Homeland since there isnt a place

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Homeland since there isnt a place
Warrior
Member # 3452
Profile #0
what do you think of homeland:stone of night? i thought it sucked but thats just me... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Homeland since there isnt a place_files/biggrin.gif)

i noticed i have 5 star karma... why would someone do that? i deserve a 0 star karma

[ Thursday, October 23, 2003 03:39: Message edited by: caovhc1 ]

--------------------
Look!!! I have a signature!!! Drakefyre is the coolest!!!
Posts: 75 | Registered: Wednesday, September 10 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 1695
Profile #1
its because you have only one vote, if you want, i can get it down to 2-3 by giving you a 0
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #2
Karma is useless. So is Homeland. That's why you should ignore both.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #3
*votes 5*

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #4
I've only got as far as the demo for Homeland and thought it was OK. The plotting is quite clever in places, though I haven't really got round to using the magic system yet. Killing all those snakes at the start to raise dosh enough for decent equipment was a bit tiresome, I'll concede.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #5
That game was so bad, I think my brain started to bleed from boredom.

--------------------
I be rockin' da paradise baby.
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #6
Here I'l help.

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #7
Eat some waffles and drink some coffee and download another spiderwebsoftware game and if you already have all the games and had enough food go shoot yourself. I'm nice huh?

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #8
No. You're also warned for double-posting. -_-
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #9
I've also only played the demo, and though I found that the plot, graphics, and music were all quite creditable, the gameplay was singularly frustrating. It was impossible for me to figure out the controls in the least, and the real-time combat drove me to near insanity. There are games that do real-time combat right (Diablo) and those that do it wrong (Homeland).

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Stughalf:

I've also only played the demo, and though I found that the plot, graphics, and music were all quite creditable, the gameplay was singularly frustrating. It was impossible for me to figure out the controls in the least, and the real-time combat drove me to near insanity. There are games that do real-time combat right (Diablo) and those that do it wrong (Homeland).
Sorry, but you're raping the meaning of the word plot if you're claiming that Homeland has one. And what graphics? The ones that are damn ugly and don't work and should die in a hole? Now, before I pick on your claim about Homeland having MUSIC in it.. you, sirs, ARE A RAPIST! You ARE RAPING the word music by claiming that Homeland has some in it!

I would, however, like to thank you for one of the sentences in your post. And that was the one where you referred to Homeland as you spoke about games that should die and screw the real-time combat up.

Thank you for your time.

[ Sunday, October 26, 2003 08:44: Message edited by: I PRESS YOUR PRECIOUS BUTTON ]

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #11
All right, all right, all right, I was simply comparing what I found from playing the game compared to what I had expected before playing it. My expectations had, of course, been very low, so I ended up being slightly pleasantly surprised by what I actually found from playing Homeland.

In my humble opinion, though I believe the music from Homeland to be very poor, it still can be classified as music. The same, unfortunately, cannot be said of techno-dance, the true rapist of the meaning of music.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #12
This thread finally prompted me to play beyonmd the demo borders. I wish I hadn't. I found having to kill 1,000+ snakes for experience and equipment enough to survive the compulsory melees in the first dungeon tiresome, but things got worse, not better thereafter.

After clicking through featureless terrain for 20 minutes (real-time!), you finally reach the next town (one of only three on the 'continent' of Octavia). You can buy things from merchants or find out who's the local werewolf. As you're dealing with one option dialogue, this doesn't take too long (bad like the riddles in Avernum, where the dialogue gives you the answers...). A servant telling you not to kill wolves as he's concerned about the local ecological balance ("you feel he is not telling you the whole truth") was a bit of a giveaway too. The 'boss' turns out to be the local lord's grumpy mistress - not exactly an awe-inspiring challenge, combat-wise.

Thence another 20 minutes tedious clicking to the capital and another non-mystery to chase. You do get to learn magic here, though the 'tests' basically consist of 'cast the spell you've just been taught and go through the next area before it runs out'. Very testing - or trying, rather! During a sidequest, your dog learns to talk, but never says anything more interesting than 'get on with the next mission', like all the other NPCs do.

After this, you get teleported to a tower and have to do three simple things in the right order - and typically total darkness as the Light spell is so inconsistent and crap. This done, you have completed just about everything there is to do on the Octavian 'continent' other than bash randon, annoying monsters. One of the few sidequests left was clicking for 20 minutes up a ravine. For the effort, I'd expect the Holy Grail at least, but at the end is a hut with a slightly-better-than-usual bow in and a few big scorpions to squish randomly whilst trekking back. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Homeland since there isnt a place_files/mad.gif)

Anyway, you're told to leave for the neighbouring 'continent' (two towns there, I believe) by following the coast to the northern ice. You do, but a game bug won't let you go more than a few leagues - no ice, no new 'continent', no end to 'Homeland'. Well, it was for me - off to the Trashland of No Return. I want those two days of my life back, please sir!
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #13
Interestingly enough the author of Homeland is currently working on a
sequel, so I guess that means he's received enough positive comments from
people to motivate himself to continue his work.
Although it might be better if he made a new RPG entirely to avoid
association with something most people seem to hate.

I would like to point out that one of the maps (which are in BMP format
so you might be able to edit them) contains an island shaped like the
letters 'nate wuz here'. Apparently his map designer was named nate,
but I find this not very professional.

--------------------
Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heilighthum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder, was die Mode streng getheilt,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder, wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Pieter Simoons aka Radiant

Official Crystal Shard and SubTerra webpage