Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #0
I’m very interested in his "Stuff", but the quotes and stuff I have is only gathered from books and games and stuff.
So I wondered, do any of you know anything about him, or where I can get a free internet version of "The Art of War" except if I get it illegally?

--------------------
Crom!
No
Beat

I HATE 1337!!!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #1
Not entirely sure, but I personally wouldn't bother. My understanding is that it's made up of vague platitudes and is mostly considered to be such a work of genius because it was written in China around 2000BC.

It's a great guide in the same way that horoscopes are. Whether this is deliberate or purely because Chinese court poetry wouldn't pick the point out of a lineup if it was 20ft tall, fluorescent orange and wearing a nametag.

Sun Tzu may have more relevance today than Vegetius, Maurice of Nassau, Clausewitz and pretty much any other military thinker prior to Guderian, but that's because he's much less objective.

Great commanders are great commanders because they're brilliant logisticians or fantastic at using terrain or inspirational motivators or just because they've spent their whole lives learning the ropes. Any knowledge of Sun Tzu is only useful in projecting a 'cultured' facade.

I realise you didn't want an exposition of my views on authors of military strategy. What you really want is Google.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #2
Well, I’m interested anyway, and google often brings me sucky results in my opinion, so what I looked for was someone who either: Have education on the subject, or: Just knows something.

--------------------
Crom!
No
Beat

I HATE 1337!!!
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #3
quote:Originally written by Distantly Bemused:
What you really want is Google.Ah, so true, so universally true!

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #4
The Art Of War is to war as the Tao Te Ching is to ruling a nation. It's a Taoist outlook on how to perform the action in the most balanced, natural way possible.

TAOW is definitely worth reading at least once. It's no more "vague platitutes" than the Tao Te Ching itself.

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Warrior
Member # 3417
Profile Homepage #5
I totally agree. The Art of War is a classic, mind-expanding read. In a true Taoist manner the subtlest of truths can be gleaned from what appears to be the most general axioms.

It takes a great deal of thought and reflection, and hence does not make for a fast read, but IMHO it is well worth the effort.

You can buy it used for less than $3 at most bookstores, on Amazon for $5, or download it as an e-book on e-bay for $2.

Well worth the money!

--------------------
This space intentionally left blank.
Warrior
Member # 3417
Profile Homepage #6
Huh. Just noticed I got to 50 posts and a title change. Given my scarcity of posting, this is quite an accomplishment for me.

And I have no problem with this blatant spam-post to boost my total by 2% to 51!

--------------------
This space intentionally left blank.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
I've read TAOW. Didn't find it particularly impressive, frankly. Didn't see what there was to reflect on, either; I finished it within a day. Then again, I'm a fairly prosaic and literalistic person; subtexts and hidden meanings generally do nothing for me unless I'm clubbed around the head with them.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #8
TAOW may have some value if read as a whole, I've just read excerpts. But the thing that really irritates me is the sort of reaction to it you'll find in, for example, the Shogun manual.

Reading TAOW does not mean you know everything that needs to be known about warfare and will always beat a general who hasn't read TAOW.

From what I have read of it, it's just a very long-lived book of general good principles.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #9
quote:Originally written by Distantly Bemused:
Reading TAOW does not mean you know everything that needs to be known about warfare and will always beat a general who hasn't read TAOW.Well, it was written 4000 years ago, acording to you, so I have a feeling that Sun Tzu wasnt prepared for nuclear warheads (Or MP-40s for that sake).

EDIT: Or musketeers for that sake.

[ Friday, December 12, 2003 11:13: Message edited by: Master Chief aka STD ]

--------------------
Crom!
No
Beat

I HATE 1337!!!
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #10
Ha,
Here it is. Should be in a text file at the bottom of the page.

http://www.gutenberg.net/browse/BIBREC/BR132.HTM

--------------------
The Universe Never Did Make Sense; I Suspect It Was Built On A Government Contract- Robert Heinlein