Hello from South America

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hello from South America
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #50
IMAGE(biggrin1.gif) I'm the only one as far as I know, and we eat, what the fishers bring in.

--------------------
Polaris
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #51
Enough with the emotive adjectives and nouns...

I for one am quite prepared to accept that the meat on my plate required something to die. You may not be and prefer not to eat meat. That's your choice. I don't believe in preaching against it and can't find any decent reason why it is of necessity actually bad to be a vegetarian. If you could do the same we'll stop thinking of huge bloody steaks, you can stop telling us we're facillitating brutal murder, you can go back to eating soya and lettuce and I can get back to selectively breeding bunny rabbits for cuteness and strangling them with my bare hands. Fair?

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #52
Actually, various studies have shown that various trace minerals and chemicals that keep the body fit and healthy can only be found in meat. Also these things were not naturally occuring, being by-products of some process or something (don't ask me what, I don't know anything about biology).

Added to the fact that chemicals in meat, naturally decrease hunger and that I like meat product; I'll stick with my present diet. I don't have anything against vegetarians, or vegetarianism, I'm just not one of them nor am likely to ever be.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #53
quote:
Originally written by FatBatMonkey:

Actually, various studies have shown that various trace minerals and chemicals that keep the body fit and healthy can only be found in meat. Also these things were not naturally occuring, being by-products of some process or something (don't ask me what, I don't know anything about biology).
Well, I'm a biology student and this is just rubbish.

Minerals by definition are naturally occurring in soil, and can thus only get into the food chain by being taken up by plants. As for organic compounds that are only found in animals, I'd be very surprised if you could name even one that's been found to be necessary to human health and can't be made in the human body from compounds found in plants.

The best evidence against the idea, of course, is the fact that we have a rather large group of vegetarians to study in the population, and there's generally nothing wrong with them. Whatever's in meat that isn't in plants can't be that important, or vegetarians would suffer a greater incidence of health problems than the general population, which, by and large, they don't. In fact, vegetarians suffer lower rates of heart disease than the general population, although this may be the result of other lifestyle factors.

Of course, most vegetarians are lacto-ovo anyway. Some even consider themselves vegetarians while eating fish or chicken.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
I'd be very surprised if you could name even one that's been found to be necessary to human health and can't be made in the human body from compounds found in plants.

So would I considering I know no more than elementary GCSE science.

I never said that you die without them. Merely that they do something that protein replacements can't, that does something good.

Though having a a healthy heart and being a vegetarian are, I would say, almost certainly down to lifestyle. The majority are vegetarians for non-medical reasons. It is reasonable to assume that health benefits are factored into their decision. Therefor reasonable to assume that they also take other actions to be healthy.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #55
quote:
As for organic compounds that are only found in animals, I'd be very surprised if you could name even one that's been found to be necessary to human health and can't be made in the human body from compounds found in plants.
Vitamin B-12. From eatright:
quote:
Vitamin B-12

Sources of vitamin B-12 that are not derived from animals include B-12 fortified foods (such as some brands of soymilk, breakfast cereals, and nutritional yeast) or supplements (see Table). Unless fortified, no plant food contains significant amounts of active vitamin B-12. Foods such as sea vegetables and spirulina may contain vitamin B-12 analogs; neither these nor fermented soy products can be counted on as reliable sources of active vitamin B-12 (29,88). Lacto-ovo-vegetarians can get adequate vitamin B-12 from dairy foods and eggs if these foods are consumed regularly.

Vegetarian diets are typically high in folic acid, which can mask the hematological symptoms of vitamin B-12 deficiency. Therefore, some cases of deficiency may not be detected until after the onset of neurological symptoms (89). If there are concerns about vitamin B-12 status, serum homocysteine, methylmalonic acid, and holotranscobalamin II should be measured (90).

A regular source of vitamin B-12 is crucial for pregnant and lactating women and for breastfed infants if the mother's diet is not supplemented. Infants born to vegan mothers whose diets lack reliable sources of this vitamin are at especially high risk of deficiency. Maternal vitamin B-12 intake and absorption during pregnancy appear to have a more important influence on vitamin B-12 status of the infant than do maternal vitamin B-12 stores (91). Because 10% to 30% of those over the age of 50 years, regardless of the type of diet they follow, lose their ability to digest the protein-bound form of the vitamin that is present in eggs, dairy, and other animal products, all people over the age of 50 should use vitamin B-12 supplements or fortified foods (92).

Studies indicate that some vegans and other vegetarians do not regularly consume reliable sources of vitamin B-12 and that this is reflected in less than adequate vitamin B-12 status (27,29,88,89,93-95). It is essential that all vegetarians use a supplement, fortified food, dairy products, or eggs to meet recommended intakes of vitamin B-12 (see Table).

Absorption is most efficient when small amounts of vitamin B-12 are consumed at frequent intervals. This could be achieved through use of fortified foods. When less than 5 µg of crystalline vitamin B-12 is consumed at one time, approximately 60% is absorbed, whereas 1% of a dose of 500 µg or higher of vitamin B-12 is absorbed (92).

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #56
Vegetarian debate + FBM = non-annoying posts. I'm lovin' it.

Omlette, my point was that his "anti-vegetarian" thing basically called meat-eaters brainless, which seems more pro- than anti-vegetarian to me.

BtI's post summed up my opinion as well, except for that last part... I don't see why so many meat-eaters have to be gruesome about it, but whatever.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #57
I believe that in this case, it was provoked by his being BtI rather than his eating meat.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #58
Oh, yeah, B12. I should have remembered that. Blame exams.

Don't mushrooms contain that, though? There was a whole awareness campaign a couple of years ago about them being the only vegetable that contains vitamin B12. I know mushrooms aren't technically plants, but I really can't imagine vegans protesting for fungal rights. IMAGE(tongue01.gif)
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #59
It seems that as long as the food you eat is balanced, you do exercise and take care of yourself, it doesn't really matter if you're vegetarian or not.
I've never seen any point in insulting either group, those who eat meat because they massacre those poor defenseless animals, and so on; or those who are vegetarians because they are flaky pseudo hippies or whatever.

If either group was bad for our health, really, really, bad then just by sheer inertia it would eventually dissappear (oh, that is so not so!)

For that reason, I eat what I like, smoke too much, drink too much, and probably will die very young. Of course the former diet explains why I have few neurons working and lead an extremely unhealthy life.

Cheers!

(Oh, and vegetarians are indeed sexy, though some of those meat eaters out there. . .)

--------------------
"I like traffic lights, but not when they are red." [Abridged] Monty Python Song.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #60
B12 isn't only found in meat, anyway, and only small amounts are necessary for health; even consuming a token amount of lacto or ovo will be enough. In any case, non-animal sources of B12 have been isolated for the benefit of vegans.

I'm lacto-ovo, so I don't worry about it. The moderate amount of cheese and egg I end up consuming more than makes up for the lack of meat.

Actually, studies show that the only nutrient lacking in the average vegetarian's diet is iron. I eat lots of beans, though, so it all evens out.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #61
Exams are to blame for a lot of things. <g> And yes, mushrooms do contain B-12, mainly due to soil contamination, I think.

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.

Pages