Internet

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Internet
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
After numerous adventures attempting to get SBC Yahoo! DSL, I have failed. I still don't have Internet access from my computer. I still am stealing someone else's dial-up AOL to post. This means that to anyone to whom I have outstanding obligations to send anything to (Reality Corp is the first one that comes to mind), I won't be able to do it for a little while.

In the meantime, I appeal to you. What are your recommendations for good Internet service providers? Probably only Americans should answer this one, because I suspect it is rather different outside the US. I'm wondering about Comcast and other high-speed providers like that. What do you use, and is it good and cheap? Is there anything I shouldn't use?

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #1
I looked at Comcast's site a few days ago and they are a bit overpriced but they will give you what you need. How fast of an internet connection do you need? I am currently using Icehouse's 56k dialup but they are currently only in the Seattle/Spokane region. Um...the only ones that jump to mind right now are AOL, PeoplesPC, Webband, GBROnline, but I'm not sure what to look for speed wise...

Edit: Have you tried looking through your local yellow pages (phone book)? There might be some local internet service providers that can get you what you need at a low price.

[ Wednesday, June 23, 2004 10:35: Message edited by: Block ]

--------------------
♫ The truth is screaming BIG ♫
♫ A light so bright ♫
♫ Whether day or night ♫
It can't be hid

§ realitycorp@gmail.com §

►► Chance is back online! ◄◄
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #2
Six months ago I switched to Earthlink from my local (and incompetent) ISP, and so far am very pleased with both the pricing and the quality of service. I use dial-up but they have high-speed available as well.

Also, I live in a small town in the middle of the Mojave Desert, and they have TWO local connection numbers here, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

--------------------
A.E. van Vogt (1912-2000)
The World's Most Influential Science Fiction Writer

Author of such classics as Slan (1940), The World of Null-A (1945), The Voyage of the Space Beagle (1950), and The Weapon Shops of Isher (1951)

Visit my website about him at www.home.earthlink.net/~icshi/
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #3
I've only ever had bad experiences with DSL.

My roommate and I use a cable modem with service provided through Comcast. Perhaps this was just for the Arlington, VA region, but currently they're running a special with no installation fees and $19.99 a month for the first three months. This is, of course, provided you purchase a cable plan (which you may already have). Comcast also lets you lease a cable modem for $3/month, which rules, since most modems are around $100. With a super-crappy basic cable plan (I don't watch much tv) and the high speed deal, my Comcast bill currently is about $40/mo. This will go up in September, but will still be manageable. I think that there isn't any contract obligation, so if you're only looking for service during the summer before heading back to school housing for "free" (w/tuition...) highspeed, this could be a good way to go.

Alternately, I have had good experiences both with Earthlink and with Juno. I think Juno with few/no ads is still only $10/month. Juno w/ads (very annoying...) is still free.

Also, you could just get an office schlub job like mine that gives you access all day! IMAGE(smile000.gif) Large firms are always hiring legal assistants.

[ Wednesday, June 23, 2004 11:13: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
I've been calling around since I posted that, and Earthlink looks like the best offer out of the garbage I've had to wade through so far. Comcast quoted obscene prices at me. The small, local businesses all work for/with SBC, so they all basically charge the same price.

I will continue the search online...

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
I've had a bad experience with Earthlink and worse experiences with Comcast and Verizon. All three of them said that service would begin in a few months, but when the date rolled around there were always problems. Verizon and Comcast then tried to claim that I was not living in an area they covered. After months of frustration with the two of them (first Comcast, then Verizon), I switched to Earthlink. They put me through the same rigamarole, except it took only three months and in the end it worked.

Now that I'm hooked up, things are fine. I've had only one lapse of service and it was resolved within hours. It's possible that the other providers are just as good, but I couldn't get them to provide.

?Alorael, who has a little bit of bitterness about the whole thing. Or couldn't you tell? On the bright side, Verizon sent him no fewer than three modems and then denied that the extras had been shipped. As long as they weren't complaining, he decided they make nice doorstops. Seriously. That's what he uses them for.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #6
I can't tolerate dialup anymore. I have cable through Comcast, was ATTbi, was Excite@Home.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #7
I have Earthlink DSL (512k), no major problems to report. Although in my recent move to TN, then back to NC, I had to give up my Roadrunner (3 Mb) because of the contract with Earthlink. I really miss my cable IMAGE(frown000.gif)

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #8
I use Charter High Speed Internet it works fine I've never had a problem.

--------------------
Getapc
--------------------
The Flaming Sword of not perfict grammer has now become The Flaming Sword of Pretty Good Grammar.
--------------------
Warning pretty good grammar behind.▓
--------------------
A guy with not so perfict grammer has changed to A guy with pretty good grammar.
--------------------
I shortened my signature more.
Warrior
Member # 1856
Profile Homepage #9
Your best, and cheapest bet, would be to finsd your local ISP. Its rater quite simple, draw a 50 mile circle on a map, with your house at the center, then visit all the computer stores within the circle, you are likely to fine at leat 20. I pay like $15 a mo for dialup, however now that i am stationed in korea, i have a 13Mbps DSL for $50 a mo! YAY!

--------------------
Please visit the RP Paridise. rgf-network!

The chance of someone looking at you is directly proportonal to the stupidity of your act.

The idea is not to give your life for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
After many phone calls, many menus (although none quite as horrendous as SBC's), and a few frightening experiences later, it appears that I'm going with Earthlink DSL (3000k). It would be interesting to keep this conversation going, though, just to see what other people's experiences have been.

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker