he'll get an offer from some big company, and then wont get around to making anymore games.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #9
He works from 12 - 6 p.m. and from 12 - 4 a.m. Nice schedule, much to my liking, but what company would have him?

--------------------
Polaris
Apprentice
Member # 1852
Profile #10
I bet any big company would take a guy with his talents, and pay very well for him. Im sure he's gotten tons of offers, what with what all he's done at Spiderweb, virtually by himself.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
He said, oh, somewhere -- I just read about a million interviews with him, Googling +"jeff vogel" +interview -- that he wishes he could have fancier graphics and sounds, and that's the only appeal of a big company to him. He said in the same interview that he isn't sure he'd like working with lots and lots of other people, that a three-person company is just about right for him. And I doubt he'd like relinquishing creative control.

So Jeff pretty much is Spiderweb, and Spiderweb is Jeff. I don't think that will change any time soon.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4583
Profile Homepage #12
He should not do that registration code stuff, it's too easy for hackers to break. Should be like Nethergate where the only way is to get the CD.

--------------------
"Fall in CHAOS!!!" Dark Archon.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
But Nethergate is impossibly easy to distribute. At least code-breaking is limited to those passably acquainted with computer skills or those who are acquainted with those who have the proper talents. Nethergate can be given to anyone by anyone.

—Alorael, who believes Jeff commented on it somewhere by saying that most people don't steal games because the games are too expensive, they steal because they hate inconvenience. Make getting a free game a difficult and time consuming process and most people will buy. Yes, some people will still steal, but they're not much of a loss if they would never have purchased in the first place.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
Of course, if you were to place high in two scenario contests, you could legally give someone a free copy of a Spiderweb game. :)

Back on the subject, I think Jeff should hire more people and get racking out the games quicker.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #15
I don't think Jeff is planning on producing games quicker than he does. It seems he has established a working routine that fits his lifestyle. I don't know.

Making a living out of sharewar seems rather difficult. But, on the other hand, despite whatever criticisms his games have gotten, they are still some of the best products in shareware arena.

I got interested in his stuff way back in. . . 94, I think. I fell in love with E1 because it was one of the most elegant games I had seen in ages. It reminded me of the RPGs I loved as lad, like Ultima (which evidently inspired him, as he once stated)

If you take a look at the other RPGs that are shareware, well. . . frankly most of them suck rotten eggs. They are awful. Some have "nice" graphics, but terrible gameplay, or dumb stories, or, well, a complete lack of balance.

I think SW has a very long future indeed. I should it does.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #16
Shareware will be around for a long, long time. The quality of Spiderweb games will ensure that Jeff is among the top of the list, at least as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos