Religion, Homosexuality, Etc.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Religion, Homosexuality, Etc.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #25
IMAGE(Religion, Homosexuality, Etc (2)_files/shoe4.jpg)
TAKE ME NOW YOU STUD

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #26
Foaming at the mouth, Alec? I wasn't that fanatic about it, was I? I believe I said they would probably be tan, Middle Eastern-looking. Stem-cell research, well, I just keep thinking of Brave New World... and I said "God-guided evolution" for a reason; that is a prime example of the combination of science and religion. What kind of God would break his own laws? Maybe an omnipotent one? And I did say that he can if he wants to, which he does, if I'm right about God-guided evolution...

Also, Alec, most people don't worship their pocketwatches. It's not the gender that's important, it's the respect.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #27
'It' is not a disrespectful term unless applied to a human entity. We don't call money 'he' or 'she' either, do we?

As for stem-cell research, that arguement is closer to that against cloning -- quite frankly, I think I'd trade curing Parkinson's and giving quadrapalegics the ability to do the Charleston for some crackpot trying and failing to make superhumans any day.

All scientific evidence says that humans came from Ethiopia or thereabouts; in other words, just about straddling the equator. The first humans would have been black as night and much hairier, and they would have gotten whiter by natural selection as they spread out.

On top of that, you claimed they would have been white and evolved into blacks as time went on. The simple fact is that lightening skin is an advantage, whereas darkening skin is a survival trait.

As for God breaking his own rules, it doesn't make any sense, as an omniscient, omnipotent entity, to make rules and then break them. If God is in fact all-knowing and all-powerful, he would have made rules that fit what he was going to end up doing anyway, not made arbitrary ones and ignored them later.

(I use personal pronouns out of habit, not some contrived notion of respect.)

[ Sunday, February 29, 2004 17:41: Message edited by: Djur ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #28
That is pretty much why I don't believe in "God-guided evolution." I mean, what kind of God would make the evolution thing just because when He could just create everything and be finished with it?
Why would He make organisms suffer for millions of years for natural selection and stuff to occur?

What Bible do you believe in SD?

--------------------
-TEH BOOGEYMAN STRIKES AGAIN

--------------------

And then there's always a Chance nearby...
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Property of Reality Corp.:

That is pretty much why I don't believe in "God-guided evolution." I mean, what kind of God would make the evolution thing just because when He could just create everything and be finished with it?
Why would He make organisms suffer for millions of years for natural selection and stuff to occur?

Explain the Holocaust, or the Armenian massacre, and every war in human history, if God is just and the Old Testament is accurate.

What Bible do you believe in SD?

There is no difference; saying any is completely accurate makes as much logical sense as saying the sun is a dodecahedron and made of bismuth.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #30
If what Jame's trying to say is that whether or not there is a god, organised religion is if not inherently bad then at least certainly not inherently good, then I agree with him.

If that's not what he's saying, I reserve the right to wish he'd quit being so bloody didactic and start making logical arguments.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #31
Um, RC, you are aware that evolution is a CONTINUING process, and the earth CHANGES, and if God created everything "perfectly" it'd die the second the climate shifted?

It's observable fact that suboptimal traits are required in a population for continued survival. As they say, "one man's trash is another's treasure."

Old-earth creationism suffers greatly from this fact. The only way species could survive on an old earth as geologically active as ours would be either through evolution or through blatant divine intervention -- which puts the lie to free will.

Young-earth creationism, of course, is absurd; it requires one to believe in a divine or infernal trickster with near-omnipotent powers bent on confusing humanity. Under those conditions, science loses all meaning and humanity might as well exist in barbaric superstition.

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black

Pages