C

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: C
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #0
I need a free program for coding (well, studying) C. Using Win XP Home, I am.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #1
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #2
Hmmm... I should check that out later
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #3
Actually, on that note, I need some kind of free tutorial type thing about Mac programming. I don't know what the best language is; give me whatever you know, I guess. I've been meaning to learn programming for a while now but I always forget to look for a good tutorial... and anyway, I figure that it would be better to get recommendations than just downloading random stuff from Google. Help, peoples.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #4
With the possible exception of a couple of languages (C#?) I'm pretty sure that all languages are cross-platform. You might want to find someone who knows what they're talking about in programming terms (or a group of someones!) and ask them what a good language to start learning how to program would be.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #5
Actually, C# is somewhat cross-platform. It's available for both Windows and Unix, and works mostly the same on both platforms.

C is omnipresent, but not altogether uniform across those platforms. It's also too unsafe and low-level for a beginning programmer.

Ruby is an excellent cross-platform language, but its syntax is just a little bit too pragmatic. It's a nice language if you're familiar with at least three other languages: Python, Perl, and Smalltalk.

Smalltalk is an excellent language -- the ultimate object-based language. The problem with using Smalltalk for tutelage is the vast difference in paradigm between it and more marketable languages.

The same applies to LISP and Scheme to some extent; although they are great languages (same with Haskell and ML), learning functional programming from the start may reduce your chances of effectively using imperative languages.

Perl is very likely the most useful language in the entire world, but its syntax is so incredibly idiosyncratic and loose that it breeds awful, awful programmers. Perl is definitely a language you should only learn once you've learned good habits from other languages.

Python is very likely the greatest language in the entire world. :-p There are parts of its syntax I dislike, and its library is a bit inconsistent compared to most standardized languages, but it's a cross-platform interpreted language with strict grammar. The only issue with starting off with a language as great as Python is that you might feel crippled if you're forced to work with C or C++.

I use Python to develop Pygmalion, and it hasn't failed me yet. Yes, it's slower than compiled code, but there are situations in which that isn't important. One of those situations is for education.

http://www.python.org/

--------------------
Thing of speed and beauty,
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black