Help a fellow spiderwebber?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Help a fellow spiderwebber?
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #0
We are doing a Christianity religion project at school, and I am writing about the Quakers.
My teacher told me that an interview with a Quaker would be good; I said that I had seen someone who appeared to be a Quaker at "A forum im looking at", so would someone with Quaker background or beliefs have the time to help me?
I just have to make the questions...

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Warrior
Member # 2275
Profile #1
I don't know much but I know that they are like the armish, and that they are very traditional...

--------------------
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code? in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code? Images not permitted.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Ask Alec.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #3
Alec=Custer?

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
Yes.

This was a waste of a post.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #5
Alec = Custer, here, and Alec = AlecKyras on AIM. That would be a much better place for an interview.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #6
Enh, run with that, I guess. I can give you what I believe, not necessarily what's believed by the entire Quaker faith. You'll find that the Quaker faith is actually very fast and loose with dogma; there's none of the traditional, 'Do this, don't do this, don't say this, say this nightly, take one confessional a month and see me on Judgement Day', or even anything very much like it. Which means that a lot of the most interesting bits are going to be historical, of which I have a small smattering. Ask any of the more historically-inclined Britons on the board for more information on early Quaker history, because they tend to know the most about the big struggles near the beginning.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Quakerism is barely Christian. One could probably apply most of the tenets of Quakerism to a non-Christian religion without any trouble. I have been to several Quaker Meetings of various levels of formality and I have not felt at all awkward or out of place as a Jew.

—Alorael, who again thinks it would be good to talk to one of the board's resident Britons. From what he has heard, American Quakers are much more liberal than their counterparts across the Atlantic.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #8
Sorry to dig this up, but could you please check your private mesages Custer?

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #9
Argh, stupid double posts!

DOUBLE POST COUNT INCREASED BY ONE, TOTAL COUNT IS: 2.

[ Wednesday, February 11, 2004 15:07: Message edited by: Brass Monkey aka STD ]
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #10
The Quakers I've met are pretty liberal. Haven't met many of them, but during the build up to Iraq, CND was using the local meeting place to store banners and the like.

I haven't got that much knowledge about the early history, I'm afraid. I know that they got their name when one of their number was on trial for some religious offence, he told the judge he should "quake before the power of the Lord" - the real name is of course the Society of Friends. I also know that early opposition to their pacifism was quite virulent - just inside Colchester Castle's front gate, there are the remains of a small cell where a young Quaker starved to death during the Civil War rather than serve.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again