Avernum Story

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum Story
Apprentice
Member # 2773
Profile #0
Is there any chance I could get my hands on a copt of the complete avernum story. That is from the first vanhati (or whatever they are) through the creation of the sliths, the dragons arriving, the origin of the big demon guy, to the first expedidtion and right the way through to the end of avernum 3?

It would be nice to be able to read the history and formation of avernum and relive some of the adventures.

--------------------
If we assume that at the start of the first game, Micah has been ruling for 20 odd years, and we take into account that he was atleast 30 by the time he took the throne. If we add a year for the events of the first game, then 5 years untill the second, a year for that game and the seven years untill the begginning of the third, then take a year to account for the last one...
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #1
There isn't one. There are only what it says through the game, in the help files, and theories/conventions that scenario makers have agreed on.

The best source I can think of is:
http://www.sitemouse.com/users/drakefyre/vahnatai.html

Arancytar is compiling an "Encylopedia Emarian", but it is barely started yet.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
This is the basic story, but there are some inaccuracies:

The Empire as we know it originated on Aizo. The humans developed a civilization, cities, and more. There they fought against the giants, nephilim, and troglodytes and wiped them out. They developed boats and sailed in search of other continents. They discovered Pralgad and Vantanas. Vantanas was just a jungle to them, but Pralgad was much more hospitable.

The Empire made war with the tribes on Pralgad and took them over. Pralgad offered a better environment for crops and was much less mountainous, so they settled there and moved the capital to Pralgad. Eventually they returned to Vantanas and began to clear some of the forest. They discovered its rich mineral deposits and spices and rich trading companies sprang up. Around this time, the Anama faith was embroiled in a bitter conflict with the Empire, and they were slaughtered. The remaining Anama fled, eventually ending up on the Isle of Bigail.

South of Pralgad was Valorim, a land ruled by the vicious Ratbane clan of Nephilim. The Empire constructed Blackcrag Fortress at the southern end of the isthmus connected Pralgad and Valorim and began to mount attacks. After about 50-75 years, the Nephilim were overwhelmed and the cities of Gale and Lorelei were established.

At this point, Hawthorne I was the Emperor. His court mages discovered the system of caves beneath the surface, and he sent an expedition. The expedition was led by Thralni, and some of the other members were Scrioth, Karzoth, and Korthax. This expedition was slaughtered, "to a man and a woman."

After Hawthorne I's death his son, Hawthorne II, came to power. He began to send down violent and dangerous criminals of the foulest sort, instead of executing them. At this point, there was a power struggle among the mages, and Garzahd and his cronies won and appointed him the advisor to Hawthorne II. Hawthorne II sent these mages down to Exile, including Erika, Rone, Solberg, Aimee, and Patrick.

When Hawthorne II died and Hawthorne III came to power, Garzahd remained his advisor. Hawthorne III saw the portal to Exile as the answers to all of society's troubles. All the misfits, antisocials, petty lawbreakers, and more were sent down to Exile. And this proved to be his undoing.

Exile's History:

After the first few people were sent down, they established a city and began to fight the demons and sliths that threatened them. When the mages were sent down, they were able to help stage an assault on Grah-Hoth, and they captured him in a bottle and stored him in Akhronath, with the lich-ified Prince Hrothar, who had fallen in the battle, to watch over him.

When Micah was sent down, he worked closely with the archmages to establish a society. They created glowing mushrooms, built more cities, learned to fight, and they took over the caves.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 2773
Profile #3
Thank you.

--------------------
If we assume that at the start of the first game, Micah has been ruling for 20 odd years, and we take into account that he was atleast 30 by the time he took the throne. If we add a year for the events of the first game, then 5 years untill the second, a year for that game and the seven years untill the begginning of the third, then take a year to account for the last one...
Warrior
Member # 2275
Profile #4
Perhaps, if you added that onto drakefyre's creationalism theorems, and then added the 3 avernum ages, it would make for a particuarly interesting read.

--------------------
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code? in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code? Images not permitted.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
A detailed history is already being compiled, you know...

This is really just the skeleton of what is established knowledge. ;)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #6
Coming by 2005: The People's History of Avernum. :P

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #7
Perhaps we can commission New Line Cinema for the movie? :rolleyes:
Really, Avernum would make a great movie...
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #8
Which period? The whole lot would make a rather long movie...

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #9
Rather long? Like LotR. And it's even popular.

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
No, in time scale, not in story size. LotR may be big, but making a movie of this whole history would be like trying to turn the Silmarillion into a film.

Of course, there are always small individual stories. How about just the story of E/A III? :D

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #11
How about a triology as a movie in 3 parts

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #12
I wasn't serious -_-.

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Games and movies entertain in very different ways. The plot of one is almost always unsuited to the other. If a movie were made out of Avernum, it would either have to heavily alter the games or it would have to be set in a different part of history that lends itself more easily to movie format.

—Alorael, who certainly thinks that the First Expedition could be interesting. It could even be made as a very strange horror movie, where all the explorers eventually die gruesome deaths.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
As far as I know, games have been made from successful movies, and vice versa. Of course, in both cases the games rely on expensive graphics much more than Avernum does. ;)

The trilogy thing wouldn't work though: Unlike rpg players, someone who watches a series of 3 movies expects the heroes to remain the same ones. And a period of less than 30 years covered.

--------------------
---
---
Apprentice
Member # 2773
Profile #15
Theres just so many unfinished stories in A/E :

the first expedition, micah, grah-hoth, early history.

You enter avernum in the first game and its already established, a central government, several large towns, organised armies and great library's of learning.

I want to know what it was like for the people that built that society, when the first prisoner stepped through the portal, what did he do. When fort avernum was built, where were thier next footsteps.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
Most of the evidence is there in the Exile games. Grah-Hoth, early settlement, etc. are all expressed through books and NPCs.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00