Which RPG should I try?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Which RPG should I try?
Apprentice
Member # 3887
Profile #0
I'm a huge RPG fan, having played more than any one person ever should. While I love big name titles, I never really saw many 'garage' RPGs that were actually any good. I saw an article in PC Gamer about Shrapnel Games (whom I already knew about. They are quite good, by the way) and a company I never heard of called Spiderweb Software. Well, they intrigued me enough to check out the site, so I downloaded the Geneforge demo and enjoyed it, and may buy it soon.

But I was wondering if any of hte other RPGs on this site are more story driven, maybe something akin to Planescape: Torment? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

--------------------
What can change the nature of a man?
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #1
The Exile/Avernum (Avernum is a remake of Exile) series are far more story oriented.

However, without a doubt Spiderweb's best product to date is Blades of Exile (Blades of Avernum will be with us shortly). The three scenarios that come with Blades are fairly average and uninteresting, but the real interest comes from the scenario editor shipped with it, which allows you to play literally hundreds of third party scenarios, or make your own.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #2
If you want to try a spider web game I recommend Avernum 3.I not spider web games try Diablo 2.Or if you hate too much violence play a game called Deus Ex or it's squel Deus Ex-Invisible War.

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Diablo is about as far from story-driven as you can get. Deus Ex is, supposedly, but it's not an RPG.

—Alorael, who can't say for certain about Deus Ex since he has never played it, seen it, or contemplated it deeply.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #4
Deus Ex is actually a RPG.
See, "Role Playing Game", its about playing the role of a person in a story, playing the person the way you want his personality to be. An RPG game don't necesarily have to have levels or from the top wiev gameplay, and in Deus Ex you can choose many phats that will lead to diferent consequenses.
And by the way, you can train skills for skill points too.

And Diablo 2 is a 2d action adventure game if you wanna use the right term.

[ Wednesday, January 14, 2004 10:24: Message edited by: Master Chief aka STD ]

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #5
Of course, you can twist the logic of the phrase "RPG" to include almost every game made, or only the games that have levels, turn-based combat, and fantasy worlds. It's all a matter of interpretation. Personally, I fall somewhere between the two, and would advise the newcomer to start with Avernum 1 rather than just skipping to A3.

--------------------
"... and approximately one sea turtle."
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
Black Isle (may its soul rest in peace) can't really be considered a garage company, but give Fallout and Fallout 2 a spin anyway. They're incredibly open-ended, but despite this, they are actually quite good once you get beyond the fact that the GUI is as much of a wasteland as the setting the game takes place in. (The pixelation of the graphics annoyed me some towards the beginning.) And unlike other RPGs that dump the player in odd situations, Fallout and its successor thereof both give the player the right ammount of freedom and the right ammount of direction.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #7
Like I said Deus-ex.Als maybe you wan't to try Hitman or Hitman 2.You play as an assasin with 90% stealth and 10% force.However the requirements of these games are too high.Unlike spider web games.

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #8
As Aarrow Swift mentioned, I would start with A1, then A2 and A3, because there is a continuous story. It's nice to meet again NPCs, you know already from the previous game.
I suppose there is a bargain, if you buy all three Avernums together (and I am still annoyed, that I bought one after the other ...)

--------------------
site of the month:
Do not trample down the earth on which you walk.
Calculate your personal footprint.
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #9
I'll back the votes for Avernum. Also Nethergate and possibly Geneforge.

The non-computer game I'd reccomend is Traveller - www.travellerrpg.com for the D20 version - if you like that kinda thing.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.