Nethergate?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Nethergate?
Apprentice
Member # 3887
Profile #0
I was wondering, is this game any good?

--------------------
What can change the nature of a man?
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #1
Well, not really. It all depends. I have never bought the game, so I really wouldn't know. But from the experience I had with the demo, it didn't really seem that good.

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #2
to see if the game is good or bad just download the demo and play it for while

--------------------
I am the one and only Wizard!
WIZ GAMEZ The place to get the most recent gaming news! And now it has new layout!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
I thought that it was okay, but not nearly at the level of Exile.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #4
Opinions differ. I personally think Nethergate is the best from all Spidweb games. I'd like it even better if some functions worked as in A3, though.

EDIT: type too fast, forget words... I do it all the time >_<.

[ Friday, January 16, 2004 03:37: Message edited by: Sokerirotta ]

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
The engine isn't as advanced as it is in Avernum, but the game itself is great. Neither of the two sides take as long as an Exile game to complete, but they're both great, and it's also fun seeing how they relate.

—Alorael, who also has to say that the plot is actually a plot, unlike most of the Exile/Avernum games. There are plenty of side quests, but you always have a clear main goal.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #6
I like the plot myself, even if the gameplay isn't up to the level of the Avernum series (which I like better than the Geneforge engine, btw). So I personally recommend it, but if you don't like historical games it may not be for you.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #7
Nethergate, whatever else it may be, cannot be described as historically accurate. If you believe that the Sidhe wandered around with Celts and Romans, well....

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #8
I happen to have a special fondness for Nethergate. Then again, I also make conspicuous note of the people who have bashed it so far in this topic consider Geneforge the best thing since the Baby Jesus on sliced bread; I found it to play a lot like a kludgy Fallout with Pokémon, so you have to take opinions as they are.

I'd get it if I were you.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #9
I still prefer Exile to Avernum and Geneforge bores me a bit. Nethergate - you cannot compare it to either series, it is unique. Not in Jeff Vogel's usual style at all, but the best he's done so far in my opinion.

[ Friday, January 16, 2004 11:26: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #10
If you play the games for storyline, Nethergates is one of Spidweb's best games.

In terms of gameplay itself, it's not as polished as Avernum (because it was Avernum's predecessor), but it is still pretty good and has some unique elements that don't exist in either Exile or Avernum series.

Overall, I'd suggest downloading the demo and trying it. If you get so addicted that you have to register the game, you'll agree that it's good. :)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However, well-placed word, unlike a well-placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3862
Profile #11
I would have to say that any game from the Avernum series is better then Nethergate just because it is but that is just my opinion.

--------------------
Legends tell that Avernum,
Is a gateway to the underworld,
from which the dead never return,
Well thats a lie because im here now aren't I.
--------------------------------
"Never get into a fight with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #12
I never said that Nethergate was historically accurate, just that it's historical - like a historical fiction novel, it's set in a historical place and goes from there.

That said, it is a good game, even with its flaws. And even with the Avernum series being better.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #13
I can state confidently that Nethergate's a fine game, although I haven't played it extensively. The Avernum series is well-made as well, but Nethergate's story struck me as being, in some way, more important than Avernum's. All the events and happenings in Nethergate somehow seem to mean more, to have more gravity to them. That's the impression I obtained from playing both games.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #14
One of the more unique and interesting (and at times annoying) things found in Nethergate was the magic system. It's more akin to Geneforge's system, but more complex. Overall I thought it was pretty well done.

---Your Spiderweb Maniac, Necris Omega

--------------------
Sanity is a relative concept. And like most my relatives, I rarely see it.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." ~ Albert Einstein
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #15
Nethergate is a very good game and a deeply flawed game at the same time. Whilst the engine improved from then onwards, it got progressively less fun until you reached A3 (although I'm partly biased because of A3's excreable combat balancing.)

There are plenty of things I would have preferred to have been done differently in this game. But for what it is, it's still the best Spiderweb game except BoE.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again